3.55 to 4.10 Gears.

SicShelby09

Banned
So whats my speedo going to do? Faster or slower than actual? And I know a tuner will fix it. I just have to get one. Here are the gears I want.

Frpp 4.10s
Ford Racing Performance Parts

They are $132 brandnew from Tousley and they have them in stock. What a great deal. What are the opinions of 4.10 gears in a manual 5.0 GT?

FIFTY

Established Member
I have mixed reviews about them... yes, you will get out of the hole faster.... BUT I believe you will be shifting into fifth gear at the end of the quarter mile(depending on mods), my tuner and I were discussing this very thing. Possibly a taller tire would offset this? who knows, somebody with a six speed and 4.10's chime in and share there experince:)

2011redcandy

Established Member
I went from factory 3.55s to 4.10s. If you plan on staying NA, 100% do it. It will wake the car up like no other mod will except FI. My fuel mileage is around 23mpg on the highway. The speedo will read faster until you change it with a tuner.

I did 4.10s and a Shaftmaster Aluminum DS (about 25lbs lighter than stock) and it was like a new car. It would fry the pirellis right of it. Now that I have 315 NT05Rs this has been corrected, and its a wholeeee lot of fun.

Now that I am looking into FI options, I wish I had stayed 3.55s. Roushes, whipples and turbos are making the most power, but 4.10s is too much gearing for them to ever get traction. Depending on your tire size you will have to shift into 5th or run through the trap hitting the rev limiter.

Last edited:

SicShelby09

Banned
I went from factory 3.55s to 4.10s. If you plan on staying NA, 100% do it. It will wake the car up like no other mod will except FI. My fuel mileage is around 23mpg on the highway. The speedo will read faster until you change it with a tuner.

I did 4.10s and a Shaftmaster Aluminum DS (about 25lbs lighter than stock) and it was like a new car. It would fry the pirellis right of it. Now that I have 315 NT05Rs this has been corrected, and its a wholeeee lot of fun.

Now that I am looking into FI options, I wish I had stayed 3.55s. Roushes, whipples and turbos are making the most power, but 4.10s is too much gearing for them to ever get traction. Depending on your tire size you will have to shift into 5th or run through the trap hitting the rev limiter.

Thanks for the info man. I really want to stay NA, but my gut is telling me to just save all my pesos and get the procharger and be done with it. Because I will do all the usual NA mods and will end up getting bored with it. Then I will get the blower anyway and will be selling all the other stuff at a loss. I'll probably still get the CAI, tune, boss intake with the gears and have fun with it. But I know I should wait. I may get the gears either way though just to have fun with them in the mean time.

2011redcandy

Established Member
Yea, be careful with the boss intake though. If you notice, a lot of them are going up for sale, a lot of people are running slower 60' with them.

If you really love revving the car to 7500 and get the 4.10s, you should be fine though.

As far as doing all the mods and then going SC, well thats what I did, I partly regret it and partly dont. Youll get bored faster going straight to SC. Look into the Roushchargers, VMP had a stock 2011 they put a roush on and was running 10s with nothing more than the SC, LCA and drag radials with NO weight reduction

Last edited:

acrbill

Established Member
My car is at speed Inc. at the moment getting a 4.10 gear a new clutch and a lightened flywheel. I am hoping to make the cmc track day this Saturday.
As far as shifting into 5th at the track, I have 10k miles on my car and less than 10 miles worth of 1/4 mile so that is not a huge concern for me. I'll update once I pick my car up

wbt

Banned
3.90 is a Motive gear, and are known to whine (atleast this is what Justin @JPC advised to me, he told me to go with the FRPP 4.10s)

BS. I am running the 3.90 in my car and it is quieter than the stock 3.73 was.

3.90 allows you to stay in 4th in the 1/4 mile running a 28" tire.

99% of te time the only reason a gear will whine is when you have an incompetent installer.

Agreed however with this car, gear whine seems to be more prevalent regardless.

