5.0 article Mach WON?????????????

Silver 03 Cobra

Originally posted by SublimeRT
The Mach 1 has been a legend for more than 30 years; definately more legendary than a Cobra. That can't be said about the Cobra. The Mustang Cobra. I think the '03 Cobra guys need to give a little respect to the '03 Machs. Some of you are letting your heads get a little too big.

The original Mach One has been dead for 30 years. Todays Mach One is not the same car :rollseyes. It is simply a name and is not much different than a 99/01 Cobra with the exception of a straight axle. Remember, you are on an 03/04 Cobra board. I owned a 99 and an 01 Cobra. A stock 03 will mop the floor with a NA 4V without a power adder.

I know a guy that has an 01 Cobra with a D1-SC on it and a 99 with a Vortech SQ on it. I've seen him run the 99 twice and it is fast. He has had some issues on his 01. It was built by Dallas Mustang. He knows that he is buying time running boost on either. He just bought a wrecked 03 he is planning on installing in anothe chassis because he knows how much it will take to buld the 01 up to hold 700-800 rwhp. He already has it with the 03 engine he bought.

blwn88cpe

Established Member
First off, let me start by saying that the Mach is definitely a stout car, especially with the Vortech. Also, I like both cars, but I prefer the Cobra(obviously). If I could I would own both.

My biggest problem with the article(and the mag) is the Cobra bashing.

Another article in the mag bashes the 03-04 Cobra also(check out page 19). In the first paragraph it says,"If you thought you were cool because you own an 03-04 Cobra, you might as well own a V6 car." The 05 "concept" car they built is definitely bad-ass but WTF. I'd have to say the 03-04 Cobra is pretty badass as well. And how much will that car cost $50,000, $60,000 or more?

Whatever right. Throw a few mods on the Cobra and we all know what happens. :beer:

Cobra-Master

Established Member
Originally posted by SublimeRT
The Mach 1 has been a legend for more than 30 years; definately more legendary than a Cobra. That can't be said about the Cobra. The Mustang Cobra. I think the '03 Cobra guys need to give a little respect to the '03 Machs. Some of you are letting your heads get a little too big.

The 93 SVT Mustang Cobra put SVT on the automarket map and made them more famous every year since. I'd say the SVT Mustang Cobra is a legend. The late model Mach 1 is basically a 99-01 Cobra with different badges, a nostalgic ploy to sell more cars. As a matter of fact, the name of this forum website is "SVT"performance.com... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
The Cobra numbers were a joke. And even then, the Cobra was ahead in both HP and torque up to 4500 RPM. By quite a bit down low.

And they should add in the price of a rebuild to the Vortech price, since that aluminum block and internals are on borrowed time. There's a reason they went with an iron block on the '03; the aluminum ones were first tested with the Eaton with "catastrophic results" - quote from Ford.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
"There's a reason they went with an iron block on the '03; the aluminum ones were first tested with the Eaton with "catastrophic results" - quote from Ford."
HOLY CRAP BATMAN.....better tell SHM this, man all those race engines being sold and they're all aluminum blocks.
OH GOD, we need to let all the AM Mod Motor builders in on this fast!
Just think, since 96 they've were using the wrong blocks, who woulda ever thought!

bond99

Established Member
Someone over there at our favorite mag has either been payed off, or is smoking some good sh*t----316 hp, thats a joke!

Last edited:

bunk22

Established Member
Originally posted by bond99
Someone over there at our favorite mag has either been payed off, or is smoking some good sh*t----316 hp, thats a joke!

So what would a bone stock 03 Cobra dyno on a Mustang dyno? I've seen a few on the net and they were usually pretty low as well, at least compared to dynojet numbers.

Cobra-Master

Established Member
Originally posted by yeasure
HOLY CRAP BATMAN.....better tell SHM this, man all those race engines being sold and they're all aluminum blocks.
Just think, since 96 they've were using the wrong blocks, who woulda ever thought!

You need to take a look at MMFF's January 2004 edition on page 170 the article called "The Resurrection". That guy blew a hole in the side of his aluminum Lightning block and left pistons and rods all over the track. Hmm, that one didn't work out did it?

Last edited:

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
"There's a reason they went with an iron block on the '03; the aluminum ones were first tested with the Eaton with "catastrophic results" - quote from Ford."

Looky heah JimBob - we gots us one a them thar city slicker snobs.

OH, NOW I GET IT...
THEY JUST USED THE IRON BLOCKS TO IMPROVE HANDLING AND ADD WEIGHT SINCE ANY BLOWN CAR NEEDS TO BE HEAVY AND HANDLE LIKE SHIT.

ALL THESE BUILDERS SURELY WARRANTY THEIR BLOCKS FOR 100,000 MILES TOO.
:rolleyes:

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Like i said, send emails fast....hurry before the next goes!!!!

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
Honestly man i would if i could but 2 things, don't have $$$ and 2 not sure why anyone would want to trade their aluminum block for the cast iron.
I'm thinking of taking a poll to see who has owned a 4.6 other then the 03 they own now.
I love seeing newbies thats had the new mod motors for a little under a year and they know everything because they read it in a mag or it was hear say, just funny.
I'm honestly starting to think most 03/04 owners are past import owners because as much crying a lot of you 03 owners are doing it's just sad.
"My car is best, no one is better, i'm the best, nothing can outrun my monster"
Sorry but anyone who has a problem with a MACH1 outrunning a cobra is just a cry baby, who gives a f%&*, it's a mustang.
Honestly if you bought a 03 because you thought it was the baddest thing on the planet you're so wrong.
The funny thing is, when people ask me what i drive in chat channels, i lie and tell them i have an old beater for a car, 03 owners have gave the cobra such a bad name i don't want anyone to know i own one.
Stock lighting blocks are all cast iron, if it was aluminum then where was it bought from, what was the setup, what cause it to blow a hole in the block, see you tell me everything but at the sametime you tell me nothing at all, if you're going to make a point, make it, don't just say, "oh a mag said or my buddy told me" give info.
I hate to say but good kill MACH1, way to go, atleast you're not crying if a 03 outruns you.
03 owners, grow up, half of you will say, "oh mag racing is gay" but when you see it in a mag you get all upset, sounds like you must believe in mag racing if you take it to heart.
Oh btw, remember, 03's are still running 9's but those older aluminum block cobras with the live axle are running 6-7's, please, don't give me that crap, if you can show 100% proof the aluminum block couldn't hold up please show me and the world because like i said, since 96 they've seemed to be fine.
My proof is in the "real" people out there running and the blocks holding up with 1500-2500rwhp and doing it season after season.
Funny thing is, i've been with the mod motors since 96(owned a 96 gt) and i don't ever recall any problems with the blocks not holding up, it was always the pistons/rods/oil pump gear/water jacks:shrug:
Read all the mags you like but in the real world, the aluminum blocks "ARE" holding up, if you say other wise you havn't been to the track or just havn't been in the mod world long enough.
Btw, i'm getting the feeling some of you think i'm saying the aluminum block is stronger, sorry i didn't mean to state it like that but the aluminum block can and will hold up, just look at all the top mod motors out there, 95% of them are using aluminum blocks, kinda weird to think they coulda went with a cheaper made cast iron block if they were afraid it wouldn't hold up.

Last edited:

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
My picks from a Mach1 or older cobra.....
Auto, something the Mach1 can get(stock)sorry 03/04 owners, only manual for us but thats not a bad thing.....but the t56 is the heaviest tranny fords used in the mustangs.
Live axle, i've owned both(98 cobra/03 cobra) i like the handling of the 03 100% better but the wheel hop knocks that 100% to 50%.....so i'm half and half on it, plus the irs weighs more(one of the 03/04 problems....weigh.
And of course, woulda loved to had an aluminum block with a good oil pump gear from factory(but thats something no stock 4.6 has:( )
The point is, the Mach1 has things we need or would like to have, it's just up to you the person to mod it to make it better.
All the Mach1 did was add what was missing from his car that we had.
As far as the numbers go from the mag, who cares, car mags job is to make $$$ and sell parts, it's nothing new under the sun and does it make me wish i didn't buy an 03 over a mach1, nope not at all, either way you got a nice mustang imo.

Last edited:

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-Master
You need to take a look at MMFF's January 2004 edition on page 170 the article called "The Resurrection". That guy blew a hole in the side of his aluminum Lightning block and left pistons and rods all over the track. Hmm, that one didn't work out did it?
Hate to burst your bubble, but Lightning blocks are iron.

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
Originally posted by blwn88cpe
My biggest problem with the article(and the mag) is the Cobra bashing.

Another article in the mag bashes the 03-04 Cobra also(check out page 19). In the first paragraph it says,"If you thought you were cool because you own an 03-04 Cobra, you might as well own a V6 car." The 05 "concept" car they built is definitely bad-ass but WTF. I'd have to say the 03-04 Cobra is pretty badass as well. And how much will that car cost $50,000, $60,000 or more?

You know at the end of that article it said "April Fools" right? Guess you got fooled. lol.

Cobra-Master

Established Member
Originally posted by MikeC
Hate to burst your bubble, but Lightning blocks are iron.

You aren't bursting my bubble, the fact that a Lightning block is iron even more so proves my point! If that guy can blow a hole in an iron block like that, then an aluminum would have hit the crapper long before the iron block.

Besides, it doesn't matter anymore. I found a separate article in MMFF (the Nov. 2002 edition from last year) where they put a Vortech on a Mach 1 and it kicked ass with 434 RWHP... pretty awesome. The nice thing about the MMFF article on the blown Mach 1 is that it didn't bash any other cars.

yeasure, read the article to get the facts you are asking about in the MMFF article... I'm not going to read it for you.

yeasure

Old School ModularMan
Established Member
First off, he did bust your bubble...
Second, now you're saying because the cast iron couldn't hold up then theres no way the aluminum can?
Dude honestly i'm done with this, there are to many people on this board owning mustangs that don't have a clue(not all).
You keep reading your magz and coming up with your make-believe ideas, it's all good, it's your opinion.....btw, do you even own a mod motor?

Cobra10thaniv

Established Member
1. I'm thinking of taking a poll to see who has owned a 4.6 other then the 03 they own now.

2. I'm honestly starting to think most 03/04 owners are past import owners because as much crying a lot of you 03 owners are doing it's just sad.

3. "My car is best, no one is better, i'm the best, nothing can outrun my monster"
Sorry but anyone who has a problem with a MACH1 outrunning a cobra is just a cry baby, who gives a f%&*, it's a mustang.
Honestly if you bought a 03 because you thought it was the baddest thing on the planet you're so wrong.

4. I hate to say but good kill MACH1, way to go, atleast you're not crying if a 03 outruns you.
03 owners, grow up, half of you will say, "oh mag racing is gay" but when you see it in a mag you get all upset, sounds like you must believe in mag racing if you take it to heart.

I hope you don’t mind me asking you some questions since I started this thread and it appeared your attacking Me rather than the reason why I started it.

1. Yes I have a other 4.6 mustangs. There all good cars and at the same time have the 03 Cobra Not sure how that is relevant but do u still have both or just trade and only have the Cobra?

2. I take it that you think im crying about the mach beating the cobra? PLEASE read it again. They print articles for mustang people and promote products. Well basically it does. I wasn’t happy IMHO about there fig, Not that the Mach beat it. gees it sure should have! You missed my point although you did bring up mag hype which is true. But if we as a public don’t say anything or question things and Mag articles are pure fiction reading. Then for me the mag is a waste why even buy. I Think its bad enough with all the women in front of the cars. I bought a car mag, not a girly mag. Unless the lady or guy is the owner. then don’t sit on the car or stand in front of it. I love to see owners that’s cool not models.

3. Im stock car, Just do car shows. Do you really think by my thread that I think no ones car is better than all the rest and the though of me saying no one beats a cobra?, Gees no! there are tons of cars out there. I bought this one though, But I do have lots of other cars in the shed, It like when everyone asks me what do you like better one of the 4 turbo Rx7 rotary's or the mustangs, or the cobra or mention my old Porsche. They all are equally as fun.

Am I whining about my car? because of my ethics question of true testing?

Tell you the truth I could care less the Mach 1 was faster it should have been. But I thought the mis rep of true #'s and sales vs truth.
There was good mention in the thread about what dyno they used. That was great feedback and I nodded my head and said alright sounds reasonable. I not sure how to describe your replies but could easily be taken as slams rather than feed back.

4. So your telling me in my posted thread in your last mention that I need to grow up? since Im a 03 owner. Maybe you don’t realize others on the board know me but

Im car enthusiast not just a 03 Cobra enthusiast.

Im a old FE guy ran the old cobra jets and its fun to keep up with more modern or future classics also. I do have many brands of cars 10 of them ford products. I was more after fact posting how they can post #'s like that.

Maybe I should have took the time to post this but Im giving you the benefit of the doubt that you meant well with your post.

Car enthusiasts read magazines on cars thought most all of us did. I guess im use to being at work and presenting #'s that don’t jive in the engineering meeting, you have to back it up

Sorry about length of reply

Cobra-Master

Established Member
First off, he did bust your bubble...
Second, now you're saying because the cast iron couldn't hold up then theres no way the aluminum can?
Dude honestly i'm done with this, there are to many people on this board owning mustangs that don't have a clue(not all).
You keep reading your magz and coming up with your make-believe ideas, it's all good, it's your opinion.....btw, do you even own a mod motor?

Damn, this has gotten to a new level of ridiculousness even for a message board! :whine:

You are the one who came in here spouting incorrect facts that aluminum blocks are stronger than iron blocks. I think you are the one that doesn't have a clue. And, YES I am saying that if an iron block couldn't hold up, an aluminum block couldn't hack whatever this guy was throwing at it either... the yield strength of aluminum is far lower than iron and alloy steels.

As to your question to if I own a mod motor...? I own an '03 Cobra and a 95 Cobra. I've got the best of both worlds with a 4.6L and a 5.0L. Not sure the point of that question, but at this point I don't give a shit.

Cobra10thaniv has it right, and I agree with everything he is saying. I'm an engineer and I definetely know what he's talking about by having to back up your numbers. The numbers in this article didn't add up.

I finish with the fact that the Mach 1 rocks with a Vortech, and it should!!

Why don't you please do us all a favor and sell your '03 Cobra and go get a Mach 1 with a Vortech and be happy?

BigDaddy

Established Member
Funny (kinda sad too) how these things get out of hand.

Here is how I see it:

Both cars have the same engine design besides the fact that the 03-04 Cobra's has forged (stronger) parts and come with a supercharger.

So--What ever engine sees the most efficient boost is going to make the most power. A centrifical 8-10psi blower is going to out perform a stock eaton, thus making the Mach more powerful than a stock 03-04 Cobra.

The Mach 1 is a lighter car, thanks to a solid axle, and aluminum block, and various other little stuff. So, that helps a lot as well.

The advantage of the Cobra is that it comes with a Bad to the Bone bottom end and has more power potential than a Mach 1 DOHC, just becasue of the parts used.

I've known quite a few 98-99 cobra guys push the limit with their non forged motors and they ended up spending more than the cost difference between a 03 Mach and a 03 Cobra to repair and upgrade for the added supercharger.

My opinion on the MACH 1: Love the hood, hate the seats and wheels.--But is is a great buy for the Money.

I know a guy who runs 12.8's in his MACH with simple bolts on's, gears, and some tires. -No Supercharger.

I'll stick with my Cobra though.

Now that I've said my part you can all stop arguing--right?

:bored:

Dan :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread