600+ Whp: What clutch are you using?

619Cobra04

Mystic Cobra
Established Member
RXT, softest pedal feel I've felt yet. Ive used center force, then ram power grip, and now the RXT. Amazing hold and super soft. Spent prolly 900$ tho

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I have a spec 3 wish I would have went with the 3+. My next clutch will be a RXT twin disk hands down.....you gotta pay to play, point blank.....

mach1033

Established Member
What didnt you like about the Spec 3+? I ran one for two years and it was one of the best clutches that I have used. Very easy on the leg and it was like cutting through butter with a hot knife.

Native

Established Member
What didnt you like about the Spec 3+? I ran one for two years and it was one of the best clutches that I have used. Very easy on the leg and it was like cutting through butter with a hot knife.

Glad you found a clutch that you like. From my experience, I wasn't impressed. I'm not going to spend a bunch of money on a clutch just because a few other people love it. I'm the one who has to drive the car :beer:

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
OP - get what you want and tell us about it.
I'm running a Spec 3+ and the pedal is no harder than the stock clutch, I'm not sure where guys get that it's so stiff? This is my 1st aftermarket clutch so can only compare to stock. It is a big upgrade over stock, when it grabs you start moving! I went with this set up after researching and talking to people with more experience than me. So far i'm happy with my decision. To each their own, buy what makes you happy.

mach1033

Established Member
Glad you found a clutch that you like. From my experience, I wasn't impressed. I'm not going to spend a bunch of money on a clutch just because a few other people love it. I'm the one who has to drive the car :beer:

I was curious what it was you didnt like? Was it the feel or did it chatter? You didnt specify what it was.

Native

Established Member
I was curious what it was you didnt like? Was it the feel or did it chatter? You didnt specify what it was.

I'm on my second Cobra now and it was worlds away from stock. I drove a 3+ and found it to be incredibly stiff. It had a bit more chatter and was very on or off. Meaning, you couldn't really ease into the clutch once it grabbed it was off to the races. Normally I find this to be a good thing...especially for racing. But I'm looking for a clutch that has a more than average stock feel and be able to handle 600+ whp.

Yes, I understand that no clutch that can handle that much power is going to feel like a stock clutch. I'm looking for the closest thing to it. :rolling:

From what I've read, it sounds like twin disc clutches are the way to go.

(all statements are my humble opinion)

mach1033

Established Member
I'm on my second Cobra now and it was worlds away from stock. I drove a 3+ and found it to be incredibly stiff. It had a bit more chatter and was very on or off. Meaning, you couldn't really ease into the clutch once it grabbed it was off to the races. Normally I find this to be a good thing...especially for racing. But I'm looking for a clutch that has a more than average stock feel and be able to handle 600+ whp.

Yes, I understand that no clutch that can handle that much power is going to feel like a stock clutch. I'm looking for the closest thing to it. :rolling:

From what I've read, it sounds like twin disc clutches are the way to go.

(all statements are my humble opinion)

I just bought the Mcleod twin set up for my car. I hope it wont be a disappointment.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I just bought the Mcleod twin set up for my car. I hope it wont be a disappointment.

if it (rxt) gets installed correctly and theres no hiccups, you will not be disappointed, i guaranty it. this is one of those times in car mods that something actually delivers that too good to be true result

mach1033

Established Member
if it (rxt) gets installed correctly and theres no hiccups, you will not be disappointed, i guaranty it. this is one of those times in car mods that something actually delivers that too good to be true result

Yup it is the rxt along with there lightened flywheel.

stal94gt

Established Member
i will admit the spec 3+ was a pain in the ass when it was new. it took a few passes at the track on slicks dumping the hell out of it to get it to stop chattering. imo it has really soft pedal, softer than stock. alot of stiff peddal problems lie in bad cables, i spray my cables down with motorcycle cable lube (chain wax). this helps a ton with keeping the clutch cable nice and slick. all in all im happy with the spec 3+ but with everyone who runs a twin disk i may try one of those next.

BIGPWR

Established Member
I installed a 26 spline McLeod RXT in my son's 608 RWHP 03 Cobra. The clutch grabs at the top of the pedal and utilizes full pedal stroke to completely engage/disengage, leaving no room for TOB freeplay. Hill starts are terrible! Worst of all, between 1,400 to 1,750 RPM's in 3rd & 4th gear, the clutch resonates an intolerable noise, sounding like a loose exhaust. Two speed shops told me it was due to the lack of a Marcel on the clutch discs. Reinstalling the stock clutch eliminated the noise and proved their point. Tech support at McLeod is awful! Lee is the only one who knows what he's talking about, but he is seldom available and doesn't return phone calls, which leaves you to talk to the lead tech support guy who thinks "a 10 spline input shaft is all you should ever need". For me, McLeod is a one and done, and I'll be ordering a Centerforce DYAD which has dampening for both clutch discs.

Mystic03

Established Member
gona be runnin a ram powergrip HD if i can get his bellhousing off! stay tuned!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread