5w-50 Engine Oil

BlackenedSVT

The Clown has it out 4 me
Established Member
So I just picked up my 07 GT500 and have it home now for less than a week and figured i'd change the oil tonight after work real fast before we head to the track tomorrow (Island Dragway, NJ). Well after i refill it with some Castrol 5w-30 that I have at work (full synthetic of course)...I notice on the cap that the shelby uses 5w-50.....as the last drop of 5w-30 goes in lol.

Funny thing is when I asked the Ford Parts guy today for the oil filter I asked him what oil to use and he said he didn't know, and to consult the owner's manual. Well thats funny because I'm a BMW parts guy and its your job to know these kind of things....but anyway since i didn't know and didn't have the manual on me I put the standard castrol 5w-30 oil synthetic in the car like I did all my other mustangs....

I can't say I've ever seen a car take 5-50 before, thats pretty thick.

So now obviously i'll be changing the oil again this week to the correct weight, but wondering if it will make a difference at the track tomorrow. I'm thinking not, its a little lighter and i'm not planning on going balls out tomorrow. I'm just going there with some friends and was planning on doing 2 maybe 3 passes throughout the day to get some base-line runs in on a stock car and street tires.

What oil do you guys use in the Shelby's? Full synthetic i presume?

Think the 5w-30 I put in will make a diff at the track at all?

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
That's what you need to do. The oil you have in there now would break down too quickly and not provide adequate protection. Lots of turbo/supercharged cars use that thick (or thicker) of an oil... Do a search on blackstone here too.

Last edited:

BlackenedSVT

Established Member
well the 04 Cobra used 5w20 I think. I always used 5w30 in the terminator. I didn't know the shelby's were 5w50. sheesh thats thick. AND no one carries it.

Looks like I'll have to make a game time call at the track tomorrow. Maybe 1 pass and thats it.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
You can find the Castrol 5w-50 at most Advance stores here in the Southeast.

The weight has to do with 2 things mostly...1) sustained heat 2) They opened up the rod side clearances from my understanding...which you'd want thicker oil.

If you can't find 5-50 anywhere; look for Shell Rotella 5-40 synthetic diesel oil. Great stuff all around as an oil and if you're not banging on the car you'll be ok weight wise; and it definitely won't break down and a lot of the diesel oils will "keep on" getting thicker during overheat conditions (a little more so than most standard oils).

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
do a search for '5w-50 oil' in this forum and you'll find lots of info, like what companies make that weight(not many) and where to find it(good luck, lol).

BlackenedSVT

Established Member
was at Autozone earlier, had no 5w50 at all.
Guess i'll be making a few track passes tomorrow on the 5w30. Maybe 1 or 2. Then changing the oil soon after.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Holy shit dude, your gonna **** up your car. Are you on crack? It says 5w50, sooooo USE 5 FREAKIN 50 and nothing else. Uh, I'm just gonna make a light pass at the track. What is a light pass at the track?????? You're not gonna floor it?!?! IMO it's a forty some odd thousand dollar car w/ a 15k dollar engine. You're absolutely insane if you ask me. I've got a friend like you.

Castrol and Ford motor are the only ones (to my knowlege) that makes our 5w50. Also the car uses a FL-820-S oil filter. You did at least use 6.5 quarts didn't you??????

BlackenedSVT

Established Member
Holy shit dude, your gonna **** up your car. Are you on crack? It says 5w50, sooooo USE 5 FREAKIN 50 and nothing else. Uh, I'm just gonna make a light pass at the track. What is a light pass at the track?????? You're not gonna floor it?!?! IMO it's a forty some odd thousand dollar car w/ a 15k dollar engine. You're absolutely insane if you ask me. I've got a friend like you.

Castrol and Ford motor are the only ones (to my knowlege) that makes our 5w50. Also the car uses a FL-820-S oil filter. You did at least use 6.5 quarts didn't you??????

Crazy like a fox ;)
6.5 quarts? No I used 9 1/2 with a toyota filter :nonono:

BlackenedSVT

Established Member
Its cool I'm not tracking it tomorrow. I'm just messing with you guys :)
But I am spending the morning changing it and going to the track. But watching friends race. I'll be down there next weekend for times.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Then what was the point of this thread?

To ask what we would do so he can go do what he wants.

Since it's summer time and most everywhere is 60+ deg. F ambient at this point, you can probably find some 15-50 Mobil 1 on the shelf. I'd do that or the Shell Rotell 5-40 Synth. before I made a pass on the 30wt. anything.

BlackenedSVT

Established Member
To ask what we would do so he can go do what he wants.

Since it's summer time and most everywhere is 60+ deg. F ambient at this point, you can probably find some 15-50 Mobil 1 on the shelf. I'd do that or the Shell Rotell 5-40 Synth. before I made a pass on the 30wt. anything.

I thought about grabbing some 10w-50 that I saw. Wasn't sure how the viscosity of the 10 or 15w-50 would be in comparison or anything about either vs 5w-30/50, so I didn't touch it.

I did see a few 10w-50 and 15w-50 on the shelves though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread