60' question

Ralo

Established Member
I took my car to the track last night and couldn't do better than 1.8x. The car has a 2.76 upper and was on 26x11.50R16 ET Streets (bias).

Ralo

Established Member
Started the pressure about 18 and ended up 16-17.

Shouldn't it be quicker than that on those tires? Left at 3k and bogged so then started leaving at 5.

2004silvercobra

Established Member
Any suspension work, weight reduction mods etc.. you might get a little better but not much I don't think if all you have is a upper and the rest of the car is stock and heavy, a 1.6 might only happen if track conditions are perfect...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
It's hard to get the hang of launching these cars. I have a 27x11.50x15 and try to launch around 4200. Best 60 on them has been a 1.70 and I'm still looking for more.

Ralo

Established Member
No suspension mods other than cut springs and IRS brace. Not weight reduction other than the spare and jack removed. Maybe I just had my hopes to high

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
No suspension mods other than cut springs and IRS brace. Not weight reduction other than the spare and jack removed. Maybe I just had my hopes to high

Were you spinning at 5K?
With stock suspension you have minimal weight transfer.
Did you disconnect or remove the front sway bar?
Drop the pressure more for a bigger foot print.

Last edited:

Mystic03

Established Member
dont need to hold high rpm to get a good 60..i slip the clutch at 1200-1500rpm and cut 1.6-1.5 60's

r103

Established Member
^ you have more hp tho. I agree with what you're saying there is more to it than high RPM clutch dump. I cut a 1.59 with IRS 2.76 intake exhaust and tune on 26x10.5 et drags. I'd bring RPM's up to 3500 on 3rd bulb floor it while almost simultaneously releasing the clutch. Notice I said releasing not dumping the clutch.

P.S. same setup plus 100 shot cut a 1.52

Mystic03

Established Member
^ you have more hp tho. I agree with what you're saying there is more to it than high RPM clutch dump. I cut a 1.59 with IRS 2.76 intake exhaust and tune on 26x10.5 et drags. I'd bring RPM's up to 3500 on 3rd bulb floor it while almost simultaneously releasing the clutch. Notice I said releasing not dumping the clutch.

P.S. same setup plus 100 shot cut a 1.52

ive cut those numbers on upper only and my kb set up as well and i dont dump the clutch still rockin 10spline and irs...dont wana break anything

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
dont need to hold high rpm to get a good 60..i slip the clutch at 1200-1500rpm and cut 1.6-1.5 60's

but you do wanna hold it higher to get better ET's.. launching harder will get you there quicker.. IF YOU HOOK! ive tried launching at multiple diff rpm's, my car seems to get out decent around 4200! but waiting for new slicks, then gonna try for more.. oh yea and the cooler weather!! lol

Mystic03

Established Member
but you do wanna hold it higher to get better ET's.. launching harder will get you there quicker.. IF YOU HOOK! ive tried launching at multiple diff rpm's, my car seems to get out decent around 4200! but waiting for new slicks, then gonna try for more.. oh yea and the cooler weather!! lol

agreed! but like everyone knows...lower 60...lower the et youll have

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
Try leaving around 3500rpm but only come out maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of the way on the clutch until the car is moving then let off completely and go WOT.

r103

Established Member
Honestly there are so many factors tire pressure, clutch, tires, burnout, track. Without big hp and or tq numbers something needs to slip some. So try lower TP so tires dead hook then try slipping clutch a little.

Tractionless1

Established Member
It's hard to get the hang of launching these cars. I have a 27x11.50x15 and try to launch around 4200. Best 60 on them has been a 1.70 and I'm still looking for more.

I couldn't disagree more. On my 5th pass I pulled a 1.51 60' with the combo listed in post #7 below. After that she drives herself! Prior to that I never drag raced a rear wheel drive car, and hadn't drag raced period in 10 years. The car has a 1.4x in it the way it sits and down the road I can't wait to see it on spray from the dig.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/suspension-modifications-211/872064-drag-set-up.html

Last edited:

2004silvercobra

Established Member
It depends on a lot and every track is different and just because someone can pull a 1.5 60 doesn't mean someone else can at there track.. We have a really good track here but I promise you no one will be hitting a 1.5 here with just a upper only, even a high hp KB had troubles its the 9000ft DA that kills the cars out here... What one person says is totally different unless you have same mods,track and driver would be the only way to accurately compare to others times......

03mustang92

1of154
Established Member
26x11.5-16 mickey t bias ply's here, set at 13 psi, second gear burnout, 5k dump cutting 1.69 60's here

Tractionless1

Established Member
It depends on a lot and every track is different and just because someone can pull a 1.5 60 doesn't mean someone else can at there track.. We have a really good track here but I promise you no one will be hitting a 1.5 here with just a upper only, even a high hp KB had troubles its the 9000ft DA that kills the cars out here... What one person says is totally different unless you have same mods,track and driver would be the only way to accurately compare to others times......

Considering SRA Cobra's with 200 more whp than I, and WAY more experienced drivers were pulling worse 60s (.15+) than I that day, I bet you wouldn't touch my short time at the same track. :coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread