427 Cobra Jet kill

TacticalKaos

Established Member
Well, I was cruising down a local two-way highway (Rt. 40) and immediately noticed an old school 427 Cobra Jet (blue with white trips) that was absolutely immaculate. I made a U turn to get a better look at it and we cruised for about a mile. I know it had to have been a kit car but none the less this thing sounded pretty nasty. It was def. cammed because that was all I could hear when we pulled up to the 272 Sunoco. I looked over at him and he smiled so when the opposite lighted turned yellow I revved up to launch RPM. When we took off I got a pretty huge lead on him then back off to let him come back along side me. When we passed the Red Toad Road intersection he gunned it again at which time I dropped into third and slowly reeled him back in. For an "old" car it pulled nice on the top end. We both shut down this time at about 110. I was sure I would bet him when we raced but it was nice to run a car that you idolize as a kid. He was nice about it though, both of us smiled, shoot out a thumbs up and went or seperate ways. That was about it.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Good kill. If it was a truely a 427 CJ they make some serious power and in a light car makes me think it was probably a 302 in it. That motor isn't cheap and common. They do sell 302/351 kits but nothing performance wise. Just OEM stuff. I don't think you would've of run down a big block. What's your STI run 12.8s? -Mark

Last edited:

03svtsnakevert

COPASNICKA
Established Member
:bs:

hate to do this, but I am going to have to throw up the BS flag...first off, Ford built a 427 but it was not titled a "Cobra Jet" and if this was an A/C Cobra kit car with a 427 ci in it and built, even just cammed, it was definitely pushing over 500 hp and weighs about half as much as your STi....now, unless your modded to satan's palace on your car the race would not have been close...(in the cobra's favor)

It was most likely a small block car if it was one at all...A stock 427 side oiler was rated (for insurance purposes) at 425 hp, but realistically they made right at 500 hp stock...they would run the 1320 in 11 sec e.t.s and top end was almost unlimited...either way nice story, but possibly an unrealistic outcome...(flame suit has been put on)

JAYMONEY

Established Member
03svtsnakevert said:
:bs:

hate to do this, but I am going to have to throw up the BS flag...first off, Ford built a 427 but it was not titled a "Cobra Jet" and if this was an A/C Cobra kit car with a 427 ci in it and built, even just cammed, it was definitely pushing over 500 hp and weighs about half as much as your STi....now, unless your modded to satan's palace on your car the race would not have been close...(in the cobra's favor)

It was most likely a small block car if it was one at all...A stock 427 side oiler was rated (for insurance purposes) at 425 hp, but realistically they made right at 500 hp stock...they would run the 1320 in 11 sec e.t.s and top end was almost unlimited...either way nice story, but possibly an unrealistic outcome...(flame suit has been put on)
I agree. '66 427 side-oiler Cobras were capable of 11 sec 1/4 times. Most magazines had these cars running mid 12's, but were very capable of 11's. The '66 427 Cobra went 0-100 and back to 0 mph in less than 13 sec's. I'm not doubting you beat that replica, but I doubt it had a 427 side-oiler in it. Those kit cars may have 427 emblems, but that doesn't mean it had a 427 under the hood. Besides, 427 side-oilers are rare engines, therefore, I highly doubt it was a 427. Anyway, nice kill. :)

spyder1337

It's LEGIT
Established Member
Wild we talk about this. Today there was one behind my house in the airport. It had a 540 in it. I got to ride in it and damn was it fast. Those cars are badass. This guy said he had the car built in cali. It felt like my cobra but only like open in the feeling of a sport bike. I ear is still slightly def from the ride haha.

TEABG

Banned
JAYMONEY said:
I agree. '66 427 side-oiler Cobras were capable of 11 sec 1/4 times. Most magazines had these cars running mid 12's, but were very capable of 11's. The '66 427 Cobra went 0-100 and back to 0 mph in less than 13 sec's. I'm not doubting you beat that replica, but I doubt it had a 427 side-oiler in it. Those kit cars may have 427 emblems, but that doesn't mean it had a 427 under the hood. Besides, 427 side-oilers are rare engines, therefore, I highly doubt it was a 427. Anyway, nice kill. :)

Most magazines's posted low times because these cars are designed to run on leaded 100 octane. When you run 92 unleaded octane you cross from a 11-sec car to a 12 sec car.

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
The 427 Cobra Jet engine was in the Mustangs right? I remember seeing Mach 1s with the 427 Cobra Jet engines, those were bad ass. That was the impression I took away from the story, that the poster raced a clone Mach 1 CJ. However most of you guys seem to think he raced a Shelby Cobra, which could be right also. If it was the Cobra, it definately was a replica and more likely than not had a 5.0 in it whil sporting 427 badges like they almost always do. TacticalKaos, please clarify.

AkronCobra

Established Member
Juice33 said:
The 427 Cobra Jet engine was in the Mustangs right? I remember seeing Mach 1s with the 427 Cobra Jet engines, those were bad ass. That was the impression I took away from the story, that the poster raced a clone Mach 1 CJ. However most of you guys seem to think he raced a Shelby Cobra, which could be right also. If it was the Cobra, it definately was a replica and more likely than not had a 5.0 in it whil sporting 427 badges like they almost always do. TacticalKaos, please clarify.
I think you mean 428 cobra jet.

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
Doesn't matter I was off by one whole cube. His story is still confusing.

TacticalKaos

Established Member
Alright well maybe it wasn't a real "Cobra Jet" but it def. had the decals. I've posted my dyno sheets and mod list on this site before. Over 400 at the wheels on pump gas.

03svtsnakevert

COPASNICKA
Established Member
TacticalKaos said:
Alright well maybe it wasn't a real "Cobra Jet" but it def. had the decals. I've posted my dyno sheets and mod list on this site before. Over 400 at the wheels on pump gas.

Nice numbers, but definitely not anywhere near enough to take out a built 427 side oiler cobra...Probably would have waxed one with a 5.0 combo in it...

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
AkronCobra said:
I think you mean 428 cobra jet.
Thank you god. I was losing hope that there was anyone on here that knew anything about old engines.

Users who are viewing this thread