427 Cobra Jet kill

bumblebeetuna

Trade: Girlfriend for KB?
Established Member
66 ERA Replica Cobra #642 and another model #721. If you want to talk cobras, lets talk cobras.

Most owners dont build their own kit. Most pay the kit maker to do so (lonestar replicas, ERA, Factory five, clissic roadsters, westcoast customs, ect...) Some, like my father and I, build ours. they can take as little as 3 months from finnish to finnish. Ours took over 3 years each. You get what you put into it really.

My father and I did our research. ERA's are the best kit period. We built my dads first while still in highschool. 514crate(with tricks....hehehe), the limited SCJ heads and eagle rods. Custom fuel injection manifold(webber style) at 8 degree slant, 4speed top-loader by david key, Custom IRS 9", 3:31 gears. Dyno shut off at 689hp,656tqr at 3400rpm's with a 6100 redline. 335 kumhos, 2456lbs with 400lb driver/passanger load -never raced but takes care of ANYTHING on the road. Theres nothing like tire smoke at 80mph with just the mash of the gas.

Mine (721) 542 keith craft built custom. single 1250 carb, NOS 100 plate(never used, never needed to), TKO 500 with a few tricks.... 3:55's Custom-narrowed 9" linked solid, 345's.....less than 2300lbs with driver. Havent found a dyno that will hold her...hahaha. Not bad for a weekend car on a sunny day.

Cobra King has stepped to the plate. youve got questions, PM me.

Last edited:

Juice33

Patently Awesome
Established Member
HAHA. You guys need to chill out. I screwed up a couple of engines in my head, so be it. I love old muscle just as much as the next guy and grew up around it. I convinced my dad to pick up a 68 GT 350 in grade 2 conditon for real cheap money this passed summer. I have always been a Mustang guy and I love Shelby's work with Ford. No need for some of you guys to get all high and mighty because you can rattle off engine specs.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
blown88gt said:
The 427 and 428 are 2 totally different engines. I had a 429 with CJ heads was a nice engine.

Big-block vs FE big block. FE's are weird motors, but I love em!!!

Nothing beats the 427 Cammer though. What was it? 625 HP with a single 4bbl, 675 with dual quads? In 1961! You better pack your lunch. But then again, that was a limited production motor for NASCAR, found in the 61 Galaxie. Boy what I'd do to have one of those in my truck!

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
YUL LUZ said:
66 ERA Replica Cobra #642 and another model #721. If you want to talk cobras, lets talk cobras.

Most owners dont build their own kit. Most pay the kit maker to do so (lonestar replicas, ERA, Factory five, clissic roadsters, westcoast customs, ect...) Some, like my father and I, build ours. they can take as little as 3 months from finnish to finnish. Ours took over 3 years each. You get what you put into it really.

My father and I did our research. ERA's are the best kit period. We built my dads first while still in highschool. 514crate(with tricks....hehehe), the limited SCJ heads and eagle rods. Custom fuel injection manifold(webber style) at 8 degree slant, 4speed top-loader by david key, Custom IRS 9", 3:31 gears. Dyno shut off at 689hp,656tqr at 3400rpm's with a 6100 redline. 335 kumhos, 2456lbs with 400lb driver/passanger load -never raced but takes care of ANYTHING on the road. Theres nothing like tire smoke at 80mph with just the mash of the gas.

Mine (721) 542 keith craft built custom. single 1250 carb, NOS 100 plate(never used, never needed to), TKO 500 with a few tricks.... 3:55's Custom-narrowed 9" linked solid, 345's.....less than 2300lbs with driver. Havent found a dyno that will hold her...hahaha. Not bad for a weekend car on a sunny day.

Cobra King has stepped to the plate. youve got questions, PM me.

I have a question.................What racing schoolS did you go to?

Just curious to know since you both can "handle" 690 HP in a 2500lb car.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Juice33 said:
HAHA. You guys need to chill out. I screwed up a couple of engines in my head, so be it. I love old muscle just as much as the next guy and grew up around it. I convinced my dad to pick up a 68 GT 350 in grade 2 conditon for real cheap money this passed summer. I have always been a Mustang guy and I love Shelby's work with Ford. No need for some of you guys to get all high and mighty because you can rattle off engine specs.

