5.0 article Mach WON?????????????

Mach1Marauder

Banned
Originally posted by SublimeRT
The Mach 1 has been a legend for more than 30 years; definately more legendary than a Cobra. That can't be said about the Cobra. The Mustang Cobra. I think the '03 Cobra guys need to give a little respect to the '03 Machs. Some of you are letting your heads get a little too big.

EXACTLY!!!! Jeeeez! They keep this up someone should change change the "Terminator" section to the "SwollHeads R Us" section! :beer:

As far as the cost factor goes, some have picked up MACH1s for around $23K to $24K drive out. With the price of a SC install, that's still around $30K(cheaper with the ProCharger). Did any of you Cobra guys come away under $30K? I do agree that the Cobra motor would last longer at the same power levels though.
I love both cars! I just don't like some of the owners as much! LOL!

Guys...........it's not what the block is made of that should be the issue............it the INTERNALS!!!!!!! FORGED VS NON_FORGED!

Last edited:

Road Racin'

Termanata' Killa'
Established Member
Originally posted by DSGMach714
He still has a bumper to bumper warranty.. It might not include engine or some drivetrain components, but he still has one. If part of his suspension fails or his power window fails, that would be covered as his mods did not result in component failure. However, if he blew a piston he would be SOL..

This is what I ment. If I lunch the motor it would be one heck of a loosing fight, but if something else goes wrong it's still covered. Bumper to bumper is still covered.

wuplash

Established Member
Originally posted by SublimeRT
The Mach 1 has been a legend for more than 30 years; definately more legendary than a Cobra. That can't be said about the Cobra. The Mustang Cobra. I think the '03 Cobra guys need to give a little respect to the '03 Machs. Some of you are letting your heads get a little too big.

the mach1 and 03 cobra are both nice cars.but i believe 30 years down the road people will look at a 03 cobra going down the road like it's a legend opposed to a blown mach1:burnout:

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
Originally posted by Road Racin'
OK, then I'll sell it in 29! For now I like my Mach...

LOL and not a day over!

I wonder what will be sought after in the years to come. There has been rumors of going after car companies about the high hp cars on the road. I wonder if that will happen. That will drive our car value up maybe if they start making the Pacer again. They are already going after SUV because the bumper and over all clearance is to high for impacts or should I say imports lol and dangerious for them. THat the whole point of a SUV go where others cant. Maybe just make the ricer car clearance higher lol

I think most all of these cars being a Mach 1 or a Cobra will have there place. Think back who would have thought that a rental car would have been sought after. Then came GT350H but short order it was a collector.

Doesnt matter how fast the car is just the way people think or want at the time.

I think the new Cobra's and Mach's are turning like the old fox cars. You cant find one that hasn't been molested.

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by Road Racin'
The mach still has a warranty b/c the kit is carb legal.

CARB certification has zero to do with the warranty.

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
Mach 1's are very nice cars, but we all know that the 2003/2004 Cobra can never lose. :)

5.0 rag just wanted hyperbole and it cetainly worked. How many of you guys have went to look at that mag or even bought it because of this discussion?

cmylxgo

Established Member
WOW! 5 pages of whining. I think I can set a few things straight here...

The Dyno numbers in the article are accurate for a Mustang Dyno. I agree that the forged internals on the Cobra are a better choice but not nessicary. You can make 500hp all day long with the hyper pistons and powder rods. I've put 100,000 miles of boosted power on those parts without failure.

As for the argument about if you buy a Mach and spend 5k for boost you should of bought a Cobra...

If all I wanted was a blown Mustang then of course I would of bought the 03 Cobra. But thats not what I wanted. You guys shouldn't bash people for choosing to purchase a Mach and bolting a blower on it. I bought the Mach with every intention of putting a blower on it. My reasons...Mach 1 looks cool, has a live axle, and you can get an automatic. The 03 Mach 1 was the first time Ford ever optioned the 4v with an auto in a Mustang. I wanted to be different. I've gone 11.63 @ 120mph with my Blown Automatic Mach 1 with 10psi of boost and a X-Pipe as the only HP mods. 443rwhp and 395rwtq through my slowmatic on a DynoJet Dyno.

The point that 5.0 was trying to make was the differences between the Eaton and the Vortech.

-Corey

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by cmylxgo
The Dyno numbers in the article are accurate for a Mustang Dyno.

They dynoed the exact same car in the Jan. issue and got about 70 more HP and TQ. Someting's not right, even allowing for the standard differences.

Silver 03 Cobra

Originally posted by cmylxgo
WOW! 5 pages of whining. I think I can set a few things straight here...

The Dyno numbers in the article are accurate for a Mustang Dyno. I agree that the forged internals on the Cobra are a better choice but not nessicary. You can make 500hp all day long with the hyper pistons and powder rods. I've put 100,000 miles of boosted power on those parts without failure.

As for the argument about if you buy a Mach and spend 5k for boost you should of bought a Cobra...

If all I wanted was a blown Mustang then of course I would of bought the 03 Cobra. But thats not what I wanted. You guys shouldn't bash people for choosing to purchase a Mach and bolting a blower on it. I bought the Mach with every intention of putting a blower on it. My reasons...Mach 1 looks cool, has a live axle, and you can get an automatic. The 03 Mach 1 was the first time Ford ever optioned the 4v with an auto in a Mustang. I wanted to be different. I've gone 11.63 @ 120mph with my Blown Automatic Mach 1 with 10psi of boost and a X-Pipe as the only HP mods. 443rwhp and 395rwtq through my slowmatic on a DynoJet Dyno.

The point that 5.0 was trying to make was the differences between the Eaton and the Vortech.

-Corey

Less than 10 perscent of the posts have been whining or putting down a Mach and most of the comments are about the negatvity of the article against the 03.

What car have you put 100k miles with a blower? Surely you don't have that many miles on your Mach already? Is the 500 at the crank or the wheels? Big difference. You can probably run it for a lot of miles but just as the article said, you better make sure you run good gas and baby in in the heat. I watched Mark hot lap his 03 at Rockingham making 30 passes almost back to back running 18 psi and low 11.3's in upper 80 temps and then we drove 200 miles to get home. That was more than enough to melt a hyperpathetic piston. With a good tune I'm sure a lot of people can get a lot of miles but you've reached the envelope at 10 psi.

I think most people on here understand the differences in the blowers but the only reason a Mach 4v is making more power with equal boost is the higher compression ratio. The 10:1 CR is worse than not running forged.

Last edited by a moderator:

VENOM98

NOVI POWER
Established Member
There are several reasons ford went with the iron block on the 03 cobra. Everyone has to understand that not all aluminum blocks are created equal. The 96-98 blocks were produced at the foundy (TEKSID) in Italy, the same place Ferrari has castings produced. After 98, they terminated the contract with (TEKSID) and made their own aluminum units (Explorer block). Many racers like (Joe Steewart, Dave King) found that the newer blocks failed at the elevated power levels and found that the earlier aluminum blocks were stronger. Thus without the contract with Teksid, ford had to move over to the iron blocks because it had not perfected the foundry process of the aluminum blocks in its current stable. Thus the 03 cobra moved forward to an iron block. If you notice, the new GT has the aluminum unit becasue ford has finally got the process right.............

There are too many accounts of the older aluminum blocks holding up to unheard of power levels. John Mijovitz has proven this fact time and time again with his race car...........

Users who are viewing this thread