5.0 article Mach WON?????????????

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Did you read this??????

Mach vs the cobra. I like the mach its a cool car but WTF they say if they use the vortec the Mach WON
mach 03 Cobra
325.8tq 305.9tq
360.2hp 316.9hp

Excuse me did I read it wrong???? Im a stock car down to the aircleaner element & stock exhaust. and mine pulled at 90degree+ day
385.4rwhp
373.5rwtq

They say it would take a modifyied cobra to beat a Vortech mach?

Article says it can kick a cobra squar in the teeth

Also edit:
said the stock Cobra runs a 13.06 at 110

I can see everyone saying how I wasted my money on a cobra. can these people drive the cars for a test?

I know this is borderline to be moved but I thought the terminator forum would be best to post this strange article of the 03 cobra

Last edited:

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
I believe that when the '03 came out, the mags gave it props and hyped it up, and it was the performance car to have. Still is in my opinion, but here's what I think happened. The mags can't keep saying the Cobra is the car to have. They're an instrumental part in selling cars. They gotta sell the "new" thing on the block. Hence the Evo and Sti wack comparos against the Cobra. They also have to hype up and sell the new performance parts. Car mags and car companies are like hitmen and the mafia. They're on the "payroll".

That's my guess and I could go on, but WE know the truth. That's okay anyway, I like being underestimated. Let the Evo, STi, and others believe the #'s. More kills for us and my favorite part.....the look on their face when they catch up and pull beside you after you smoke 'em. :uh oh:

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
how much boost is this vortech running? I would believe that a mach1 with a vortech could beat a cobra, as their solid rear lets them leave the hole quicker, and with a supercharger they could make about the same hp. I just don't see the mach's being able to handle the high amounts of boost like an 03 cobra.

Also, keep in mind, an 03 with intake/catback is a huge step up. It's almost as if ford made the cobras less powerful on purpose. This is a restriction I don't think the Mach's have.

Poisoned Pony

The Mach that Rocks
Established Member
Originally posted by 03gobluecobra
how much boost is this vortech running? I would believe that a mach1 with a vortech could beat a cobra, as their solid rear lets them leave the hole quicker, and with a supercharger they could make about the same hp. I just don't see the mach's being able to handle the high amounts of boost like an 03 cobra.

Also, keep in mind, an 03 with intake/catback is a huge step up. It's almost as if ford made the cobras less powerful on purpose. This is a restriction I don't think the Mach's have.

Mach owners are seeing good gains for an N/A car with catback's, mid-pipes or headers

aluminum block shuminum block, I ran 150 shots of nitrous in my Cobra til the day I sold it :rockon: (122k on the clock)

UNDR PSI

Established Member
Those are by far the lowest numbers I've ever seen for an 03. At first I thought they labeled them backwards?!

Torch Red 10th

Established Member
BTW, in my previous post I wasn't saying the modded Mach 1 couldn't beat a Cobra. I was just speaking on the trend of car magazines comparing "lesser" cars to the Cobra and quoting very low/below average #'s for the Cobra and slightly inflated #'s for the other car it goes up against. In my opinion, with the Mach's solid rear and a good driver, it could probably beat a stock Cobra in the 1/4 unless the Cobra driver was experienced at launching from a stop on the IRS.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
How much are Mach1's gaining with exhaust changes? From doing a full exhaust on my 01 cobra, I think it was only worth about 25-30rwhp, which is what just a catback is almost worth on the 03 cobra. And the 03 intakes give about another 20rwhp. I think the mach1 is extremely similar to the 01 cobra, which only gained about 5-10hp with a CAI.

I'm just saying, an 03 cobra with eaton/catback/CAI, would be a lot closer to the mach1 because it probably has those two things done do it if it already has a vortech. But I still wouldn't doubt it if the mach won, as they are awesome cars too.

freakshow12

Established Member
I dunno guys, some of you dont give the older 4v cars and the mach credit, my 97 pulled 468/433 with a vortech and its basically the same setup as a mach! I would love to have your tq numbers but my mystichrome when I finally get to use it should suffice. just my 2 cents.

ib6-ub9

Established Member
Wait first off, does the mach have exhaust with that vortech, i mean come on the cobras are corked from the factory, not to mention whats the difference in compression ratios, for the same amount of boost they mach may proudce better numbers but thats why they cant hold as much boost, same reason an ls1 with a blolt on blower at 8 pounds of boost will kill a stock 03 cobra, higher compression and most likey exhaust, correct me if im wrong?:smmon:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I think torch red hit the nail on the head. They are just using it as a selling point. In 96-98 I read MULTIPLE articles in 5.0 and MM&FF about how you can supercharger a 96-98 cobra and get 450rwhp just like a VIPER. . .ect. . .ect. . .ect. . .

