427 Cobra Jet kill

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Yes tehy do make 427 crate motors. And although they would be the best motor for these kit cars, most owners put in a 5.0 HO motor. They are light enough that the small blocks with minor mods will make these cars scream. 9/10 of the kit cars have the emblems. It's just a matter of if they have been installed. I would still be proud of the win as the small block kits are quick too. even with a stock drivetrain.

As for the 427 being one cubic inch off, if you knew the differences between the 427 Side oiler, 428 CJ, 428 SCj, and the 428 PI, you wouldn't say only one cubic inch.

TacticalKaos

Established Member
Like I said, maybe it didn't have the 427 or the 428 but I know I beat him regardless. I don't think it would be hard for a 400+ AWHP STi to pull on one anyway but I could be wrong. What are their typical quarter times?

JAYMONEY

Established Member
ponygt65 said:
As for the 427 being one cubic inch off, if you knew the differences between the 427 Side oiler, 428 CJ, 428 SCj, and the 428 PI, you wouldn't say only one cubic inch.
+1 :thumbsup:

old guys rule

Red Blown Sled
Established Member
TacticalKaos said:
Like I said, maybe it didn't have the 427 or the 428 but I know I beat him regardless. I don't think it would be hard for a 400+ AWHP STi to pull on one anyway but I could be wrong. What are their typical quarter times?

Typically mid 11's in stock trim...you would not have a dog's chance in hell...no offense meant, but it is just a little out of your league...

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
ponygt65 said:
Funny. I have that motor sitting in my driveway.
in the pony, yeah. I dunno, personally, it seems like a very well balanced car, just from what i've been told. It's not brutally kill yourself fast, but it'll hustle. just from what I've been told

Seancass

HELLACIOUS
Established Member
so wait, you guys lost me at 427 cobra jet. did this guy race a mustang or a cobra. when talking old cars, there is a huge difference. i do know the difference, i just want to hear the guy say which he raced. it doesnt really matter if its an origional cobra or a home made anyway. either can be wicked fast.

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
Seancass said:
so wait, you guys lost me at 427 cobra jet. did this guy race a mustang or a cobra. when talking old cars, there is a huge difference. i do know the difference, i just want to hear the guy say which he raced. it doesnt really matter if its an origional cobra or a home made anyway. either can be wicked fast.
I think his car may be mythical....
no I dunno I'm just starting shit :p

blown88gt

Established Member
The 427 and 428 are 2 totally different engines. I had a 429 with CJ heads was a nice engine.

As for it being a true 427 AC Cobra 0 to 100 to 0 in less than 14 seconds. Still til this day the fastest production american made car. It did this on drum brakes to.

fullofvenom

Established Member
i can't believe what I've read above..........on a ford site no less. anyone who claims to love fords and doesn't know the difference between a 427 and a 428 doesn't really love Fords. the "cobra jet" mularky on the 428 and 429 was just a marketing scam, those engines had nothing in common with the hi riser, side oiler 427.

i'm not calling BS on your story, but i am on the facts. no way an STi hangs with any Cobra running a 427, no way...period. 2600 lbs (with the original aluminum body) and over 500 HP is too fast for any scooby (no offense, most other cars would get creamed too).

probably a kit car running the 5L running gear, as was said earlier. still a nice kill for a four banger.

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
:bs:

my dad used to have an original 69 mach 1 428 SCj....that thing was fast as freakin hell. I have a friend who has an original Shelby GT 500 with the 428 and he would smoke me!!! If this car really had that engine in it then he was spinning the hell out of his tires.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Vancouver83LTD said:
in the pony, yeah. I dunno, personally, it seems like a very well balanced car, just from what i've been told. It's not brutally kill yourself fast, but it'll hustle. just from what I've been told

The kicker about hese motors it it didnt' take much to make some serious HP. The racing version put out 400+. That is why Shelby loved them in his cars so much. They were in the first production Cobra's and the GT-40s. The other kicker is they wind up to 8K rpm and can hold it there with no problem at all. They truely were top notch racing motors.

As for the production version: 271HP/316TQ. I ran a 14.9 best, avg. 15.0 (not bad consistency if you ask me). The only thing that were not factory stock were, the Firehawks (at about 25PSI), 600CFM Holley, Pertronix Ignition and octane booster (woohoo). That was my only time out and I had no traction in first gear. Feathering the stock clutch is a pain in the rear. She could easily be a mid 14 if I could get her to grab right. Oh, and she has 3.50 posi gears.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
04SilverBullet said:
:bs:

my dad used to have an original 69 mach 1 428 SCj....that thing was fast as freakin hell. I have a friend who has an original Shelby GT 500 with the 428 and he would smoke me!!! If this car really had that engine in it then he was spinning the hell out of his tires.

You mean smoke you in the '92 right. The GT500 with the 428PI nor the GT500KR with the 428CJ would not be fast enough in stock trim to beat your lightning.

Users who are viewing this thread