26s spline input shaft length?

cj428mach

Established Member
So it seems like Tremec has no intentions of making them anymore? :( Either way post up a picture of the input shaft when you get it, did they disclose if it's a 1 or 2 piece design?

I think he mentioned it was $400.00

I tried calling the place twice and left a message but haven't heard back yet. I hope its 1 piece as I'll slap my friend silly if he ordered 2 piece for us lol. I'd think if Tremec was recommending them it would be top notch.......maybe Waffleman will come in here and comment.

RichM1983

Established Member
As long as the splines and bearing surfaces are in the right spot the length of the snub past the splines that goes into the pilot bearing shouldn't matter as long is it doesn't go too deep and contact the crank. I can't tell from pics but it looks like the splines and bearing surfaces are in the right spot. Did you test fit the the shaft in the pilot bearing?

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
As long as the splines and bearing surfaces are in the right spot the length of the snub past the splines that goes into the pilot bearing shouldn't matter as long is it doesn't go too deep and contact the crank. I can't tell from pics but it looks like the splines and bearing surfaces are in the right spot. Did you test fit the the shaft in the pilot bearing?

That's my concern as well, if the input itself is too long the transmission won't even sit into place and bolt down all the way on the bell housing.

RichM1983

Established Member
That's my concern as well, if the input itself is too long the transmission won't even sit into place and bolt down all the way on the bell housing.

You could always grind it down. I'm sure for what you paid it would be BS to have to "make" it work.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
Ok so I finally got around to installing my 26 spline input shaft and there the same length
E97D59A2-4A69-4B07-8587-2E0C88D7B146_zpsji4egokp.jpg

What should the bolts be torqued to that hold the input shaft in

elcobrita

Established Member
Any updates?

^^^^

Any updates on anybody getting input shafts in stock or if this one is functioning correctly?

I'm having trouble seating the last 1/2 inch of my tranny. The shaft looks like it's gonna fit. I measured it from the end of the splines to the end of the shaft and it was the same as the distance from the pilot bearing to right outside the disc. I threw the tranny up without the bellhousing and it went all the way in. For some reason I can't get it all the way in with my bellhousing on. I haven't had much time to try it after that.

Bigggy

Established Member
Try recentering the clutch disc OR (somes don't like that) but use the bolts to pull the rest of the trans in. Screw each bolts equally very carefully and if you encounter any resistance stop.

elcobrita

Established Member
Try recentering the clutch disc OR (somes don't like that) but use the bolts to pull the rest of the trans in. Screw each bolts equally very carefully and if you encounter any resistance stop.

Thanks. I will try those methods. I'm clearing the 2 discs. I think I'm getting stuck on the pilot bearing. I can see the little scuffs from where I hit it with the shaft. I'll try some more today when get off work

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member

I've done this also in the past, OP let us know if it ends up working.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I'm having trouble seating the last 1/2 inch of my tranny. The shaft looks like it's gonna fit. I measured it from the end of the splines to the end of the shaft and it was the same as the distance from the pilot bearing to right outside the disc. I threw the tranny up without the bellhousing and it went all the way in. For some reason I can't get it all the way in with my bellhousing on. I haven't had much time to try it after that.

perhaps it has nothing to do with the shaft. mine wouldn't seat with a plastic alignment tool. I took it apart twice and mocked it up with no clutch, etc, couldn't see a problem. I bought a steel alignment tool (from RAM) and it slid in like a charm.

RichM1983

Established Member
If its that close have someone hit the clutch pedal about half way down and relieve some tension while you shove on the trans. It should pop right in. I have done that before.

cj428mach

Established Member
Sounds promising, keep us posted. Maybe you can get the guy to e-mail you some pics.

I finally got a call back from Dederich Motorsports today about 2 weeks after I left a message, it kind of surprised me lol. Joe told me that he had just got done machining a batch of input shafts and that he had one that he'd sell me if I was still looking. The price was $450 and the shaft is supposed to be a brand new 1 piece shaft made specifically for the 03/04 Cobra. I have made other arrangements so I passed on it but wanted to let others know that their is a source for these things now.

elcobrita

Established Member
perhaps it has nothing to do with the shaft. mine wouldn't seat with a plastic alignment tool. I took it apart twice and mocked it up with no clutch, etc, couldn't see a problem. I bought a steel alignment tool (from RAM) and it slid in like a charm.

It doesn't have anything to do with the clutch. I think the plastic spline tool sucks. I already had to take it off once because the shaft wouldn't go in at all. I then used the input shaft as an alignment tool

elcobrita

Established Member
If its that close have someone hit the clutch pedal about half way down and relieve some tension while you shove on the trans. It should pop right in. I have done that before.

I tried that because I had read it here.

Only issue is when I depress the clutch when the form comes forward and hits the fingers, it pushes the tranny out.

RichM1983

Established Member
I tried that because I had read it here.

Only issue is when I depress the clutch when the form comes forward and hits the fingers, it pushes the tranny out.

Put in a couple bolts snugged up against the bell housing so it wont push the transmission back any further.

Users who are viewing this thread