Not sure if you are replying to me, but I wasnt' really trying to poke at you.

Seancass

HELLACIOUS
Established Member
so, was the origional guy racing a ford Mustang or a Shelby cobra? we all know the difference and which came with what engine. but what did this subu kill or not kill.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Seancass said:
so, was the origional guy racing a ford Mustang or a Shelby cobra? we all know the difference and which came with what engine. but what did this subu kill or not kill.

a shelby kit car. And we are guessing at the motor that was in it.

WDW MKR

Established Member
If it was a Shelby kit car, is there really much to guess at? I've never seen a 428 or 429 stuck in a Shelby Cobra... we all know he didn't beat a 427... that leaves a 289 or 5.0L conversion. My buddy's uncle has an AC kit car with a basic carburated 302. Nothing blindingly fast, but it's a sweet ride.

TacticalKaos

Established Member
It's cool if you guys don't believe me. I've got nothing to prove. Like I said maybe it wasn't 427/428 but whatever the case may be. I ran a 12.1 on my previous set up with less power. I know I'm in the 11s now.

WDW MKR

Established Member
TacticalKaos said:
It's cool if you guys don't believe me. I've got nothing to prove. Like I said maybe it wasn't 427/428 but whatever the case may be. I ran a 12.1 on my previous set up with less power. I know I'm in the 11s now.

You ran 12.1 at what MPH? Your AWD-aided ET doesn't do much when going from a roll. The MPH produced by a 427 AC Cobra (no need to continue referencing the 428 or 429 if you didn't race Mustang) would walk away from you on a roll. It's still a great kill! People are just trying to explain that you did not race a 427 AC Cobra. If you raced a 428 or 429 Mustang, then it would be a different story.

TacticalKaos

Established Member
WDW MKR said:
You ran 12.1 at what MPH? Your AWD-aided ET doesn't do much when going from a roll. The MPH produced by a 427 AC Cobra (no need to continue referencing the 428 or 429 if you didn't race Mustang) would walk away from you on a roll. It's still a great kill! People are just trying to explain that you did not race a 427 AC Cobra. If you raced a 428 or 429 Mustang, then it would be a different story.

Yeah, there's really no way of telling, especially with kit cars. It's hard enough racing other cars imagining what they've got done let alone kit cars. I wished I'd have gotten the chance to ask.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
WDW MKR said:
If it was a Shelby kit car, is there really much to guess at? I've never seen a 428 or 429 stuck in a Shelby Cobra... we all know he didn't beat a 427... that leaves a 289 or 5.0L conversion. My buddy's uncle has an AC kit car with a basic carburated 302. Nothing blindingly fast, but it's a sweet ride.
Did you ever consider it may be not that fast because it's basic? It doesn't take much to make 289/302s strong. That combined with a next to nothing weight (for a car), it can be deadly. It all depends on what your buddy's uncle has done to the 302. Not to mention what year the 302 is.

WDW MKR

Established Member
ponygt65 said:
Did you ever consider it may be not that fast because it's basic? It doesn't take much to make 289/302s strong. That combined with a next to nothing weight (for a car), it can be deadly. It all depends on what your buddy's uncle has done to the 302. Not to mention what year the 302 is.

Where did I state than any 289/302 AC Cobra on the planet is slow? Oh, that's right... I didn't! ;-) Anything that light can be deadly with just a little extra power. That's why those cars are so cool.

blown88gt

Established Member
My boss has redone a 69 Mach 1 and he goes to shows all the time. there is a guy who goes to a bunch of shows with him. Guy has a cobra kit car with a 351 stroked to a 427. I don't know about running I seen him pull off a few times. car seems to be wicked fast and sounds killer. That is the biggest I have seen in a kit car though. Most around here have 302 or 351, one guy even did the unmentionable and put a 383 in one. I don't converse with him when i see him.

bumblebeetuna

Trade: Girlfriend for KB?
Established Member
PonyGT65, I have driven/built/raced my fair share of fast cars....my dad has shown me a few things about fast driving, so did Bob Bondourant.

