471whp/452wtq

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
sick STI for sure. They can sound so nasty for a 4 banger, i've definitely heard throatier STI exhaust notes than yours but not bad. If one of my requirements for a DD wasn't getting good gas mileage, i would have one as a DD for sure! Came close to getting one but my mustang gets the same mileage those things do

So much truth to this.

Such a great color, very nice ride op!

Teal Terminator

Established Member
I love the idea of these cars (hatchback, AWD, good/great power, relatively light weight, nice suspension, etc) but I just can't get over the looks. And that is very unlike me b/c typically I love hatchbacks and wagons. I just don't find these cars aesthetically pleasing. With that said, I bet that bitch HAULS!

bmorecobra

Off stacks
Established Member
Lol really?

Anyways. OP awesome car! You'd never really expect it rolling up to it. Flames at the end of the run were sweet too!

Did I hear it breaking up a little during the e85 run or was that just me?

It's not that other cars don't make similar hp/tq #s it's the fact that most 4 cylinder cars don't make similar hp/tq numbers. That is what is so impressive, hell you can almost always subtract 100 from a Hondas hp # and that's their tq.

Nice build op, that's a lot for a subie. I'm sure it's a wicked car to mess with on the street!

07vert

Established Member
Thanks for all the kind words guys! Gas mileage definitely sucks, especially on e85. Not a car i'd drive for a few hours. This is my weekend play toy, I have a daily that I drive to work everyday so I don't really have to worry about that.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice car and really nice numbers. Who did the tune? I see you're in CT.

07vert

Established Member
Nice car and really nice numbers. Who did the tune? I see you're in CT.

Car was tuned at EFI Logics in Bethel, CT. Friend of mine is their resident tuner, Mike Botti, he's also a big GTR Tuner as well.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
butttttt my guess is, you wouldn't have guessed it was a Subaru!

Dyno Pull - 26 psi on e85, semi conservative map for longevity - 471whp/452wtq on a heartbreaker mustang dyno
[youtube_browser]-rELytvW9UI&feature=share&list=UUGvrfrRPxZbvTmveR1GDJSQ[/youtube_browser]

Dyno Pull - 21 psi on 93, EXTREMELY conservative, basically just to limp me to an e85 source - 380whp/335wtq
[youtube_browser]PmiVAkkW9SI&feature=share&list=UUGvrfrRPxZbvTmveR1GDJSQ[/youtube_browser]

sti-3.jpg

sti-2.jpg

sti-4.jpg

Mod list, and more pictures can be seen here on my dailydriven.us feature.
Daily Driven » Max’s 2009 STi

Comparison between my 07 GT500 and this are second to none. While the shelby had instant torque, this thing really screams, most likely due to its power to weight ratio. 471whp/452wtq on a car that weighs 3350 lbs.

Mods? stock turbo?

07vert

Established Member
Mods? stock turbo?

Stock turbo uses maxes out around 300whp on 93, maybe a little more, and usually 330 on E85.

If you click the link on the bottom, it has my story. But i'll be short.
-built bottom end - custom JE pistons, custom rods, balanced/blueprinted to 8500rpm
-stock heads/valvetrain
-FP RED (stock location 35r)
-DW1300cc injectors
-TGV deletes (tumbler valves)
-Perrin equal length header
-full fuel system - lines, in tank walbro 465, aeromotive rails/regulator
-Grimmspeed up pipe with tial 44mm EWG
-hybrid boost control (utilizes ebcs and MBC)
-ACT 6 puck HDG6 clutch with stock weight flywheel
-FMS FMIC
-Perrin 3" Turbo Inlet
-KS Tech 83mm Intake
-Tial Q 50mm 100% VTA BOV
-Catless turboback
-Speed Density Conversion

...I think that's everything that matters, power wise.
This winter, I think i'll do a 280+ cam and a Precision 6262 or a 6266

Last edited:

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
How many places in CT have E85? I didn't think it was very common at all actually...

