5.0 Fox vs 97 Cobra.. Who wins?

whitey92lx

westsidemustangs.com
Established Member
How many 96-01 Cobras have you had with 4.56 of larger gears?

They are a little much on the highway, but are very livable in a dialy driver and are an absolute must to get the most performance out of these cars.

A 4.10 is the bare MINIMUM that I would put in an N/A 4.6 Cobra.

BTW, drivers aside, the Cobra will rape the Fox vert. Even with a mild H/C/I the cobra will probably win.

I havent had any car ever with a 4.56 but all I meant is that it would be a little steep for the highway and usual daily driving. Jeez..:shrug:

On another side note... In my fox, I have ran several "not stock" 96-97 cobras (on the street) with me off the bottle and I will put at least 2 full car lengths before shutting it down in third... It is def. possible that the fox could get him, but I dont have any of the above mentioned heads, cam, or intake.. and neither does the said fox. :rolling:

mr2cam

Established Member
i don't doubt he'll win. But, he owes me a little payback
here are a few video's. the silver L is mine, the black is my best friends
(the bike is mine too)
YouTube - racing in ww
and no, he wasnt really wheeling, he tried to turn around

YouTube - goofing off in Walla Walla

YouTube - MR2 vs Cobra

and just for mr2cam, here is your missed shift...
YouTube - CT27 Accel

HAHA u ***! I wish I had videos of you missing 2nd gear like 3 times in a row at that test and tune hahaha. BTW I want a rematch against ur tiller, this time 25psi instead of 15 and no passenger for me, we'll do it before you go to san diego.

Topherbleh

Beer Master
Established Member
this particular NA DOHc cobra has a terrible driver... ;)

**** you dusten! I think I will win this one but either way it should be a fun day. It's time for you to start drinking beer again.

4.56s in this car are perfect, i wouldn't have it any other way!

Dusten

Established Member
HAHA u ***! I wish I had videos of you missing 2nd gear like 3 times in a row at that test and tune hahaha. BTW I want a rematch against ur tiller, this time 25psi instead of 15 and no passenger for me, we'll do it before you go to san diego.
wont happen. Im not spending the money to get the bike in shape to be ridden. It needs plugs, oil change, coolant flush and a few other little things. Im not going through all that, because i wont ride it this year.

**** you dusten! I think I will win this one but either way it should be a fun day. It's time for you to start drinking beer again.

4.56s in this car are perfect, i wouldn't have it any other way!

Im pretty sure you will chris. I was wondering if you'd find this thread. And i've started drinking beer again. I just dont really go out.

John4cam

Established Member
I havent had any car ever with a 4.56 but all I meant is that it would be a little steep for the highway and usual daily driving. Jeez..:shrug:

On another side note... In my fox, I have ran several "not stock" 96-97 cobras (on the street) with me off the bottle and I will put at least 2 full car lengths before shutting it down in third... It is def. possible that the fox could get him, but I dont have any of the above mentioned heads, cam, or intake.. and neither does the said fox. :rolling:

An N/A cobra needs 4.10's or steeper to run half decent. When mine was N/a I had 4.30's, Long tubes, with matching x pipe and flows. It also had basic bolt ons, pulleys, Tb, mass air meter. Even Highway driving wasn't bad. If you like driving 80 mph, you might not like them. 4.56's wouldn't be much different.

I ran a buddy's ex police notch with trick flow H/C/I with gears with full exhaust. I would edge him out everytime. I dont know what kind of dohc cars you're running into, but they must be hurting if they're as modded as you say..

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Assuming decent traction and no missed gears........the Cobra should not have a problem at all. The Fox is probably putting down around 230-235rwhp while the Cobra is closer to 280rwhp maybe even more. Not to mention the gearing advantage of the Cobra and superior top end power of the 4valve.

My prediction is 97 Cobra > 5.0 by atleast 2-3 car lengths.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
^ I will say that it is very.........very easy to outrun a bolt on 96-98 Cobra with a 5.0 (especially a notch). It just requires the correct combination. My car with AFR 165 heads, Performer intake, and a cam made 328rwhp 337rwtq. I had no problem with bolt on LS1s and sure as hell wouldn't have any problem with a bolt on 96-98 Cobra!

KduncSS

Established Member
^ I will say that it is very.........very easy to outrun a bolt on 96-98 Cobra with a 5.0 (especially a notch). It just requires the correct combination. My car with AFR 165 heads, Performer intake, and a cam made 328rwhp 337rwtq. I had no problem with bolt on LS1s and sure as hell wouldn't have any problem with a bolt on 96-98 Cobra!

Im not doubting the capabilities of a 5.0 car at all. Just in this particular match up its clear that the Cobra is the faster car. The Fox vert in question is stock H/C/I. I think that one guys post about H/C/I 5.0's has created a little confusion in this thread with some thinking the car in the OP is modded more than it is lol.

My buddies 95 Cobra with just a B cam Trickflow intake and full bolt ons was making almost 300rwhp. With 4.10 gears and the driver mod he surprised ALOT of people. And was a damn good race for my SS with me barely pulling on him a 1/2 car before I had the stall converter put in. I respect 5.0's as much as the next guy........but when they are just minor bolt ons they arent that quick. Unless you have a gutted notch maybe.

Dusten

Established Member
Assuming decent traction and no missed gears........the Cobra should not have a problem at all. The Fox is probably putting down around 230-235rwhp while the Cobra is closer to 280rwhp maybe even more. Not to mention the gearing advantage of the Cobra and superior top end power of the 4valve.

My prediction is 97 Cobra > 5.0 by atleast 2-3 car lengths.

superior gears? Just out curiousity, how are 4.56's in a dohc cobra better than 3.73's in a fox?

KduncSS

Established Member
superior gears? Just out curiousity, how are 4.56's in a dohc cobra better than 3.73's in a fox?

I could be wrong. Maybe someone is bored enough to post gear ratios of a Fox with a T5 and 3.73's vs. an SN95 Cobra with a T45 and 4.56's. IMO though without a dobut a high revving 4valve Cobra with 4.56 gears has the advantage.....atleast when comparing these 2 cars.

Dusten

Established Member
3.73's are as near to a perfect gear as can be had with the 5liter. it has much better low end, and doesnt rev as high. It doesnt need the gear that the 4.6 does to get into its powerband.

KduncSS

Established Member
3.73's are as near to a perfect gear as can be had with the 5liter. it has much better low end, and doesnt rev as high. It doesnt need the gear that the 4.6 does to get into its powerband.

Ok.......thats great for the 5.0. Im aware that 3.73's are a good choice in gear for those cars. But even so the DOHC 4.6 has 4.56's which is a good choice in gear for those cars. That will allow it to rev quicker into the upper RPMs where it makes ALOT more power than a non H/C/I 5.0 car. Not to mention that the low end is drastically improved with quicker acceleration that will at the very LEAST match a bolt on 5.0 with 3.73's I think. So in conclusion, the low end of both cars will be similar while the top end battle is all Cobra.

Dusten

Established Member
1st 3.35 2nd 1.99 3rd 1.33 4th 1.00 5th .675

1st 3.37 2nd 1.99 3rd 1.33 4th 1.00 5th .67

the top is a t5, the bottom a t45. they have near identical ratios

using my gears and tires, and shifting between 5000 and 5500, it keeps me in my power band, 3500+ rpms

with the 4v having 4.56's and shifting at 7000, he drops to about 4500 with each shift, which is good for him too.

I see the gears providing no advantage to either car.

I still give the win to the cobra

Stopsign32v

Established Member
silverstang00 the arrow wasn't for you. lol You posted before I could. It was for the guy before you.

John4cam

Established Member
silverstang00 the arrow wasn't for you. lol You posted before I could. It was for the guy before you.

I was just making it known that a H/C/I fox Can be beat by a bolt on cobra. The one in question has bolt ons and a vert, so I give the win to the cobra. There are without a doubt combos for a 302 fox that could walk 96-98's, I have never ran across one.

The 97 in these videos seems a little anemic if you ask me so who knows who wins between these particular cars.:beer:

mr2cam

Established Member
Chris needs to get his clutch adjusted and then I think it should be an easy win for him, until then it could be close, Chris's car is a bitch to shift, have to put the clutch all the way to the floor for it to shift.

Dusten

Established Member
no, it started raining around noon yesterday and didnt let up. im hoping for today

Users who are viewing this thread