I think the 03/04 cobra has became a benchmark for a lot of other cars. Thats all it is. Just being able to say. ."I am as fast as an 03 cobra"

UNDER PSI - I agree with you man. You know whats funny, when the 03 first came out and MM&FF was doing an article on the 03 cobra vs the 02 camaro SS their 03 cobra put down 380rwhp and then 394 with just a filter change! Those were extremely high numbers, definately above average, but still very possible.

But now that they are testing other mustangs against the 03 cobra, all of the sudden the 03 cobra's are dynoing 340-360rwhp:rollseyes Same thing happend when they were testing the KB on the 02 mustang GT. The 03 cobra dyno numbers they were using as a comparison were lower than average if I remember correctly.

Its not surprising anymore. Ever since I have been reading these forums and finding out what each mod really does, I am finding out how inaccurate all of these 03 cobra articles really are.

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
well if you read what i said close you see I said they say you have to modify a Cobra to compete with the vortec Mach (modified). So those of you mentioned this I hope you understand now but the big point I was try to make was not that you cant modify a Mach to be faster than a stock 03 cobra we all know thats true.

But the #'s they use that the stock cobra was producing, man reread my post of the #'s I also thought they posted it backwards

316hp guys stock cobra 316hp????

How do you think Colleti feel about those #'s a 1999 dog all over again

I thought is that vortec playing with #'s I always thought they were a great company but that kinda of advertising about a cobra loses my thoughts of there stuff for my older mustangs.

Or is it that SVT loaner car has been beat to sh-t for so many loans to mag it could be true??? 316 after beat to sh-t for all the magazine test?? Just asking

Last edited:

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD

I think the 03/04 cobra has became a benchmark for a lot of other cars. Thats all it is. Just being able to say. ."I am as fast as an 03 cobra"

EXACTLY....consider it a complement.
Just like the "fastest gun in town" ...everyone wants to beat us to claim the title.
By coming after us they are really validating us.

PRETENDERS:bowdown: cobra

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Originally posted by loose nut
EXACTLY....consider it a complement.
Just like the "fastest gun in town" ...everyone wants to beat us to claim the title.
By coming after us they are really validating us.

PRETENDERS:bowdown: cobra

Yes very true! About comparing but at least use good #'s You dont say the car is slower than it is

Maybe I should modify my Chevette and race it then have my grandma drive my cobra and compare times (BTW) she doesnt drive a stick

Ford even advertised the cobra as a mid 12 car

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra10thaniv

Yes very true! About comparing but at least use good #'s You dont say the car is slower than it is

but if they used true numbers ...the story wouldn't have worked.:beer:

CraZeeSTanG

Established Member
A 4v is a 4v, Forged or not forged itll make the power.

I made 514rwhp 446rwtq on 9 psi with a procharger d1sc. Stock block. Yes it probably wasnt going to last forever but it does make the power. I could make that power using forged internals no? Probably make more.

All the 03 is a 4v like a 99 01 or mach 1. Just with better internals to handle boost.

If you built a 01 cobra block with forged internals and IF kenne bell had a blower for the 01 like the 03 kenne bell size. IM sure ITLL make the same power.

Alot of 03 cobra owners dont know this i think
:??:

-Zee :beer:

CraZeeSTanG

Established Member
BTW,

If a 01 cobra or mach1 had 450rwhp and a 03 cobra had 450rwhp who do you think would win?

Thats right the earlier cars, they are lighter:thumbsup:

Im not taking anything away from 03+ cars. THEY are freaking amazing. Factory built block with blower. Ford made it soo much easeir for US. Its all there;-) :rockon:

-Zee

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by 03gobluecobra

A Vortech modded Mach 1 would also be lighter than the Cobra. I can see this modded Mach 1 beating a stock Cobra very easily.

Matt M PA

Established Member
The shop that I use for inspections, etc, are friends, and they recently did a Mach 1 Vortech install.

The Mach wound up with 4:10s, full exhaust, headers, and of course, the Vortech. Since this was the first Mach to be done, they wound up being the test bed. I know that it was on a dyno many, many times until driveability got to where the car would act like nothing was changed.

In the end, it was featured in MMFF, below is a link. I amsure the owner put a small fortune into this car, But he wound up with a screamin' machine. He wanted something different..and he got it.

Both the owner, Wayne, and the builder, Lou are great guys...and Lou is a great tech too. The car ran 12.30s with street rubber and 11.90 with drag radials. I don;t exactly remember the final HP number, but it was somewhere in the 450s at the wheels.

My only concern would be that if the car was hammered on the regular basis...how long with the bottom stay together?

One more thing...the owner drives the car everyday.

Here's the link.
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/0311mm_mach/

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
One thing I forgot to add. Which of the two would I rather have on a day to day basis? The Cobra baby! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread