3.3L whipple kit fot GTO already and we still dont have one.

Emmerson_Biggins

Huge, that is
Established Member
Don't plan on selling it, just making it available. I was willing to put together a complete kit (see first page) but I think this better. Just give credit where credit is due if it all works out and we make power with it. And no, I don't necessarily mean just me, evil ss started this LOL

Twinturbo Ranger

Established Member
Sorry to bring this back up, but while driving home I realized I used a very poor example in my above post to debate my point. What got me started on this topic was I felt some people would read this and go buy a 3.3 because it's bigger and it has to be better. I still feel for the street guys the 2.3 will be a better choice. I was trying to make the point that the combiantion made the power not one component. However since then I have seen the guy who originally posted say he is planning on cams and ported heads, so yes the bigger blower may be better. Plus I am not one to down anyone for trying anything, hence the truck I built, I just didn't feel the 3.3 is for everyone.

Now the example I gave on weight is poor. I should have compared blowers of the same model. The reason I say that is they(whipple/roots and centrifugal) operate at two different rpm(20,000 compared to 60,000) ranges, actually because of weight and design. I still feel that a 3.3 will soak up more power because of it's size over a 2.3, although I'm not sure how much a difference it would be. I know a A- trim Vortech would use considerably less power than a X-trim. This is how I should have made my arguement. I just wanted to correct myself.

Now back to the discussion..
I know of someone that has fitted the 3.3 to a Lightning motor if that information would help you guys at all?? I can put up a link to the topic if that helps.

Thanks Mike:beer:

Evil SS

Established Member
Evil04.... I would like to do whatever I can. I will have 15k or more in income to throw at my 03 Cobra in 8 weeks time. (selling one of my buildings) I will have the little things like headers exst ect.. before the 15 k. I will do 95% of the labor myself. My plans are...

3.3L whilpple.
heads/cams/solid Vt/o-ringed w copper gasket/head studs
Gen 7 DFI
solid axle...ect..
complete aromotive fuel system.

maybe a auto trans swap and a 5.0 stroker when the bottem end lets go. If you need someone to test fit this I will be more than happy to do so. I am willing to go with a hood and cutiing, as long as the wipers can be made to work.

We can get around emission in IL if its not yor every day car.

Originally posted by evil04cobra
Bang for the buck ; 2.2 or 2.3

Unequalled performance (in the screw category) ; 3.3

Evil SS-- I don't need an apprentice, but certainly do appreciate the offer. I am going to be needing several different inputs from several different people as I start to figure out what you may or may not be willing to do to run this blower. i.e. Are you willing to change hoods, clearance the firewall, give a crap about emissions, etc.

I plan on designing something that I can share with you, and have you be able to go to any machinist with a CNC machine, download the program and make the part(s).

The next step, tuning, will probably involve several of us. You will have to buy your own whipple, bolt it to the adapter, and tune it.
We need to develop a think tank for ideas, what's working and what's not, I will probably have mine tuned to save time, once the hard parts are installed. I will be happy to share my R&D with you, but tuning secrets will probably stay, well, secret. Our initial computer models show 700RWHP easily, and well within the grasp of the fine sponsors of this site.

Don't be suprised if we do the leg work and someone buys the plans from me. Stay posted. :beer:

Last edited:

Evil SS

Established Member
Evil04CObra- Doug Holloway from Billetflow in MI says he has a upper intake that the 3.3L will bolt to. If you would like me to forward his message and contact #s I will be happy to do so.

-Gordon

Twinturbo Ranger

Established Member
Yep thats what I thought. I wish they offered more options for the Lightning too. Right now I'm building a new longblock with ported heads and new cams, but the old KB will be bolted back on top. I wanted to build a turbo kit, but the block took all my funds!!

Evil SS

Established Member
Can someone post that pic in this thread? They also have a polished case 3300ax as well. By the looks of the blower on the 5.4 it seems that we wont have to do anything to the fire wall. It looks like some cutting of the hood or a cowl hood and that thing will fit!

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Originally posted by evil04cobra
Don't plan on selling it, just making it available. I was willing to put together a complete kit (see first page) but I think this better. Just give credit where credit is due if it all works out and we make power with it. And no, I don't necessarily mean just me, evil ss started this LOL

I'll tatoo both your names on my ass if this works :rockon: lol.
OK maybe I won't go that far, but credit would definetly be made known to both of you for the extra efforts put into this.

By making plans available do you mean "free":eek: :bowdown: :beer:

I think we should start a new thread titled "Whipple 3.3L R&D". :shrug:

Last edited:

Emmerson_Biggins

Huge, that is
Established Member
Yes I mean free, if I charged you, in some states I would incur a liability. I don't want to be responsible in a court of law for helping you damage your engine, if I do it for free I cannot be sued. That and if I need support I'm more likely to get it if it doesn't look like I'm out for a buck.

Evil SS

Established Member
Would you offer the upper manifold for sale? Again if you want I will test one. I just need the manifold and the part #s for the 3300ax.

Some one saw my post here and went asking about my camaro over on LS1tech. He got all the vortecj lovers telling me to go with a YS trim.....LOL the Domestic hot rod community is a very small one!

Emmerson_Biggins

Huge, that is
Established Member
I plan on making the CNC programs for the lower available to anyone that wants them, but do not plan on making extras to sell. This may change, but right now my sole concentration is on the 3.3L compressor map I have in front of me, and a few dimensional drawings. Then I'm gonna have to figure out how the inlet tube, EGR, and boost bypass fit in to the equation. Plan on the inlet tube being sheet stock, don't know what thickness yet .............. AAAARRRRGH !!! I'm thinking too much. Stay posted, good things come to those who wait.

Emmerson_Biggins

Huge, that is
Established Member
We have run into our first official snag. I will post what's up tonight after another engineer takes a look at the blower efficiency map. I will start a new thread in the blower bistro.

Emmerson_Biggins

Huge, that is
Established Member
It's official, the 3.3 has the same maximum pressure ratio as the 2.3L. Right around 2.2. That is just a little over 17 pounds of boost. I have a call into Lysholm in Sweden, because getting this kind of information from Whipple is impossible. I need to know what happens if that pressure ratio is exceeded. We got the aluminum today for the adapter plate a 36 x 36 x 2 piece of aircraft grade stuff. As of today, that's the weather, stay tuned for sports.

Users who are viewing this thread