2021 Nissan 370Z Prototype

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have to say that I like it much better than the Toyota Supra. The design isn't over the top and definitely has some retro cues that are nice. The twin-turbo V6 should mean 400+hp. The 2020 NA 370Z V6 pumps out 332hp while the Nismo verion ups that to 350hp. The 2021 Z will offer a 6-speed option as well as auto.

From Fox News

The Nissan 370Z has been on sale for over a decade, but the brand’s next sports car will resemble something much older than that.

nissan-z-proto-4.jpg

The Nissan Z Proto revealed Tuesday night is the prototype for the 370Z’s long-awaited replacement.

nissan-z-proto-3.jpg

The two-seat coupe harkens back to the style of the 1970 240Z, with a similar profile and retro badges to drive the point home.

nissan-z-proto-badge.jpg

It’s also something of a greatest hits design, with taillights inspired by the 300ZX of the 1990s and a large rectangular grille opening like the 370Z’s.

nissan-z-proto-2.jpg

As a work in progress, exact specifications aren’t yet being offered, but Nissan said it is powered by a twin-turbocharged V6 and confirmed that a six-speed manual transmission is being developed, even as many other sports cars are only available with automatics. (The production model will have one of them, too, of course.)

It also has a hand brake lever and a relatively straightforward interior design, with three knobs for the climate controls below a touchscreen infotainment system and three analog performance gauges on top of the dash.

nissan-z-proto.jpg

The instrument cluster is all digital and sits behind a deep-dish steering wheel, while there are air vents incorporated into the doors.

nissan-z-proto-5.jpg

An on-sale date and price target were not announced, but the current 370Z starts at $31,015 while the recently rebooted Toyota Supra goes for $51,945 with a turbocharged straight-six.

jshen

Established Member
Too little- too late. Nissan has been using that same V-6 for 20 years! Why in the hell not use a detuned RS 3.8 or 4 liter...Nissan never attempted to do squat with this car and let it age-just like GM and SS....

I had 3 z's in my life 280 turbo, 300 turbo, twin turbo 90 model...All of the poorly engineered. It would be fun to see a LS7 swap, plus rear end to take it.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
thank god they didn't turn it into a big bulky SUV.
Yep! LOL.

I want to see more specs as time goes on, and maybe other changes from this prototype, although I would doubt the changes will be much from what we're seeing. I'm also wanting to see the pricing. If the suspension and power train are very different from the 2020, the pricing could approach Supra territory.

5.0Black

Established Member
The car has grown on me since first seeing the images. The rear and sides I actually like now. I think the hood has nice lines, but the front end of the car just doesn't work for me. Perhaps it will grow on me like the rest of the car, but I just don't find it to work with the remaining 3/4 of the car. I am happy to hear they are getting away from the NA 6 they have been using for decades now.

Users who are viewing this thread