"Most" people who build or have their cars built usually have never felt that much power in such a light car before. So, "most" like to stick with a crate engine that has a warranty and doesnt offer a potential danger to something that has 500hp. "most" opt for a 289,302,351,428,429...most being the small blocks. and if some are big blocks, they are usually very mild motors, not radical. There are many that like to get built motors, big blocks with lots of HP or be stroked and blown (no pun intended...hehheh)

Many around where Im from (5 or less) have small blocks. I have only seen the 514ci in a few and only 1 with a 522ci, other than ours-all have been over the internet. these kind are a handful, being loud, powerful, dangerous, and quite often uncontolable to the fait of heart.

It really doesnt take much to control these cars when they have less than 400 hp. (depending on how they are set up-if done right, they are just scary and fun...if done wrong by shaving corners and cutting cost of the build, they can just be scary) When the power-to-weight shifts in favor of more ponies and less weight, thats when these things come alive and really show what they are capable of and inturn need a very good driver that knows their limitations (the car doesnt have any...hahaha)

The Cammer 427 motors are bad, real bad. I know a man personally that has one and its awesome but not at a 20K price tag for the motor alone. My dads has better looks, performance, ect. The cammer is just like saying my civic has twin turbos-damn that cool but you can get more performance out of a KB cobra-get whta im saying?

A common miss conception by most is looking at it blaintly. 2500+-lbs, all this power, and a bad ass car. yes its all those things but its different when driving one of these like a KB cobra or such. COMPLETELY different. Its nothing like I have ever experieced. You cant powershift a car like that-UNDER NO MEANS!!!, its going to spin in any gear regardless of speed and tire size (believe me), loud, unconfortbale, wind-in-the-face, and speechlessness are what these kind of cars are.

Cobras, to this day, have the highest death/fatality rate of any other production car ever made.(thought that was a cool fact)

To truely understand what the difference in a car like these kit cobras and modern-day cars is that you have to experience it first hand. Its a whole nother feeling of fast. Ive seen kit car cobras with crate 302's turn the low 12's with major traction issues. Built and blown 347 strokers cobra street cars out run vipers, vettes, and porshces at road-race events. The same car run a 10.03 the next day on drag radials. (the event is called Run-and-Gun, held each year. Very cool to go watch where ever it is held-dont know about this next year though)

Bottom Line- These Kit cars are far better the original design. They are/where bred for one thing-to win at whatever they do.(if built accordingly). ERA's have the most complex suspension,frame, and dedication that can be found on any reproduction replica avaliable. (first hand look- ERAreplicas.com)

Alot of owners dont like to race and such and just want something unuasual and exotic to drive around on a pretty day or to take there wife to dinner in-that is where you find small motors, medeocre paint jobs, doner car parts, ect...

sawman70

Something Witty!
Established Member
TacticalKaos said:
Sorry for starting a shit storm. Now I know why I didn't post kills before.

I was annoyed right off the bat by the "427 Cobra Jet" comment.

Makes sense you driving an import and all. A 427 Cobra was the fastest car 0-100-0 for about 35 years untill a Porche Turbo beat it by a tenth. You did not beat one. 0-100-0 in about 11 seconds. Again, you did not beat one.

427 in multiple horsepowers
428 CJ
428 SCJ
Boss 429

TacticalKaos

Established Member
sawman70 said:
I was annoyed right off the bat by the "427 Cobra Jet" comment.

Makes sense you driving an import and all. A 427 Cobra was the fastest car 0-100-0 for about 35 years untill a Porche Turbo beat it by a tenth. You did not beat one. 0-100-0 in about 11 seconds. Again, you did not beat one.

427 in multiple horsepowers
428 CJ
428 SCJ
Boss 429

HAHA What an ignorant comment and TIA for the flame. Because I drive an import.....???? WTF yeah nice. If it's that big of deal I'll change the thread title. I like how you associated ones choice of vehicle origin with intelligence. That being the case your theory is indicative of your comments, domestic..........at best.

sawman70

Something Witty!
Established Member
TacticalKaos said:
HAHA What an ignorant comment and TIA for the flame. Because I drive an import.....???? WTF yeah nice. If it's that big of deal I'll change the thread title. I like how you associated ones choice of vehicle origin with intelligence. That being the case your theory is indicative of your comments, domestic..........at best.

Calm yourself down.

Sarcasm my freind, sarcasm.

Users who are viewing this thread