5.0 article Mach WON?????????????

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Cobra10thaniv, lmao....sorry man i didn't even mean you....lmao
And i would like to say sorry for coming into yout tread and fighting...my bad.
i agree with you also, number seem down and it doesn't matter, why, because do you think when you take your car to the dyno it's going to dyno that low...nope....and it doesn't matter what a car dyno's, all that matters is what it does at the track.
Honestly it doesn't suprise me at all that it would be faster, it's lighter to begin with, it's running a centrifugal? SC(correct me if i'm wrong) plus a tune i'm sure, so all in all sounds about right just the numbers seem off but no big deal, take the car to the track and test it yourself and prove to yourself your car is faster/stronger then what mags are telling people.
Some 03 owners act so ghey if another car out performs their car, i mean some take it to another level and yes i question the fact of how many 03/04 owners are past mustang owners.
I see people bitching about this and that, crying over this and that and the first thing i think is, they must be new to the mod motor world because most of this is so mid 90's.
I mean if you think about, theres nothing the Mach1 can do the 03 can't and vise versa, their both the same damn car pretty much(as far as modding goes)just a different setup.
I tend to look at it as a good thing, just another mod motor kickin ass!!!!
Btw, i've owned a 88 lx, 95gt, 96gt, 98 cobra, and right now the only one i own/drive is the 03.
Cobra-Master....already told you, i'm done fighting about it, end of story.

NC STANG GUY

03 gone but not forgotten
Established Member
Originally posted by blwn88cpe
Another article in the mag bashes the 03-04 Cobra also(check out page 19). In the first paragraph it says,"If you thought you were cool because you own an 03-04 Cobra, you might as well own a V6 car." The 05 "concept" car they built is definitely bad-ass but WTF. I'd have to say the 03-04 Cobra is pretty badass as well. And how much will that car cost $50,000, $60,000 or more?

Whatever right. Throw a few mods on the Cobra and we all know what happens. :beer:

Did you even bother to read the whole editorial and see it was an April fools JOKE?

Road Racin'

Termanata' Killa'
Established Member
Phew! At least you guys aren't mad at me or my mach anymore..[puts on flame suit]:burn: :p

Silver 03 Cobra

So--What ever engine sees the most efficient boost is going to make the most power. A centrifical 8-10psi blower is going to out perform a stock eaton, thus making the Mach more powerful than a stock 03-04 Cobra.

The reason the centrifugal blower is making more power at 8-10 psi on a Mach 1 is because it has a 10:1 compression ratio which is even more critical than forged parts.

Astrocoop

Established Member
Originally posted by 03gobluecobra
how much boost is this vortech running? I would believe that a mach1 with a vortech could beat a cobra, as their solid rear lets them leave the hole quicker, and with a supercharger they could make about the same hp. I just don't see the mach's being able to handle the high amounts of boost like an 03 cobra.

Also, keep in mind, an 03 with intake/catback is a huge step up. It's almost as if ford made the cobras less powerful on purpose. This is a restriction I don't think the Mach's have.
Your right on the exhaust, I didn't gain much with a catted X and magnapack cat-back. I only have a 10th second and 1.5 MPH advantage over stock, in the 1/4 and I was a 10th slower in the 1/8, I guess it build power on the top end.

RedTerminator

Established Member
Just my .02

I don't find it surprising at all that Vortech is changing their marketing stragety. After all the 03 Cobra really brought the roots style blower up front. (not discrediting the Lightning). The Cobra has for sure set a bench mark. Everyone is jumping on the band wagon for roots blowers now. KB etc. If I worked at Vortech and saw my market share going away I would take a few magazine dudes out to lunch too. Not a big surprise. What I don't understand is why you would buy a new Mach 1 when for half the price you could pick up a 01 Cobra and still have the same performance after you threw on the blower and all? If I had a Mach 1 I would keep at or near stock. Just me I guess. BTW, I used own a 96 Cobra and my 03 blows it away for fit and finish and over all quality feel.;-)

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
RedTerminator, not mine(98)
Paint chips bad on my 03(never had this problem before on my others).
The body flexs bad on the 03/04's, mines to the point it's rubbing the paint at my door(but this is do to more power kinda, i'm guessing).
The rubber sticking out of the spoiler that shoulda been cut from the factory.
The passager seat rubs the door panel.
But none of this honestly takes away from the car, i love my 03 to death and i agree it's nice but i still wonder if the 03 was rushed because my 96 or 98 didn't have any of these problems.
As far as handling goes, yea it does ride/handle better for sure, thats the first thing you'll notice going from a live axle to an irs.

DSGMach714

Established Member
Originally posted by HotRodHarry
I agree guys...total horseshit! Guess the guys at 5.0 mag cant afford the new Cobra's ...so they scam this story up with Vortech.
Both cars are great...in their own place....just happens that the Cobra is in first and the Mach in second.

Hot Rod(wonder how much that payoff was)Harry

edit: Also..the mag is saying the Mach with Vortech is cheaper...what we are saying is....not so....comes out to around the same price and the mach still doesnt have the parts to back up some serious power..that the cobra guys get included in the package....and its a stock from the factory Cobra...not some hotrodded up Mach that will lose value when modded like that. Especially in the future....

Dude, you of all people shouldn't be talking about "value" of cars. Did value and money sense come into your equatation when you were swapping cars back and forth and making some Ford salesman's day?

But a Vortech'd Mach would be cheaper. I can go grab a new 03 Mach right now for 22k.. 6k for the blower = 28k. I'd be HARD pressed to find any dealer wanting to sell me even a new 03 Cobra for 28k, least here in S.Cal. Believe me, I have TRIED to find one.

Which car is a better buy? Well, a Cobra of course. A forged block, a M112 blower, nice tranny to handle the power etc etc. I don't have the balls to slap on a blower on a Mach 1's stock block. But I think it's cool as hell..

As far as 5.0 mispresenting numbers.. Blah.. :cryying:

Road Racin'

Termanata' Killa'
Established Member
Re: Just my .02

Originally posted by RedTerminator
I don't find it surprising at all that Vortech is changing their marketing stragety. After all the 03 Cobra really brought the roots style blower up front. (not discrediting the Lightning). The Cobra has for sure set a bench mark. Everyone is jumping on the band wagon for roots blowers now. KB etc. If I worked at Vortech and saw my market share going away I would take a few magazine dudes out to lunch too. Not a big surprise. What I don't understand is why you would buy a new Mach 1 when for half the price you could pick up a 01 Cobra and still have the same performance after you threw on the blower and all? If I had a Mach 1 I would keep at or near stock. Just me I guess. BTW, I used own a 96 Cobra and my 03 blows it away for fit and finish and over all quality feel.;-)

Hey Red, The mach has a BIG advantage over the 99-01svt because the intake is totally different and I think the heads are different too. Besides, everyone knows SVT blew it on the 99-01 cobras and they never did what they were suppoed to. The 03svt and the mach 1 are a different story!:thumbsup:

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
I got my 03 for 28k(29k when it was all said and done) back in OCT./NOV when they had the 5k off, crazy thing is, svt had it as 2500 off but here they honored 5k off them.
One other thing to remember though, that Mach1 doesn't have a warranty anymore but that 03 does(only if the dealership will honor it, kinda hit and miss).

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Did you even bother to read the whole editorial and see it was an April fools JOKE?

I read that also, damn I was like mouth all open and sh*t! And until I read the last line I was like damn how am I gonna be able to afford that two! LOL. Got to love these mag's.:beer:

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Tell Bob Cosby his 99 cobra was underrated/under powered.....lmao
Just remeber his 99 cobra is faster then your blown mach1 and stock 03 cobras and he's n/a.....hehe
Any 99 with the "fix" will be no different then a 01 cobra in power, they should be very close or the same....btw, good luck finding any 99 cobra that hasn't had the "fix" because ford had a recall on it and everyone who owned one got mail to bring them in, now who in there right mind wouldn't take any car in for a recall that adds hp?
I think to many of us are getting a little overboard about who bought the better car.
No one bought anything better then the other, you just bought what you either could afford(that being a v6/gt/mach1/cobra) or what you liked best, thats all it is, no such thing as best, just what you like best.

