500rwhp 2003 Cobra!

Hammer

Established Member
Re: Re: Hammer, how about some instructions and how to photos

Originally posted by BfB

It's easy, just unplug it. You do not have to waste 2.50 at your local hardware or autoparts store, nor do you have to waste 25.00 for some kit.

Unplugging it does the same exact thing, it sets a "soft" code in the computer that does not trigger an SES light on the dash, nor will this hinder vehicle performance.

BTW, describing that bypass as "rate of acceleration" really isn't accurate. You can put a lot of mods on your Cobra/Lightning/HD and it probably will never kick in, but it can, and you'll lose boost for several 2nds.

I think you are mistaken on that plug. At least, it didn't work in my car as you describe. I know, I tried it. Unplugging it did make the valve stop dumping boost but it also disabled normal functionality of the bypass valve. The blower would run constantly at 'full steam' with that plug off. This was evident by the blower whine at idle.

Jim at JDM is the one that educated me on it. He called a 'rate of acceleration' sensor. And he's the one who knew about how to get around it properly without losing other vehicle functionality.

No offense, but I think I am going to stick with Jim's advice and instructions. His resume and credentials are pretty tough to compete with when it comes to Lightning/03 Cobra performance know-how.

92LX5.0

Established Member
Originally posted by sn8kbite
I am trying to locate the following items for my 2003 Cobra.
1.Catbacks (dont want the 2000 dollar one posted on here and not steeda)
2. Pulley (would like an additional 2 or 3 pounds boost,can i use lightning pulley)
3. X or H pipe with hiflow cats (is there any real horsepower gain from this?)
4.Chip (needs to be programmed to work with all of these mods)
5.Cold Air Intake System (any HP increase here or is it a waste?)

Please be specific with replies,part numbers,specs ect...
I need all of these parts within the next 2 weeks.
Please if you can share any information on specifics or where i might find these parts please post your feedback or Email me at
[email protected]

Dame dude, a little demanding are we? :punch: have some manners

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by 92LX5.0

Please be specific with replies,part numbers,specs ect...
I need all of these parts within the next 2 weeks.
Please if you can share any information on specifics or where i might find these parts please post your feedback or Email me at
[email protected]

Dame dude, a little demanding are we? :punch: have some manners

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was thinking the same thing! WOW! I'm glad someone else said it first.

Yes, sir! I'll get right on that.

FINICKY

Established Member
ok but if this thing actually kicked in you would fel a huge diference rite?????? or would it just bleed a little like a turbo waste gate.... i have the pulley and never felt it tottaly dump the boost but im wondering if mines bleeding a little boost off.

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by BfB
well if unplugging it doesn't work for you:

do it yourself bypass of the bypass:

http://www.ncs-stl.com/Images/BoostMod.jpg

Wait a minute, I want to clarify something. We NEED the bypass valve. All superchargers need a functional bypass valve for longevity and heat reduction. The fix that I am talking about disables the abuse sensor that is triggered by rate of acceleration (as Jim@JDM and Chris Winter@Crazy Horse Racing put it). This abuse sensor, when acceleration happens faster than it "deems safe", opens the bypass valve completely and all boost escapes before going into the intake.

But that is not the only function of the bypass valve that sits next to the blower under our hoods. When I pulled out the plug that you spoke of, my bypass valve stopped working altogather. That is not a good thing for the car.

One of the two vaccum lines that connects to the bypass valve is controled by this 'abuse sensor'. Jim re-routed it to a vaccum source behind the blower, near the firewall. He used 2 1/4" vaccum tubes and a vaccum T. When he did that, normal bypass valve functionality came back for me and the abuse valve "dump" at full throttle disappeared.

The fix took him about 3 minutes and, like you said, $2.50 worth of materials.

I just wanted to make sure that we were talking about the same thing.

I am just learning about this stuff so I would recommend that you call Jim@JDM for a better technical explanation.

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by FINICKY
ok but if this thing actually kicked in you would fel a huge diference rite?????? or would it just bleed a little like a turbo waste gate.... i have the pulley and never felt it tottaly dump the boost but im wondering if mines bleeding a little boost off.

Yes. When the abuse sensor kicks on, the car falls on it's face like the traction control. Jim told me that pulley swap alone doesn't always cause the problem, although it sometimes can. But he said that when you reach a certain level of performance, all cars will experience it.

For me, it was triggered by the chip. I spoke with a DiabloSport engineer that had just finalized a 03 chip and they had to do the same thing.

