500rwhp 2003 Cobra!

jtfx6552

Established Member
You too,
Are you in central or south Jersey?
What tracks to you go to, Englishtown?Atco? Cecil?
JT

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552
You too,
Are you in central or south Jersey?
What tracks to you go to, Englishtown?Atco? Cecil?
JT

I am in south Jersey. About 5 clicks north of Long Beach Island. I prefer Atco to Englishtown; mainly because the drive is shorter and I like the backroads as opposed to the main highways to get to RWP. Also, RWP is much more 'high-profile' and while testing and tuning, I prefer to lay low at Atco; incase I make an ass out of myself. Once I get stuff ironed out and squared away, I go show off at RWP.

BfB

Banned
FWIW, Diablo has posted the .cry files of the 130 hp program for us dealers so we can burn you a chip. There is also another program for it at this time:

There are two files:

30rwhp and 30 ft/lbs of torque on a stock engine with exhaust (x-pipe) and air filter.

Same setup with 2.81" upper pulley and pulley tune gave an additional 100rwhp at 12psi of boost.

You'll need a 4-bank chip if you already have a Diablo chip laying around from another vehicle. It'll say 1-bank or 4-bank on it. The two files are "custom" files so they will run more than standard burns, but if you want an EXCELLENT price I will beat anyone out there!

Last edited:

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by BfB
Same setup with 2.81" upper pulley and pulley tune gave an additional 100rwhp at 12psi of boost.
[/B]

DA-A-A-A-A-AMMM!!!

Yeah, nothing like slapping an additional 100 RWHP...just incase you got bored with stock power :burnout:

Is that the program that extends the rev limiter to 7000? I hope so...I LIKE that idea!

But you gotta bypass the 'abuse valve' that dumps boost at the bypass valve, right? I had it done on mine for a SuperChip project. It's just a matter of plugging one vaccuum line and t-ing off another that feeds the intake.

No biggie!

BfB

Banned
Originally posted by Hammer

But you gotta bypass the 'abuse valve' that dumps boost at the bypass valve, right? I had it done on mine for a SuperChip project. It's just a matter of plugging one vaccuum line and t-ing off another that feeds the intake.

No biggie!

Actually, just as on the Lightnings, you can unplug it. This will set a resetable code but it will not hurt performance, nor will it hurt the vehicle.

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by BfB

Actually, just as on the Lightnings, you can unplug it. This will set a resetable code but it will not hurt performance, nor will it hurt the vehicle.

Hmmm...but I thought that if you unplugged it then the blower runs 'full steam' constantly and loses it's bypass relief functionality. This is evident by a whine sound at idle when the blower should be disengaging and quiet.

Pretty sure it's gotta be re-routed to a different vaccuum line in order to run like stock.

BfB

Banned

Hmmm...but I thought that if you unplugged it then the blower runs 'full steam' constantly and loses it's bypass relief functionality. This is evident by a whine sound at idle when the blower should be disengaging and quiet.

I should have clarified my earlier post: This should only be done at the track if you do not do the boost bypass mod.

jtfx6552

Established Member
What if you want to run the Lightning pulley with the stock exhaust? I know, I know, I'm gettin' old, but I like the quiet sleeper aspect of the stock exhaust note, will Diablo modify one of the programs for that? How would that be accomplished? Just go to the most local Diablo place that has a dyno, or do you need to find one special guy? For now I'd like to avoid driving to alabama for a tune ;-). I am local to the central jersey tuners that all seem to have good reputations, not sure which ones have which brand of chip though.
JT

BfB

Banned
What if you want to run the Lightning pulley with the stock exhaust? I know, I know, I'm gettin' old, but I like the quiet sleeper aspect of the stock exhaust note, will Diablo modify one of the programs for that? How would that be accomplished?

If you want a program for this beast w/ stock exhaust I can get you that too.

email me at the below email addy!

[email protected]

Last edited:

03Coupe

Established Member
Can someone explain to me what this boost bypass valve/ mod does?

Thanks,

03Coupe

Hammer

Established Member
What if you want to run the Lightning pulley with the stock exhaust? I know, I know, I'm gettin' old, but I like the quiet sleeper aspect of the stock exhaust note, will Diablo modify one of the programs for that? How would that be accomplished? Just go to the most local Diablo place that has a dyno, or do you need to find one special guy? For now I'd like to avoid driving to alabama for a tune ;-). I am local to the central jersey tuners that all seem to have good reputations, not sure which ones have which brand of chip though.
JT

The right way is to get a custom tuned chip for your car. You can do that at any authorized Diablosport or SuperChips dealer (or whatever chip you want to go with).

If you order one by mail, it could NEVER be as good as a custom dyno tune using an O2 sensor-not even if you specify exactly what's in the car.

I had mine done at Crazy Horse Racing by Chris Winter 732-553-9050. He's got the dyno and the expensive machines that can read your computer, calculate all variables and dial in the right combo. He's in South Amboy NJ and the chip netted me 42 RWHP.

You also got Jim at JDM Engineering in Freehold. JDM's dyno is either in already or going in this week.

You can't lose with either shop!

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by 03Coupe
Can someone explain to me what this boost bypass valve/ mod does?

Thanks,

03Coupe

Our 03 Cobras have an 'abuse valve' in them. It senses Rate of Acceleration. When this variable goes higher than what the computer deem's acceptable, it opens the supercharger bypass valve and takes all boost out of the car.

As any 03 owner starts making good mods, this abuse valve will kick on. So in order to make big power and get good performance, the abuse valve must be bypassed. This can EASILY be done without altering any other functionality of the car. While it hooks up to the blower bypass valve, the sensor can be disabled without disturbing normal function of the bypass valve in any way. It is not something new; L truck owners have the same issue. Call JDM if you want more technical details on it. He could write a book on it and explain the whole thing to you. Jim's the one who set it up in my car.

And it has nothing to do with abusing the vehicle like the name implies. It is simply a 'rate of acceleration' sensor. You want to increase your rate of acceleration? You gotta disable the abuse valve.

03Coupe

Established Member
Do you have to rewire to get around this valve , or can you program it into a chip?

03Coupe

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by 03Coupe
Do you have to rewire to get around this valve , or can you program it into a chip?
03Coupe

It's got nothing to do with the chip or wiring. It's just vaccuum lines: small, 1/4" plastic tubes near the supercharger. One has to be re-routed to another vaccuum source. It takes about 3 minutes and there's really nothing do it.

sn8kbite

Established Member
I am trying to locate the following items for my 2003 Cobra.
1.Catbacks (dont want the 2000 dollar one posted on here and not steeda)
2. Pulley (would like an additional 2 or 3 pounds boost,can i use lightning pulley)
3. X or H pipe with hiflow cats (is there any real horsepower gain from this?)
4.Chip (needs to be programmed to work with all of these mods)
5.Cold Air Intake System (any HP increase here or is it a waste?)

Please be specific with replies,part numbers,specs ect...
I need all of these parts within the next 2 weeks.
Please if you can share any information on specifics or where i might find these parts please post your feedback or Email me at
[email protected]

mike69440

Established Member
Hammer, how about some instructions and how to photos

Hammer, how about some instructions and how to photos on how to disable the abuse valve and not effect the bypass valve closed throttle bypass function?

Much appreciated.

BfB

Banned
Re: Hammer, how about some instructions and how to photos

Originally posted by mike69440
Hammer, how about some instructions and how to photos on how to disable the abuse valve and not effect the bypass valve closed throttle bypass function?

It's easy, just unplug it the wiring to it. You do not have to waste 2.50 at your local hardware or autoparts store, nor do you have to waste 25.00 for some kit.

Unplugging it does the same exact thing, it sets a "soft" code in the computer that does not trigger an SES light on the dash, nor will this hinder vehicle performance.

BTW, describing that bypass as "rate of acceleration", or an "abuse valve" really isn't accurate. You can put a lot of mods on your Cobra/Lightning/HD and it probably will never kick in, but it can, and you'll lose boost for several 2nds.

Last edited:

Hammer

Established Member
Re: Hammer, how about some instructions and how to photos

Originally posted by mike69440

Much appreciated.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, bud. For some reason, I didn't get an email notification of your reply.

Sure, I can take some pictures and give you some instructions. It's easy to do. I learned it from Jim @ JDM. He's a good guy and knows his stuff.

BfB

Banned
Re: Re: Hammer, how about some instructions and how to photos

Sure, I can take some pictures and give you some instructions. It's easy to do.

Just unplug it. It does the SAME thing.

Users who are viewing this thread