JackisBack

Established Member
lets get this straight for once using 5th gear is not a bad thing. its friggin 1:1 people...thats like telling 03 cobra guys not to shift into 4th and stay in 3rd. the thing to look out for is that your not shifting right at the stripe, you want be well into a gear not just getting into it crossing the stripe....perfect would be right at peak power crossing the stripe. this in turn makes 4.10s a bad choice, but if you 1/8 mile race that different too. 3.73 on stock height tire or jump to at least 4.30s and use a 26in tire at the track will work well and get 21mpg with stock wheels. really my view is 3.73(for 4th) or 4.56 (for 5th, NA of course) to really get you in the meat...and not get bad mpg ethier

1Quick4.6

Established Member
lets get this straight for once using 5th gear is not a bad thing. its friggin 1:1 people...thats like telling 03 cobra guys not to shift into 4th and stay in 3rd. the thing to look out for is that your not shifting right at the stripe, you want be well into a gear not just getting into it crossing the stripe....perfect would be right at peak power crossing the stripe. this in turn makes 4.10s a bad choice, but if you 1/8 mile race that different too. 3.73 on stock height tire or jump to at least 4.30s and use a 26in tire at the track will work well and get 21mpg with stock wheels. really my view is 3.73(for 4th) or 4.56 (for 5th, NA of course) to really get you in the meat...and not get bad mpg ethier

sorry this post was made by me. my friend was logged in on the computer, didnt realize it

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
No way I would put 4.10's in this car, as it is I skip shift now because they are so short. If you track the car weekly and are hell bent on lowering your ET then so be it, but I could not justify it for a DD.

acrbill

Established Member
Here is a chart I put together using charts I found online. Left is 3.55 Right is 4.10 I used my tire size 275/40/19. It helps put things in perspective.

gears.jpg

wbt

Banned
sorry this post was made by me. my friend was logged in on the computer, didnt realize it

Not disagreeing on the gear ratios however disagree on using 5th.

1. The quickest N/A M6 cars are staying in 4th.
2. I have personally seen a MT-82 go south at the track using 5th.
3. Staying in 4th means less chance to miss a shift.

The 3.90 is the optimal gear to run with the MT-82, running a 28" tire, and staying in 4th through the traps in the meat of the power.

I use this calc. when determining the optimal ratio:
Stan Weiss' - Automotive Performance Software / Interactive JavaScript to Calculate Speed(MPH) for given RPM, Rear Gear Ratio and Trans Gear Ratio

1Quick4.6

Established Member
Not disagreeing on the gear ratios however disagree on using 5th.

1. The quickest N/A M6 cars are staying in 4th.
2. I have personally seen a MT-82 go south at the track using 5th.
3. Staying in 4th means less chance to miss a shift.

The 3.90 is the optimal gear to run with the MT-82, running a 28" tire, and staying in 4th through the traps in the meat of the power.

I use this calc. when determining the optimal ratio:
Stan oWeiss' - Automotive Performance Software / Interactive JavaScript to Calculate Speed(MPH) for given RPM, Rear Gear Ratio and Trans Gear Ratio

How much gear did they have. I,m willing to bet if they went slower in 5th they didn't have enough gear to use 5th correctly. Have you seen a 4.56 car on 26in tires or a 4.88 car on a 28, because those would be the optimum use of fifth

wbt

Banned
How much gear did they have. I,m willing to bet if they went slower in 5th they didn't have enough gear to use 5th correctly. Have you seen a 4.56 car on 26in tires or a 4.88 car on a 28, because those would be the optimum use of fifth

jj@wms was running a 3.73 on his 11.12 pass. Stayed in 4th:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dhMKU72a30"]Woodbine Motorsports 2011 Mustang GT new best. 11.12@122mph with Boss Intake!!! - YouTube[/nomedia]

He is running a 28x12.5x15 ET Street

26" tire is too small for these cars when making 430+whp. I moved to a wider rim and larger tires to combat the wheel spin myself. I was running 8" rim with a 28x11.5x15 ET Street and it wasn't getting it done. This is with rear suspension mods.

2,500' DA:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWRwi-yaZFw"]2011 Mustang GT 11.63@118 - YouTube[/nomedia]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread