2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Duramax Diesel | MotorWeek Road Test

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Screenshot_20201015-063916__01.jpeg

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I can't remember exactly what the issue was with them, but my brother in law used to make a killing replacing engines. He would buy them for dirt cheap, put an engine in them and flip them. It was something in the top end, like they would drop valves or break springs.

Typical for Chrysler products.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
The Ram engine is from VM, not MB.

Yup, and I wonder if the cam bolt issue on the older Ecodiesel truck engines affected the previous vehicles that engine was used in prior to Ram using that in their truck

On a side note, most people don’t know, or have forgotten, the 5.0 Cummins that Nissan was using in the Titan was originally designed for the Ram 1500. The economy tanked and Ram pulled out of the idea. I had an Uncle who worked for Cummins as a lead engineer in the fuel systems department telling me about that back in the day.

Good thing they pulled out of that, that engine is an absolute pile of garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Yup, and I wonder if the cam bolt issue on the older Ecodiesel truck engines affected the previous vehicles that engine was used in prior to Ram using that in their truck

On a side note, most people don’t know, or have forgotten, the 5.0 Cummins that Nissan was using in the Titan was originally designed for the Ram 1500. The economy tanked and Ram pulled out of the idea. I had an Uncle who worked for Cummins as a lead engineer in the fuel systems department telling me about that back in the day.

I'm not sure Cummins even makes the ISV anymore. It would have made an interesting marine engine.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure Cummins even makes the ISV anymore. It would have made an interesting marine engine.

Nope. Pretty sure the line they were making that engine on was shut down.

Rumor has it, they’ve talked about getting into the battery market in place of it.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Mercedes.

Engine is Mercedes. It's not bad, sold millions in Sprinters and now Ram 1500s.

It's just who spends $3k in repairs and maintenance on a $2k SUV?

Doesn't really matter where it came from because what FCA puts in their vehicles is just pure trash.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Of all the noises I've heard an engine made, timing gear noise has to be the one thing I've never been able to pick out.

Its hard to pick out specific gear noise over a systemic noise such as timing chain rattle which usually is something else in the system. But the rattle is a combination of two components - could be gear wear and chain wear - that people hear. Immediately people replace the chains but never think to replace the gears themselves.

Also, if you have ever heard a gear driven cam you know exactly what type of gear noise that makes. Sounds like something trying to kill you.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Its hard to pick out specific gear noise over a systemic noise such as timing chain rattle which usually is something else in the system. But the rattle is a combination of two components - could be gear wear and chain wear - that people hear. Immediately people replace the chains but never think to replace the gears themselves.

Also, if you have ever heard a gear driven cam you know exactly what type of gear noise that makes. Sounds like something trying to kill you.

I can't pick out gear drive noise on any the Big 3 larger diesels.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

Cummins was originally for the Toyota Tundra and even GM was in talks about using it the next generation Hummer H2.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Cummins was originally for the Toyota Tundra and even GM was in talks about using it the next generation Hummer H2.

Ford still produces the 4.4L V8 diesel, but never put it in a Blue Oval vehicle. GM shelved the 4.5L Duramax in favor of the 3.0.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Have you been around a 2020 6.7 Powerstroke? A stock Fiesta ST has more engine noise.

our 750 at work is a 19 6.7 and it's crazy how quiet it is, they can park outside my office window and I don't know if its idling or not.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Have you been around a 2020 6.7 Powerstroke? A stock Fiesta ST has more engine noise.

I have and didnt think it was dead quiet. They certainly have reduced the usual ridiculous noise from a diesel engine.

Users who are viewing this thread