Road Racin'

Termanata' Killa'
Established Member
Originally posted by yeasure
I got my 03 for 28k(29k when it was all said and done) back in OCT./NOV when they had the 5k off, crazy thing is, svt had it as 2500 off but here they honored 5k off them.
One other thing to remember though, that Mach1 doesn't have a warranty anymore but that 03 does(only if the dealership will honor it, kinda hit and miss).

The mach still has a warranty b/c the kit is carb legal. However, it depends on what goes wrong. If you swap the pulley on the cobra your in the same boat. Infact, the ford tech's know to look out for the Cobras because they are so tempting and easy to mod. They check every service port on a cobra to see if's been flashed and they don't bother checking that on most cars.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Trust me....lmao...you don't have a warranty anymore unless your dealership gave you the "ok" first.
I don't care if you just added an air filter, 90% of ford dealerships are 100% anal about any mods done, your best bet is ask before you do any mods.
My dealers ok with the normal stuff(exhaust/CAI/Subframes/blah blah blah) but you are correct, if they see the pully has been pulled, it's no go for me anymore.
Like i said, it's a "hit or miss" subject with ford dealerships.
They don't care if you're driving a mach1/cobra/gt/v6/focus, most dealerships are very anal about mods to any of there cars.
And since you have an AM supercharger, trust me, they will look deep into your car/engine, i can't see why they would be fine with an AM supercharger but not a pully, that makes no sence at all.

Cobra-Master

Established Member
I agree with yeasure... your Ford warranty would be toast if you put a Vortech on a Mach 1.

yeasure, I thought you were done arguing in this thread... :-D just kidding... :)

DSGMach714

Established Member
Trust me....lmao...you don't have a warranty anymore unless your dealership gave you the "ok" first.
I don't care if you just added an air filter, 90% of ford dealerships are 100% anal about any mods done, your best bet is ask before you do any mods.
My dealers ok with the normal stuff(exhaust/CAI/Subframes/blah blah blah) but you are correct, if they see the pully has been pulled, it's no go for me anymore.
Like i said, it's a "hit or miss" subject with ford dealerships.
They don't care if you're driving a mach1/cobra/gt/v6/focus, most dealerships are very anal about mods to any of there cars.
And since you have an AM supercharger, trust me, they will look deep into your car/engine, i can't see why they would be fine with an AM supercharger but not a pully, that makes no sence at all.

He still has a bumper to bumper warranty.. It might not include engine or some drivetrain components, but he still has one. If part of his suspension fails or his power window fails, that would be covered as his mods did not result in component failure. However, if he blew a piston he would be SOL..

Silver 03 Cobra

Just remeber his 99 cobra is faster then your blown mach1 and stock 03 cobras and he's n/a.....hehe
Any 99 with the "fix" will be no different then a 01 cobra in power, they should be very close or the same....btw, good luck finding any 99 cobra that hasn't had the "fix" because ford had a recall on it and everyone who owned one got mail to bring them in, now who in there right mind wouldn't take any car in for a recall that adds hp?
I think to many of us are getting a little overboard about who bought the better car.
No one bought anything better then the other, you just bought what you either could afford(that being a v6/gt/mach1/cobra) or what you liked best, thats all it is, no such thing as best, just what you like best.

Well said. Thats why it pisses me off when some vette owners on this board start boasting about their car being better. I could care less about a C5 other than reading or watching one getting the crap kicked out of it. It was great watching Blades in his last video walking the crap out of a C5. I've watched my buddy kick the snot out of several with not a single loss. Believe me, it bothers the crap out of them when they lose.

I did the recall on my 99. Every owner also got a leather jacket with the VIN stitched inside the pocket. My 99 was black with 4.10s and a full Bassani. It would hold it's own with any bolt-on F-Body. My 01 had BBK LT's with o/r h-pipe, Bassani catback, BBK CAI, U/D's, 4.10's and it dynoed 304 rwhp. An F-Body is nothing to fear with these mods.

Last edited by a moderator:

tvguy

Just curious, what mods does Bob Cosby have with his 99?
pacotaco

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
pacotaco....he's on this board, his nick is his name, just ask him, he'll fill you in.

Users who are viewing this thread