3.73's Installed Noisy When Decelerating

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Are you saying five.slow is screwed too since he has already been driving his with the loose backlash?:shrug:

Backlash may or may not have been my issue but according to my installer it's the gears themselves.

Do you agree that this sound is more intrusive than harmful to the rear end (if supposedly installed generally right)?

well you can still fix backlash, but once you driven on the gears you cant fix the pattern it 1st worn in. some people are lucky enough to be able to reset the gears an backlash an get rid of the noise, but most of the time the Damage is done an the noise will never go away. but on the plus side it wont do anything to harm the rearend just make noise unless everything is way off then you could have early gear wear.

Assuming this is correct and my shop is blowing smoke up my ass
Will this harm my car/rear end other than sounding annoying?

well yes an no. chances are its not going to harm anything. but if you paid the shop to do a gear install including parts an labor. then they need to fix this. if you bought the parts an had the shop install them you may be SOL because shops only have to warrenty the work an not the faulty parts.

Funny5.0

Established Member
:eek: WTF??????????

Exactly what it says...
Labor for install $635 total
Ford Racing Gears $179
3 bottle gear oil $ 50
Gear install kit $90

Total $ 954
The shit adds up
I know many people out there claim to pay 400 or even less for labor but there wasn't anything like that in my area.
The two Ford dealers around me wanted a couple hundred more for the labor.

Last edited:

Funny5.0

Established Member
well you can still fix backlash, but once you driven on the gears you cant fix the pattern it 1st worn in. some people are lucky enough to be able to reset the gears an backlash an get rid of the noise, but most of the time the Damage is done an the noise will never go away. but on the plus side it wont do anything to harm the rearend just make noise unless everything is way off then you could have early gear wear.

How extensive of a job is fixing backlash? All day Couple hours?

Ive been driving it a bit more now and can be more specific on the symptom:
Most pronounced when decelerating (letting off the gas) in 5th and 6th gear mostly 6th and mainly 60 and above mph. You can hear the sound at lower speed if you get the sound started in 6th at 60 or more mph and decelerate in neutral or in 6th to a slow speed (if that makes sense) The sound actually gets a bit louder in this situation as it winds down around 30-40.

In traffic rowing through 1st through 4th below 60ish it's pretty quiet.
You never here anything with your foot on the gas at any speed.

Does this description sound like a backlash issue?

cobra199711

Established Member
Man that sux. Been in your exact spot before, new gears only fix and that's if they install them correctly the second time around.

thebreather

Established Member
dont waste your time with backlash.ive seen quiet gears coming out for a swap with over
.030 backlash.i would almost guarantee its pinion depth..or possibly the crush collar wasnt done right.take it back,should be just as quiet as your other set was.

Funny5.0

Established Member
Man that sux. Been in your exact spot before, new gears only fix and that's if they install them correctly the second time around.

Yeah I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. The noise is a little annoying but doesn't seem like it's harmful to the longevity of anything.
The installer said they do the gears on 2011+ mustangs the same way everytime, most are quiet and some aren't.
He's said he's gone down the road many times where people had the noise and they opened it back up several times redoing everything and still had the noise.
Can installs be cookie cutter like this once you have it down? They seem to be very confident about their work. It's a very reputable shop that frequents the forums.
If so maybe my gears were defective.:shrug:
If not he knew the install was crap and it's too late easilly blaming the gears and getting away with it...

Last edited:

jasongt06

Established Member
Ive never paid more than $200 to have some gears set up. And they have never made any noise. I agree with the others that these gears will now always whine and the only way to correct it is to install a new ring and pinion that is setup properly.

Funny5.0

Established Member
Ive never paid more than $200 to have some gears set up. And they have never made any noise. I agree with the others that these gears will now always whine and the only way to correct it is to install a new ring and pinion that is setup properly.

Thanks that makes me feel so much better...
I'm going to have to live with the whine for meow I guess since it's not hurting the car. I refuse to shell out another grand with the possibility of having another bum install/gears.

Where do you people find $200 gear installs anyway :dw:
If you have a guy please let me know!! I live in MD.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Thanks that makes me feel so much better...
I'm going to have to live with the whine for meow I guess since it's not hurting the car. I refuse to shell out another grand with the possibility of having another bum install/gears.

Where do you people find $200 gear installs anyway :dw:
If you have a guy please let me know!! I live in MD.

Your only getting $200 for gear installs from people you know.

grnenvy

Established Member
If it makes noise now it will get worse with age. Get a new set of gears and have them do it over. If there not meshing right they make noise. Also if u have an aftermarket upper or lowers that will make the noise even louder.

Funny5.0

Established Member
If it makes noise now it will get worse with age. Get a new set of gears and have them do it over. If there not meshing right they make noise. Also if u have an aftermarket upper or lowers that will make the noise even louder.
I asked if I provided a new set of gears if they would cover another install and they said no since the whine was caused by a bad set of gears(so they say)
I have a hunch that it was probably in the install and they are giving me the easy way out default answer of "it's the gears themselves"covering their own butt.

On the flip side this is a reputable Maryland mustang shop that does gear installs regularly and the head of the shop sounded very confident in blaming the gears not the install so I'm torn.

In the end I'm not spending another cent on this crap. I'm only keeping this car for about another year.

Last edited:

try03venom

Established Member
This is common with gear installs when the crush sleeve isnt fully seated and the pre load is set. Then you drive it for a few miles down the road and when it seats the pre load is gone and you have a noisey out of spec gear set.

Funny5.0

Established Member
This is common with gear installs when the crush sleeve isnt fully seated and the pre load is set. Then you drive it for a few miles down the road and when it seats the pre load is gone and you have a noisey out of spec gear set.

It sounds like the majority here is saying it's all in the install and not the gears.
It sounds like my installer has some explaining to do (I know good luck getting that confession):rollseyes

This whole thing is major fail for me. I had a bad experience with a bad gear install at a Ford dealer a couple years ago and went to this place thinking they knew what there were doing. This install ended up being even worse as far as noise is concerned. I havn't even paid for the new gears themselves yet (chose the bill me lator option at American Muscle):nonono:

Last edited:

Funny5.0

Established Member
Alright here's the latest,

Ive also been hearing a mild clunk sound in the back when going over bumps since the install. I thought it was stuff I had in the trunk possibly making the noise (old gears, and parts from the swap). Took them out and the noise is still there. This sound definitely was not there before the gear swap!:mj:

What could cause this clunk sound relating to a gear swap??

Before I go in and challenge anything what are the chances the gear noise is the gears themselves like the installer said and not the install??

Last edited:

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
the clunk is probably the panhard bar not being tight enough. its a must to torque the bolts to the factory specs or you will get clunk noises. you have to pull the panhard bar off to do gears.

Funny5.0

Established Member
the clunk is probably the panhard bar not being tight enough. its a must to torque the bolts to the factory specs or you will get clunk noises. you have to pull the panhard bar off to do gears.

Great thank man I'll get them to tighten this. I hope that's all it is...

Back N Black

Killin' It
Established Member
Your installer is full of shit. Plain and simple. Gears whining 20% of the time out of his shop tells me he gets lucky more times than not.

For the person who was asking. Gear heads in Arlington is who ****ed my shit up twice. Dallas Mustang did them perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread