500 RWHP DD tire options...

Which 275 tire for my 500rwhp, rain driven Cobra?

• Kumho XS

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • BFG KDW 2

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • Toyo R1R

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

topfueldart

Established Member
First off, Ive searched, done tons of research on here, as well as tirerack and manufacturers sites. That being said, obviously other ported eaton, 500whp and similar Cobra owners will have the best insight regarding this decision making process. Also, being I live in Seattle, rain IS a factor. Currently have stock 04 Chromes, so I'm fairly tire limited. My thoughts...

I realize ANY 275 is going to spin. I dont expect miracles, just a good compromise.
No R888's.. only having 6/32 tread depth on brand new tires is a huge detractor for me.
No Drag Radials, I will see rain and dont want to be constantly on eggshells.
I also think the ability to rotate will help me milk some more miles out of these rubbers (275's all around)

I think the best all around options are the Kumho Ecsta XS, the KDW 2, and the Toyo R1R.

XS/KDW are both good because there are 295's as well if I decide to buy a set of reps(XS 315's too), KDW's have a great rain rep and sound like they last very well, and the R1R sounds like a great all around tire, but I havent heard of ANYONE with a cobra using them on the rear, and there are no larger sizes. (but theres a guy selling PAIRS for 250 on eBay!!!)

Am I totally delusional and I'm gonna spin through 3rd on all of these consistently? :burnout:
Or does anyone else have any personal experience to help make a logical decision? :lol:

frank5o

Bleed Ford Blue
Established Member
Goodyear eagle F1 GS-D3s are a great all around tire, really good in rain, and hook up decent when new and fresh. They also wear better then any tire I've ever used, minimal chopping and feathering

Last edited:

Anabolic

Banned
if we're adding nitto in the bunch get 555s..

but still all serious bfg KDW theyre nice and well manufactured and provide exc. traction

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
the 300 tread rated non-dr nitto 555 is one of the worst choices you can make imo, very hard tire. you will spin it through 3 gears. the non-dr 200 tread rated nt05 is vastly superior and will hook a lot closer on the street to the 100 tread rated 555R dr

va boy

Established Member
the 200 tread rated nitto nt05 is a great tire and rain drives well. i'd add those to your list for consideration

I agree with this. Just swapped out a bald set of NT05's for some M/T streets, after the Whipple went on. I had around 470/460 before and the NT05's did really well for me.They were great tires in dry or wet conditions. I also managed to get 10K out of mine, but I don't really do any burn outs either. Just something else to consider,

T800

Established Member
I realize ANY 275 is going to spin. I dont expect miracles, just a good compromise.
No R888's.. only having 6/32 tread depth on brand new tires is a huge detractor for me.
No Drag Radials, I will see rain and dont want to be constantly on eggshells.
I also think the ability to rotate will help me milk some more miles out of these rubbers (275's all around)

I know you don't want to hear this, but R888.

I have 6,000+ miles on mine aleady and can show you the tread wear IN PERSON(I am in West Seattle). My car is a road warrior, not some garage queen...driven EVERY day, 80 mile round trip from Seattle to Gig Harbor 3-4 times a week...street race it..been rolling all day today in that pissing down rain at 70+ mph. When its dry...well, you know how they are when its dry. :-D

hotcobra03

Established Member
i seen a black cobra at dealer yesterday he had 335 on back kdw2 for real it was ugly..
the first tread design i like
i was going to try them..

i like the goodyear the best but not the price..i find used goodyears every now and than..

i had gotten the yokohama s trim in 275/40 all the way around(craigslist 400)..i do feel sway in rubber like the kumhos did

SVT Pille

Established Member
The KDW2 is an awesome tire, real good in the rain, they look sweet and hook fairly well. I'd look at the Nitto NT555's and NT05's too.

JDUB348

Established Member
I would say get some 10.5" wheels and 315 wide tires. Thats what i have and when its wet out you can completely forget about getting on it.. with 275's in the rear it wold be even worse

Last edited:

DSGWhippedSnake

Right you are ken
Established Member
I'm no ported car, but I gotta say...mines a DD as well, I've tried all different kinds of tires and so far the best bang for the buck are my nitto 555 extremes. When they're at normal/warm driving temps they dead hook in 2nd gear and they hook surprisingly well in first. Wheel spin is minimal, even though they're 315's...I'd consider them in a 285/40-17 since you're running stockers. They wear very well and are awesome in the rain.

topfueldart

Established Member
I would say get some 10.5" wheels and 315 wide tires. Thats what i have and when its wet out you can completely forget about getting on it.. with 275's in the rear it wold be even worse

I'm fully ok with th fact it will spin in the rain no matter what, shit non ported on baldies in damp weather a few weeks back it spun at 80 in 4th... Like I said just want something reasonable for when I am driving like a white man (90% of the time) and when I buy 10.5's they will get dr's for the track.

Thanks for the opinions, I'm kinda leaning R1R based on the deal, even if I'm disappointed, I can put 888's in the back down the road.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Like others have stated the std non-R NT05 is a great street tire. I run them and they hook once warm. They wear well too. They are just a little softer than the std 555 extremes.

That said though I am going to start DDing R888s before long due to increases in power.

T800

Established Member
I'm fully ok with th fact it will spin in the rain no matter what, shit non ported on baldies in damp weather a few weeks back it spun at 80 in 4th... Like I said just want something reasonable for when I am driving like a white man (90% of the time) and when I buy 10.5's they will get dr's for the track.

Thanks for the opinions, I'm kinda leaning R1R based on the deal, even if I'm disappointed, I can put 888's in the back down the road.

Not sure what deal you're getting for the R1R's, but just for perspective I paid $500 shipped to my door(Tires Direct) for the two 315/18's on the rear of my car. Crap...Les Schwab hosed me for that much on the two Hankooks on the front(long story).

If you don't put the kind of miles on your car that I do, the R888's could last you a year or two. People are seeing around 10k on them. I admit to being a raging fanboi when it comes to the R888...I have run almost every performance tire out there that was worth a damn and have never been more impressed than I am with the these tires.

I had GoodYear F1's on my car before and they spun like it was wet out...I lost so many races due to those damn tires. I swore never again. Worst thing in the world to me is coming up on that dream race and getting your ass handed to you cuz your tires are a compromise.

I figure I am driving a car that is pretty impractical to begin with...so why run a "practical" tire? Same reason I run dual N2O tanks...I don't want to lose a race because I'm not prepared. :burnout:

Ryushin

Established Member
For a tire that has comparable grip and water channeling, you should really be looking at the Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta.
Details - Vredestein
You can buy them from AFS Wheels:
About Vredestein Tires

Price is about half of the GS-D3's. After running them for 18 months, they are very comparable to the GS-D3's which I had on before. I daily drive my cobra as well. I think the Vredestein is cheaper in the US as they are trying to break into the US market. They are a very popular tire manufacture in Europe. They even come in 315's for when you want to move to 10.5 wheels. AFS has deals with the wheels and the tires.

Users who are viewing this thread