2020 GT500 DCT

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
It would be awesome if this new 2020 GT500 transmission could retro-fit any of our GT500's.

Plus....It's only rated at 11% drive train loss? Wow......New found Big Power :)->) .

Sorry.....just dreamin lol!

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
It would be awesome if this new 2020 GT500 transmission could retro-fit any of our GT500's.

Plus....It's only rated at 11% drive train loss? Wow......New found Big Power :)->) .

Sorry.....just dreamin lol!

didnt someone say this trans carries an msrp north of 20k and rated at 650ft lbs? The shifts are amazing but that serious money

PM-Performance

Established Member
DCT trans are not cheap. Control packs are a whole diff level too.
You would be invested more than the car is worth by a large amount just over a trans.

4VandHemiKiller

Established Member
They weren't going to make 2 automatics. If anything there might be a manual option in the 2021.

Automated manual/DCT is sort of a manual minus the clutch pedal.

I only say they should have made the 10 speed optional for drag racers, which the GT500 has always been suited to. The 60’s GT500 were available with autos. The slush box 10-speed auto will more reliable, cheaper to fix and will launch better as the power climbs.

4VandHemiKiller

Established Member
10r140 already going in the trucks, including behind the new 7.3 gasser, should bolt up I think?

I would imagine so, but the 10R140 is a physically much bigger transmission/case.

A stouter 10R80 (10R90 or 10R100) utilizing the 10R80 case would have been ideal.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Automated manual/DCT is sort of a manual minus the clutch pedal.

I only say they should have made the 10 speed optional for drag racers, which the GT500 has always been suited to. The 60’s GT500 were available with autos. The slush box 10-speed auto will more reliable, cheaper to fix and will launch better as the power climbs.

so you feel a 10r80 would be better suited to drag racing than a DCT?
I think it’s pretty obvious though the new GT500 wasn’t intended to be a one trick pony like prior generations.
I’d be as bold to say it is more suited to a road course than a 1/4 mile track.

4VandHemiKiller

Established Member
so you feel a 10r80 would be better suited to drag racing than a DCT?
I think it’s pretty obvious though the new GT500 wasn’t intended to be a one trick pony like prior generations.
I’d be as bold to say it is more suited to a road course than a 1/4 mile track.

Ford has been pursuing the road course aesthetic with the GT500 since 2007. Why did the GT500 only come with a manual and road course ready performance package in 2011-up.

The GT500 is a high power, mod ready, supercharged, somewhat front heavy, 4000+ lb car. It does well on the road course for what it is, but it’s a drag racer at its core.

I honestly wish Ford would wake up to this truth.

I’d like to see:
Track pack = DCT, wing, etc.
Drag pack = strengthened 10R80 with the “box” option like the Demon

JRMotorsports55

Established Member
It will be interesting to see the longevity/maintenance costs of the DCT. Just ask a GTR owner how pricey it is to maintain those DCTs. Oil changes alone border $1000, and are needed at regular intervals. They are great transmissions, fast shifting, and great for acceleration, just curious how well they will hold up in the long term.

RBB

Established Member
It will be interesting to see the longevity/maintenance costs of the DCT. Just ask a GTR owner how pricey it is to maintain those DCTs. Oil changes alone border $1000, and are needed at regular intervals. They are great transmissions, fast shifting, and great for acceleration, just curious how well they will hold up in the long term.
Only if you go to the stealership. My brother owned a GT-R for a while, and all the ridiculously overpriced maintenance can be completed in your garage with some basic hand tools, fluids, and a little bit of your time.

RBB

Established Member
Yes, But those who can afford a 100K plus car really do not do their own maintenance.
I know plenty of guys who do. My brother had no problem purchasing the car, but he did have a problem with getting ripped off at the dealership for simple maintenance.

I could buy a 2020 GT500, but would still do my own maintenance for a couple of reasons. I don’t like throwing money away on simple things I can do myself, I don’t always trust others doing the work, and I actually enjoy most of it.

Users who are viewing this thread