6r80 in a 03 cobra?

Joyrider564

Established Member
In for updates as well, hopefully there's a solution before my stock T56 craps out haha.

That is my thought as well. I am pretty sure that once a standalone controller has been released, the market for these transmissions is going to go up.

slow_mach

Established Member
Steve, if you're wanting to maybe tackle this, shoot me a message on Facebook (It's Lewis.) We may be able to figure something out. I wouldn't mind being a test dummy for you if you don't have anyone else, including yourself to tackle it.

Joyrider564

Established Member
Same here. I got a cobra sitting in the garage I wouldn't mind having someone use as a test bed.

As for a controller, I know it won't be cheap. I expect to be between 800-1000 bucks with tons of control, like a transbrake and a select a shift.

03Steve

Established Member
It would be expensive and complicated to develop. I can spend a couple hours alone just typing a description of operation. Search "03Steve 6R80" for tech details on how the valvebody works.

The good news is the valvebody is fully electronic. That means limitless shifter possibilites.

CoyoteBrakeTruthTable_zps70f14c29.png

Last edited by a moderator:

03Steve

Established Member
I was just thinking about that. That would be much simpler. The shift solenoids are all variable instead of on/off like the 4R. That would need to be accounted for in some fashion, unless you wanted to operate the transmission with fixed high pressure.

k_kenley

Established Member
I actually did that with the Lentech Strip Terminator 4R70 that I put behind the Termi motor in my 81. I just put 2 toggle switches on the steering wheel that are wired directly to the shift solenoids, and I used the cruise control copper ring that's behind the steering wheel to get power to and from the switches. I've just memorized the solenoid pattern for each gear and shift the car myself, and it's actually fun to drive like that because I control all of the shifting on my own, and Lentech sets the line pressure at a constant rate so I didn't have to worry about that aspect of the trans. I did create an IC circuit that did the same thing with push buttons and it worked in initial testing but I haven't finished it all the way.

I came across this thread because I'm also actually planning to do the same thing in the next couple months with a 6R80, but I'm going to have to revamp the push button circuit for it since it has a few more solenoids than the 4R70, and I don't feel like having 5 toggle switches on my steering wheel...... LOL!!!! The only thing that I'm trying to figure out is where I would have to set the line pressure at since it will have to be set at a constant rate and I'd just deal with the hard shifts like I do with my 4R70.

Last edited:

Joyrider564

Established Member
I was just thinking about that. That would be much simpler. The shift solenoids are all variable instead of on/off like the 4R. That would need to be accounted for in some fashion, unless you wanted to operate the transmission with fixed high pressure.

So that would just give it firm shifts all the time? I wonder how hard it would be to just develop a sequential shifter for it. Need a bit of electronics, but a simple counter would be a good start I guess.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Bauman is working on it. Hope they can offer it for next season.

Today at 7:49 PM 07/20/15

Hello Brian,

You are right about this being a tough nut to crack!

As you can imagine, 6R80 is a very important project to us.
Unfortunately, it has taken us a while just to get our controller
platform ready to support it. Thankfully that work is now complete. In
the next few weeks, we will begin development on the 6R80, and hope to
be done later this year. However, it will be a month or so before we
know more about the timetable involved.

Thank you for your inquiry!

Best Regards,

Karl Baumann
Baumann Electronic Controls, LLC

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member
Bauman is working on it. Hope they can offer it for next season.

Today at 7:49 PM 07/20/15

Hello Brian,

You are right about this being a tough nut to crack!

As you can imagine, 6R80 is a very important project to us.
Unfortunately, it has taken us a while just to get our controller
platform ready to support it. Thankfully that work is now complete. In
the next few weeks, we will begin development on the 6R80, and hope to
be done later this year. However, it will be a month or so before we
know more about the timetable involved.

Thank you for your inquiry!

Best Regards,

Karl Baumann
Baumann Electronic Controls, LLC

This is good news, I'll swap out the T-56 for a 6R80 in a heart beat.

Users who are viewing this thread