4v engine swap locked up

Bullitt4V

I swapped a 4v from a aviator, and I finally got around to starting the car.

I regret to say, after checking everything over, I skipped checking the oil..
Vehicle started without issue, ran for a minute or two.. and I shut it off, as I had a few more items I needed to get together..

I started the vehicle once again a week later, and it ran for 30 seconds and shit itself off.
Engine is locked up in certain spots, there is about a 3/4 turn radius that it rotates freely before locking up in either direction.

I’ve pulled timing cover and all chains and guides are rotating smoothly. Can’t pull the VC’s completely off, but enough to see cams rotating smoothly. I’ve added 5.5 quarts of oil to it to try and free what ever it is holding up the rotation..

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

railroad

Established Member
Take the fan belt off. I saw an alternator lock up, shut an engine down and the starter could not spin it over. Belt off, engine started and ran.
Second, do you have the clutch and flywheel properly mounted.
Some of the Coyote crate engines have flywheel, bell housing interference. The teeth on the flywheel get a good bite on the alum bell housings. It does not take much to clearance the inside of the housing.
If you have not already pull the spark plugs.
I am going to bite my tongue on you not checking the oil,(*&(^^()&@#$.

Bullitt4V

Take the fan belt off. I saw an alternator lock up, shut an engine down and the starter could not spin it over. Belt off, engine started and ran.
Second, do you have the clutch and flywheel properly mounted.
Some of the Coyote crate engines have flywheel, bell housing interference. The teeth on the flywheel get a good bite on the alum bell housings. It does not take much to clearance the inside of the housing.
I am going to bite my tongue on you not checking the oil,(*&(^^()&@#$.

No belts or pulleys, as the timing cover is off.. but I may look into the clutch/flywheel idea..

Bullitt1448

Established Member
You know it ran with no oil in it, so you know unless something has changed it’s not locked up externally. My money is on something internal but by all means go ahead and take the clutch and flywheel off, they are going to have to come off anyway

Last edited:

dan1982

Established Member
how much is a good set of pistons for it? Its gotta come apart anyway. its gotta be junk. basic engine refresh with good pistons might be worth it though.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The real problem I’m having such a hard time with this is .. it’s been down for 2.5-3 years.. finally got it together and ONE mistake and my dumbass is back to pulling an engine

definitely sucks when you've got nobody else to blame.

I started leaving myself notes or other reminders on the steering wheel about oil or left the socket and torque wrench in the seat when i didnt have time to torque the lugs

Bullitt4V

definitely sucks when you've got nobody else to blame.

I started leaving myself notes or other reminders on the steering wheel about oil or left the socket and torque wrench in the seat when i didnt have time to torque the lugs

I typically have no problem with forgetting! In fact, I was positive I had put oil in it and even after finding no oil in the pan, I still thought someone was ****ing with me!

But, I guess ya live and ya learn, or whatever they said in the 90s

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
What a bummer dude. I feel for ya. I hope it turns out it’s a simple refresh of the bearings. I like leaving my dipstick hanging partly out of the dipstick tube letting me know I haven’t put oil in it (this is when I do oil changes).

I’m sure you will never make this mistake again.

Keep us updated.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
We are all guilty of making dumb mistakes. Unfortunately this is a costly one for you but willing to bet you don’t make that one again! We all live and learn

SHIFTYBUSINESS

Established Member
The real problem I’m having such a hard time with this is .. it’s been down for 2.5-3 years.. finally got it together and ONE mistake and my dumbass is back to pulling an engine

I understand it sucks! This is a mistake that even if it would run the bearings would not last and you will still have to pull it and fix it in short time. I had a bearing in my 13 gt go out and the pieces of material ruined the heads, cams, and the block. Better off just doing the rebuild now. Also make a note and put it on the steering wheel so you will see it before you try to start it.

Users who are viewing this thread