3.73's Installed Noisy When Decelerating

FreddieG

Established Member
Your installer is full of shit. Plain and simple. Gears whining 20% of the time out of his shop tells me he gets lucky more times than not.

For the person who was asking. Gear heads in Arlington is who ****ed my shit up twice. Dallas Mustang did them perfectly.

Thanks for the info...thats what I needed to know.

nocobrafornow

Established Member
This is really my primary mode of transportation.
I called the performance shop and they said from what it sounds like it is safe to drive and to bring it by at my earliest convenience.
He said nothing will come apart don't worry.
What's the worst that could happen?

From a quick google search based off my car's symptoms I came up with these as possible solutions :shrug::

• tighten down the pinion
  • re-adjust the backlash of the pinion and gear
  • bad pinion bearings or loose pinion bearing preload

this may have been cobered as i didn't want to read all the posts but i know on my 11gt, it only had 400 miles when the 3.90's went in so i reused the factory pinion bearing, done it many many times. well the new ones have a different tapper and it seemed like pressing it off the old pinion was very hard but it looked good and reused it. well car had same noise you describe. so ordered ne bearing and crush sleave reinstalled noise gone. might want to ask if they reused it. again sorry if already covered

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Alright here's the latest,

Ive also been hearing a mild clunk sound in the back when going over bumps since the install. I thought it was stuff I had in the trunk possibly making the noise (old gears, and parts from the swap). Took them out and the noise is still there. This sound definitely was not there before the gear swap!:mj:

What could cause this clunk sound relating to a gear swap??

Before I go in and challenge anything what are the chances the gear noise is the gears themselves like the installer said and not the install??

the clunk is probably the panhard bar not being tight enough. its a must to torque the bolts to the factory specs or you will get clunk noises. you have to pull the panhard bar off to do gears.

Don't forget to check the panhard bar brace as well. It's sometimes overlooked as well when reinstalled.

CPRsm

They screwed it up plain and simple. First they say it's normal, then a bad set of gears? If they set the gear pattern right then it doesn't make noise. If they couldn't get a good pattern, they woud know they were a mismatched set before the car car was run. If they knew before hand, they should have called you since you supplied the gears, to get them a new set. At that point I would have talked about charging for another install, or take ur chances w those gears. If you risked running it to avoid another install, it would be on you. You were never given that option. If it was indeed set up correctly and did make noise on their test drive you should have been notified. If you can clean the gears, mark them and run them I can tell you if they are set up correctly. You'll need to measure the backlash, too. But in all reality if the gears are in right and backlash is wrong, the pattern will show it as well. There are still other things that can foul it up. But gear pattern is most common.
You're in a tough spot no doubt.

Funny5.0

Established Member
If they set the gear pattern right then it doesn't make noise. If they couldn't get a good pattern, they woud know they were a mismatched set before the car car was run. If they knew before hand, they should have called you since you supplied the gears, to get them a new set. At that point I would have talked about charging for another install, or take ur chances w those gears. If you risked running it to avoid another install, it would be on you. You were never given that option.
Thank you for your comprehensive reply.
I can't believe they gave me my new car back like this! It sounds like crap and rear is clunking around:cuss:
Nothing was discussed with me. When I heard the whine and called about it they immediately blamed the gears and basically said in order to fix it I'd have to pay for new gears and labor. He said he promised they would be quiet next time... What if they're not pay for a 3rd gear install and gears?!

Were you saying they probably would have know if the gears were bad during the install?!

You're in a tough spot no doubt.

What you do if this were you?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Thank you for your comprehensive reply.
I can't believe they gave me my new car back like this! It sounds like crap and rear is clunking around:cuss:
Nothing was discussed with me. When I heard the whine and called about it they immediately blamed the gears and basically said in order to fix it I'd have to pay for new gears and labor. He said he promised they would be quiet next time... What if they're not pay for a 3rd gear install and gears?!

Were you saying they probably would have know if the gears were bad during the install?!

What you do if this were you?

if you paid by Credit card i would 1st go to the shop an ask them to try fix anything if they can. 2nd if that doesnt work well get a charge back on the install

Bowtie-X

Oh No.. not a NOOB again.
Established Member
Bulls***!! If some gears they installed made noise than they should have reinstalled until there wasn't any noise. A little noise might be ok depending on a person but you said you can hear over your radio?? That's a definite no no. You might think you can live with it but after awhile its only going to get worst and annoying. Make them fix the noise, period.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Funny5.0

Established Member
if you paid by Credit card i would 1st go to the shop an ask them to try fix anything if they can. 2nd if that doesnt work well get a charge back on the install

I hope it doesn't come to this.

Bulls***!! If some gears they installed made noise than they should have reinstalled until there wasn't any noise. A little noise might be ok depending on a person but you said you can hear over your radio?? That's a definite no no. You might think you can live with it but after awhile its only going to get worst and annoying. Make them fix the noise, period.

I agree and this is how I thought it worked to begin with. They immediataly blamed the gears and pretty much said SOL.
The sound has already gotten a little worse since yesterday...

CPRsm

How can he promise the next will be quiet but not this set?
What I'm saying is if they knew what they were doing, they would have seen the gear pattern wasn't right to begin with. If they aren't willing to fix it right I would take it to another shop and have them check the backlash and run the pattern for you. Hard to find someone who can actually read a pattern. If it's right they will have to start tearing it down checking bearing preloads and run out.
Gears can be a real pain, and you want to take the easy way out. My last one on a turbo car pissed me off to no end. A .001 change in pinion depth looked like I changed it .005. So the first move I made looked horrible, and I only went .003. Chased my tail for 7hrs trying to get it right when I only needed to move it .002 the first time. Ea move made no sense. They were incredibly sensitive to change. Would have been easier to give up and blame it on the gears. BUT, when I ran the pattern and saw what I wanted, there was no question whether they would make noise. Your noise will continue to get worse. Metal will get in the oil, then clutches and bearings and will slowly ruin everythi g

Last edited:

Funny5.0

Established Member
How can he promise the next will be quiet but not this set?
This right here and immediately blaming the gears makes them sound like they're full of crap.

What I'm saying is if they knew what they were doing, they would have seen the gear pattern wasn't right to begin with. If they aren't willing to fix it right I would take it to another shop and have them check the backlash and run the pattern for you. Hard to find someone who can actually read a pattern. If it's right they will have to start tearing it down checking bearing preloads and run out.

This sounds good but I'd have to pay for another install charge in this case which I can't really afford.

CPRsm

If the other shop verifies they were installed wrong, you shouldn't have to. You should be able to get new gears and the install for what they charged for an install the first time. They charged you for two installs. They should have had enough time to get it right lol

300AGT

Established Member
Going through the same thing . The OEM 3:73 got noisey overy time . Would make noise at part throttle form 40 to 60 MPH they go quiet from 60 to 70 MPH make noise at 75MPH then dead quiet from 80 to 150 MPH .

I had ford put in a new set of 3:73 in the car. Pick the car up dead quiet at any speed all good i am thinking but now with a few 1000 miles on them same old shit at the same speed.

This making me think it how the grears are being made . I wanted to try a diff. gear MFG. but the rear end guy at the ford dealer said they would not make noise if he set them up . The only good thing is i got a warranty with them by having ford do it . Now weather or not there going to stand up behind it have to find out .

cobra199711

Established Member
This is the exact same scenario, new gears bought, shop installed- they whined badly. They say must be "bad gears" after their second attempt to fix it. They however offered to do the labor the third time if I bought a new set. Eventually didn't want to do that because I had no confidence the gears would be right.

Dan12GT

Established Member
Does not sound like a good situation. I think your best bet is to have a different experienced shop take a look at the install for you. Tell them what you suspect (a bad install) and ask them to verify it the best you can. Take pictures, document the measurements / dimensionless. Take that back to the shop and give them an ultimatum. If it were me this is what I would do. I would then demand my money back.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Going through the same thing . The OEM 3:73 got noisey overy time . Would make noise at part throttle form 40 to 60 MPH they go quiet from 60 to 70 MPH make noise at 75MPH then dead quiet from 80 to 150 MPH .

I had ford put in a new set of 3:73 in the car. Pick the car up dead quiet at any speed all good i am thinking but now with a few 1000 miles on them same old shit at the same speed.

This making me think it how the grears are being made . I wanted to try a diff. gear MFG. but the rear end guy at the ford dealer said they would not make noise if he set them up . The only good thing is i got a warranty with them by having ford do it . Now weather or not there going to stand up behind it have to find out .

If your gears were OEM from the factory it should all be done under warrenty

300AGT

Established Member
me32
You be right but for one thing . The OEM gear were making noise i check the back lash and it was at .015 the max tolerance for the ring & pinion gears. I wanted to get my torsen T-2R differential in my car . So I took a chance I put the torsen in set the the back lash to .010 clearance but the gears still made noise. Now the smart thing to do would have been to take the car to ford with the stock differential in it and had them put a new set of ring & pinion gears in the car, but i didn't do the smart thing.:nonono: Even though i know the gears were making noise before and changing the differential had nothing to do with the gears making noise, but because i did change the differential I pay for the new set of ring & pinion gears to be put in my car by ford. The only good thing about this I now got the warranty for the ring & pinion gears set with using my torsen differential.

Funny5.0

Established Member
Quick update,
I took the car back to the shop and they opened it up and made some adjustments.
The noise has gone from a 7 to a 3 and still on decel most pronounced between 70-80 in 6th. At lower speeds you really have to listen for it.
The noise is now at a tolerable level to me and no where near as bad as before.
They still said it was the gears and would install a new set at much lower labor costs if I wanted. I have decided this is fine.
The 3.73's go great with the FRPP tune. The car finally feels like it has some balls to me:burnout:

Fun4me

Established Member
How can they blame it on the gears, if adjusting something made it quieter? Did they give you a written warranty?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
me32
You be right but for one thing . The OEM gear were making noise i check the back lash and it was at .015 the max tolerance for the ring & pinion gears. I wanted to get my torsen T-2R differential in my car . So I took a chance I put the torsen in set the the back lash to .010 clearance but the gears still made noise. Now the smart thing to do would have been to take the car to ford with the stock differential in it and had them put a new set of ring & pinion gears in the car, but i didn't do the smart thing.:nonono: Even though i know the gears were making noise before and changing the differential had nothing to do with the gears making noise, but because i did change the differential I pay for the new set of ring & pinion gears to be put in my car by ford. The only good thing about this I now got the warranty for the ring & pinion gears set with using my torsen differential.

Ahh that explains it then. Well at least this time you'll get it right. Good luck on the new set.

Users who are viewing this thread