It does not hurt the car in any way. And the sensor kicking on is not an indication that the vehicle is under abuse. It is a conservative safety feature and all performance shops that deal with lightnings and 03's will be familiar with it.

sn8kbite

Established Member
I had my car at the drag races last saturday and experienced what must have been what yur talking about because i lost all power and the guy i was racing walked away from me,when i looked down at my gauges boost was at 0 so i let completely off the gas and putted to the end of the track and called it a day.
The next day i drov ethe car and the thing worked fine.

FINICKY

Established Member
how bad did you get spanked....is your car stock?

Hammer

Established Member
Re: Abuse valve Bypass

Originally posted by mike69440
Hammer,

Is this photo of the 03, ( http://www.ncs-stl.com/Images/BoostMod.jpg ) is this what JDM did to yours? Can you post a Photo?
Thanks

Mike

PS Got Spanked big time by new ZO6

Hey, Mike. Nope, that photo differs from what Jim did to my car. I will post a photo as soon as I can. Should be by this weekend.

PS: I think you should change that signature. Make it something like, "Not stopping with mods until I hand every Z06 on the road it's ass".

Just a thought. :beer:

david smilovic

Established Member
What kind of Dyno are we using and is it SAE corrected?I have Dynoed 5- 03' Cobras 1 being mine,without snorkel Holley and Borla at 1250 Ft. above sea level we still havent seen more than 369-376 rrwhp.I know at XTREME we are conservative but we do frequent recalibration,where do these 411 rrwhp #'s come from??????
I will run a 1/4 with 4:10's installed on 8/28 and let you know results if I can get to the track Wed. night.On 9/4 it has long tubes,JDM Flip chip 91/104 octane,cattless straight back,Bassani X-pipe (check our prices) and JDM pulley kit will run larger 4 Lb. pulley I dont expect NEAR 500 ponnies maybe after cams and heads I have decided to do piece meal through Sept.
With engine work I would be thrilled to see 500+ HP,according to you guys I should look for 600+ minimum.I dont see that happening without discplacement increase Bore and Stroke and spending time for a real Dyno Tune.
We have had 4:10's/4 Lb. pulley/long tubes/ blow off mechanism/straight back 2 1/2" stanless/no cats/pro 5.0 and so far 427 is the max,a bit rich but almost where you want to be.
If anyone in the PHX> AZ. area knows a tuner other than me I would gladly drive or trailer it to a tuner for a perfect tune specially with these heads and cams.(even though made in house lots of man hours from a Mustang air flow freak and these will flow!!!! I promise you.)
I dont want to burst bubles but until I see 11.70's and time slips to back it up without gears and intake,XPipe,and pulley and chip mod Im just not a believer.SORRY been doing this for 35 years expert in forced air induction I do 25 blowers a month.Dave S.
PS Still havent seen any 500 pony Dyno slips either but I havent looked hard and I'm a newbie.Good Luck Dave S.

david smilovic

Established Member
CARB and Long Tubes

I deal in headers all day long mostly GM but about 20% give or take is FORD and I am loving it more each day.I have not ever seen a CARB legal set of long tubes only shortie,CA. is a pain in the arss.I would suggest running them and finding a performance friendly inspection shop.I sell 100's and install many long tube headers to CARB cars.
I sell Bassani,Borla,Bellanger(working on a monster system hi-quality s low production) TPIS,FLP,TTS,LGM and more I cant think of they will all pass emmissions on the dyno but CA. refuses to certify.If B&B cant do it with state lobbyists I doubt anyone can.
Sounds like a miscomunication error and I hope you all work it out to where all parties are happy.Personally IMHO Keep those pups you have an 85%+ chance of claiming there mid length after all no one except LGM makes a true long tube these days anyhow.Check with your local Ford Stang or SVT club and they will steer you to the right state certified inspector and a 50.00 bill always helps the process.One of my Viper projects with hand made Bellangers got raipped for 250.00 but pulls 41 rrwhp and 36 lbs. of Tqe.If you can afford the Viper ...... and whats a street/strip car without headers,in the worst case swap out for shorties and if I can be of any help or if your Vendor is a B&B distributor that would be my 1st shortie recomendation,you wont loose on the low end but its good on an LS-1 for 13-16 rrwhp and 11-14 Lbft. Tqe.
Good Luck To All Dave S. XTREME Motor Sports.
On the Vette and Fbody forum the vendors try real hard to keep the dirty laundry off the Forum,looks proffesional and its no ones BIZ!!,Dave.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

david smilovic

Established Member
SORRY my navigation is off ,not trying to be in the wrong place at the wrong time but doing a good job.
Regards from a true computer RETARD,and SORRY again,Dave S.

Users who are viewing this thread