07vert

Established Member
How many places in CT have E85? I didn't think it was very common at all actually...

its not :shrug: there's one station in Waterford, CT. I get mine from Bedford Hills, NY, about 20 miles from my house. Worth the drive and hassle for the extra 100whp, in my opinion.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
Stock turbo uses maxes out around 300whp on 93, maybe a little more, and usually 330 on E85.

If you click the link on the bottom, it has my story. But i'll be short.
-built bottom end - custom JE pistons, custom rods, balanced/blueprinted to 8500rpm
-stock heads/valvetrain
-FP RED (stock location 35r)
-DW1300cc injectors
-TGV deletes (tumbler valves)
-Perrin equal length header
-full fuel system - lines, in tank walbro 465, aeromotive rails/regulator
-Grimmspeed up pipe with tial 44mm EWG
-hybrid boost control (utilizes ebcs and MBC)
-ACT 6 puck HDG6 clutch with stock weight flywheel
-FMS FMIC
-Perrin 3" Turbo Inlet
-KS Tech 83mm Intake
-Tial Q 50mm 100% VTA BOV
-Catless turboback
-Speed Density Conversion

...I think that's everything that matters, power wise.
This winter, I think i'll do a 280+ cam and a Precision 6262 or a 6266

Awesome setup and numbers :rockon:

Have you gotten it out to the track yet?

07vert

Established Member
Awesome setup and numbers :rockon:

Have you gotten it out to the track yet?

Thanks! I have not, we just finished up the final tune last Friday. Soon enough though. Hoping for a 130 trap, maybe a high-mid 10 pass after some seat time.

07vert

Established Member
Nice setup. However, it's hard to like the sound of equal length headers on a Subaru, but you do it for a reason.

Mine really aren't too far off then the OEM subaru sound. I can tell you low end torque is alot better then the stock header, even with the big turbo. I originally hated the sound of the equal length, but it definitely grew on me. Car sounds downright nasty when I get into boost, and virtually NO raspyness. The noise around 4k is the wastegate opening, which is 10x louder on 26 psi and much more pronounced.

Heres an in-car, this is during my break-in map on only 8 PSI, but at least you get the general flavor of what it sounds like in-car.

http://distilleryvesper9-9.ak.instagram.com/13daa88af7b711e2b08222000ae91411_101.mp4

Last edited:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Mine really aren't too far off then the OEM subaru sound. I can tell you low end torque is alot better then the stock header, even with the big turbo. I originally hated the sound of the equal length, but it definitely grew on me. Car sounds downright nasty when I get into boost, and virtually NO raspyness.

Heres an in-car, this is during my break-in map on only 8 PSI, but at least you get the general flavor of what it sounds like in-car.

http://distilleryvesper9-9.ak.instagram.com/13daa88af7b711e2b08222000ae91411_101.mp4

Get some in car shots of some pulls for us.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
its not :shrug: there's one station in Waterford, CT. I get mine from Bedford Hills, NY, about 20 miles from my house. Worth the drive and hassle for the extra 100whp, in my opinion.

Oh ok lol, thanks for the info!

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Very cool subie. Was so close to getting one back in 09.... Great numbers! Quick question.. what can the stock motor hold powerwise??

07vert

Established Member
Very cool subie. Was so close to getting one back in 09.... Great numbers! Quick question.. what can the stock motor hold powerwise??

Depends on fuel, e85 is a lot more knock-resistant, and therefore will last longer. Knock is what kills these cars, specifically the ringlands, then when the ringlands crack, that pistons compression is shot.

My other setup, on e85, on 24 psi, on an agressive timing map probably did somewhere close to 400whp on the stock block/header. Took the motor out when I built it and the bores were in great condition.

93 would most likely be a lower threshold. A lot of people throw a blouch 2.5xtr turbo, turboback exhaust, injectors and fuel pump and make 340-350 on pump gas all day without problems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread