4th gen coyote??

Status
Not open for further replies.

e85svt

Established Member
Curious to hear about what you guys think is to come in the near future with the next generation coyote. What kind of improvements will it get over the previous generation? The gen 3 has proven to be pretty stellar in many departments so an individual would wonder what it could do with some improvements.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The Gen 3 is pretty amazing.

I'd imagine any Gen 4 improvements will be based on upcoming GT500 tech that we should learn more about next week.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
The head design is awesome, as is the cam profile. They do keep improving the intake manifold technology and it is likely that there may be some room left in the cam area that would optimize new intake design.

I couldn't rule out upping displacement in the Coyote or introducing a new small V8 (4.0L?) EcoBoost in the future.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
The head design is awesome, as is the cam profile. They do keep improving the intake manifold technology and it is likely that there may be some room left in the cam area that would optimize new intake design.

I couldn't rule out upping displacement in the Coyote or introducing a new small V8 (4.0L?) EcoBoost in the future.

I think the bore did slightly increase for 2018, correct? I was hoping we would get a 5.2 with traditional crank.

e85svt

Established Member
A 5.2 cross plane crank would be nice. That along with better heads, more aggressive cam profiles and a revised intake system should make for a pretty impressive engine.

e85svt

Established Member

That's what I was thinking. Either an increase in displacement of they choose to keep it naturally aspirated. Or down size and make an EcoBoost 4.xx liter v8 that could possibly make it's way into the ford pick up line.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
5.2 cross plane is coming in the GT500 is my bet.

Hence my comments above lol.

Gonna be sweet any way you slice it.

Voltwings

Established Member
I'd almost like to see them go the other way with it and give us a 4.5L 9k rpm screamer, but I just like NA horsepower, it's probably not realistic.

08mojo

Established Member
I'd almost like to see them go the other way with it and give us a 4.5L 9k rpm screamer, but I just like NA horsepower, it's probably not realistic.

It's funny to me to reflect on my past cars. For daily drivers and street duty, I really don't give a crap about a high rpm screamer. Give me something with good low-end and mid range torque. I gave up on german sports cars (e46 and e92 m3) in the past because they were high-end screamers with boring street manners. Now, it seems the tables have shifted (at least for mustangs vs m3) and the germans are the ones with low-end torque.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
5.2-5.3L would be my bet if it stays n/a. Current makes what, 455? I could see them punching the Mustang GT numbers up to 480-500 with the additional displacement and more tweaks as mentioned above. You're in that 100hp/L range which is very good.

If they go bewsted, I wouldnt be opposed to a 4.6-4.8L with a good blower setup or snail. Smaller sized keeps fleetwide mpg down (hurry up and shitcan the EPA Trump so we can stop with the bullshit), but boost will let it still gain power over the last, and im sure with boltons/tune you can see that 480 stock turn into 550-580 with a few keystrokes.

Though, to be honest, im in the camp where I think the Mustang GT should always be a naturally aspirated powerplant. If you want boost and grotesque power, GT500, if you want high rpm screamer for track use, GT350. I think ford has their lineup down pat with meeting the needs of every enthusiast at this point. Hell even the 2.3EB with a 10AT is probably a very fun and competent driver.

e85svt

Established Member
5.2-5.3L would be my bet if it stays n/a. Current makes what, 455? I could see them punching the Mustang GT numbers up to 480-500 with the additional displacement and more tweaks as mentioned above. You're in that 100hp/L range which is very good.

If they go bewsted, I wouldnt be opposed to a 4.6-4.8L with a good blower setup or snail. Smaller sized keeps fleetwide mpg down (hurry up and shitcan the EPA Trump so we can stop with the bullshit), but boost will let it still gain power over the last, and im sure with boltons/tune you can see that 480 stock turn into 550-580 with a few keystrokes.

Though, to be honest, im in the camp where I think the Mustang GT should always be a naturally aspirated powerplant. If you want boost and grotesque power, GT500, if you want high rpm screamer for track use, GT350. I think ford has their lineup down pat with meeting the needs of every enthusiast at this point. Hell even the 2.3EB with a 10AT is probably a very fun and competent driver.
I agree with keeping the mustang gt naturally aspirated. Then throwing some form of forced induction on a higher end model such as the shelby gt500. Looking at how the bullitt makes 480 hp at the crank I dont think over 500 hp n/a is to far fetched.

Voltwings

Established Member
I'll respond just because I want to keep this thread going. I'd hope with the refresh in 2020 we're shown some improvements with the introduction of the new body style, but I honestly wonder how much further things can go... Sure, 20 years ago people probably thought 300 horsepower was pushing the limits and that was just as good as it was going to get, but here we are on the verge of 500 and you just have to ask yourself where is it realistically going to stop...

Granted, these things just keep getting heavier and heavier, so I suppose more HP as well is just the natural progression.

e85svt

Established Member
Definitely agree with you on that one for sure. If the platform keeps getting heavier then it would stand to reason that they would increase the horsepower and torque outputs to achieve a reasonable power to weight ratio. As far as the limits of the current platform in naturally aspirated form is a good question. For reference the 5.2 aluminator a 5.2l cross plane crank with 12:1 compression gt350 heads and 14 mm lift, 270 degree duration camshafts, cobrajet intake manifold is rated at around 580 at the crank.however, I dont believe this engine is emissions legal so changes would have to be made there.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
hopefully they start with round cylinders and properly clearanced bearings. I know this is few and far between but Ford currently has an issue.

e85svt

Established Member
A few proposals for the engine specifications:
with the next generation coyote variant there is a few options ford should consider in order to maximize performance.
engine #1
5.2 liter(315-317 cu in) v8. lightweight forged steel crankshaft with 6 bolt main bearing caps. direct and port injection.
sintered steel connecting rods 5.833 inch center to center length. forged aluminum coated pistons. modified gt350/gt500 cylinder heads with higher grade aluminum alloy and higher copper content. sodium filled exhaust valves. titanium valves and valve with beryllium copper valve seats and stainless valves, with valve springs that can be subjected to higher pressures. 38.7 mm intake and 32.3 mm exhaust valves. 14-15mm lift and 270-280 degree duration camshafts. 12.0.1-12.5.1 compression ratio, 9.5-12 inch runner length intake with charge motion control. rev limit 7500-8000 rpm. projected horse power output 475-520 at the crank.
engine #2
4.8(293 cu in) 90 degree v8 (3.600 inch bore X 3.600 inch stroke) ecoboost engine direct and port injection. with similar specification above with the exception of a camshaft and intake combination better suited for boost. antilag system. 10:8:1-11:0:1 compression ratio. rpm 7000-8000 rpm 6psi-11psi projected horse power output= 500-600 hp
engine #3
5.8 liter(351-358 cu in ) 10.000 inch plus deck height. if using similar bore spacing 3.700 inch bore x 4.09-4.165 inch stroke. if block is revised with thicker cylinder wall castings. 3.800 in bore X 3.89-3.900 inch stroke. forged steel crankshaft, sintered steel connecting rods, hypereutectic pistons or forged aluminum. cnc ported heads with squared ports. 12:0:1 compression. 15 mm lift and 270 degree duration camshafts.
projected horsepower output = 520-605 hp.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
hopefully they start with round cylinders and properly clearanced bearings. I know this is few and far between but Ford currently has an issue.
What issue are we talking Bout now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread