3rd Gear Lock-Out

04nccobra

Established Member
Those who have experienced 3rd gear lock-out at high rpm shift points I'd like to ask how Ford handled the issue. Again I'd like Ford to handle it and not have to go trial and error with aftermarket pieces. The car only has 4k on it and I want to keep the warranty.

Last Friday at the track this was an issue 4 out of 5 passes, last evening 3 runs shifting at 6500-6800 rpms 3rd gear lockout each time.

mrfiveoh

Established Member
Those who have experienced 3rd gear lock-out at high rpm shift points I'd like to ask how Ford handled the issue. Again I'd like Ford to handle it and not have to go trial and error with aftermarket pieces. The car only has 4k on it and I want to keep the warranty.

Last Friday at the track this was an issue 4 out of 5 passes, last evening 3 runs shifting at 6500-6800 rpms 3rd gear lockout each time.

From my experience with that. It ended up being user error on my part. As i moved from a foxbody with a t5 to the mt82. going to third is a lil diff. So, after some coaching from a buddy i learned to just throw it forward almost as if im going into 1st, and have never had a problem with 3rd again. now, 5th is a diff story. Maybe this helps!

Nick Nasty

Established Member
From my experience with that. It ended up being user error on my part. As i moved from a foxbody with a t5 to the mt82. going to third is a lil diff. So, after some coaching from a buddy i learned to just throw it forward almost as if im going into 1st, and have never had a problem with 3rd again. now, 5th is a diff story. Maybe this helps!

this is what i did and it worked for a while, but i get 3rd lockout everytime i got to the track. works perfectly fine for the most part on the street though, so that tells me it has to be user error for me at least.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
On the mt82 you cant jam it into 3rd, just softly push it up with your palm and it will go in everytime.

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
On the mt82 you cant jam it into 3rd, just softly push it up with your palm and it will go in everytime.

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

^ this. Just palm it forward quickly but gently. Dont force it or you will get locked out nearly every time. DOnt grip the shifter either, just open palm it. Let it guide itself.

04nccobra

Established Member
Well I never thought about palming it, I'll give it a try this evening- Thank you,

mhyjek

Established Member
Well I never thought about palming it, I'll give it a try this evening- Thank you,
Or barton two post bracket and you can hamfist it.... But seriously look at the stock marshmallow mount and you will see why you can't shift it like you should be able too. I know you don't want aftermarket but ford actually sells there stuff rebranded as FRRP.

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
Or barton two post bracket and you can hamfist it.... But seriously look at the stock marshmallow mount and you will see why you can't shift it like preciselyd be able too. I know you don't want aftermarket but ford actually sells there stuff rebranded as FRRP.

I had this happen several times until I started paying attention to my form and eye-hand-foot coordination. A sloppy form wont work in this car. The mt82 has to be shifted precisely. Let third find itself for you. Straight out of second, let the centering spring do its job and straight up into third. Works like a charm. On a side note, fwiw, the stock shifter mount is poo.

Laloosh

Established Member
With the stock shifter I palmed it in. In any other car it would be boarderline going into 1st instead of 3rd. Once I got the MGW shifter, well you can abuse it like a red headed step child at walmart. See video lol
2-3 mgw shift - YouTube

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Yes mt 82 responds to finesse over force, of course a good aftermarket shifter, tranny oil change, and aftermarket motor mounts will solve the issue!

Users who are viewing this thread