6R80 Trouble

Ignotbullet

Established Member
We'll first let me start by saying I am getting very tired of my auto because of the never ending shifting problems. On the street the car will attempt to shit but delay itself and take a good full second to shift and I then loose the race! Second major problem is at the track, after 7 runs down the track the first pass was the only clean shifting one (10.44 at 130) after that it decided to bog or hit rev limiter or shift late. I am getting extremely tired of this crap and any help would be appreciated! Car has spray and is Lund dyno tuned. Thinking of selling it and buying TH400.

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
I've noticed with one tune on my stock car the shift points and pressure wasn't quite right and would hit redline to long and kill power. I would talk to lund about maybe a transmission tune revision. Data log a bit and send that into them. Also would maybe recommend adding in a trans cooler if your gonna drag alot.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Do you datalog at the track? How hot do your trans temps get?

The 6r80 can be tricky to tune sometimes but if there is a mechanical issue your going to be running around in circles if you think its the tune.

If you think there might be an issue, pull the pan and see if there is any material in the pan.

BV600

Established Member
Maybe your problem, Chris told me the 5C wouldn't work well with nitrous it would get loose on the spray. Id give him a call maybe that's your issue? Does it do it off the spray?

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Maybe your problem, Chris told me the 5C wouldn't work well with nitrous it would get loose on the spray. Id give him a call maybe that's your issue? Does it do it off the spray?

I know a few people with the 5c and nitrous. :shrug:

SC2011GT

Til' The Wheels Fall Off
Established Member
Just have to ask, because I've seen it before. Are you holding the AdvanceTrac button down until it completely turns off?

SC2011GT

Til' The Wheels Fall Off
Established Member
Did anyone tune it prior to Lund?

Is the late or delayed shift from 3-4 ?

SC2011GT

Til' The Wheels Fall Off
Established Member
Drop pan off trans and see if there is material collected in bottom.

Do you have logs of passes?

04compgt

Established Member
I have a Circle D 5C with Nitrous and no issues on the converter being too loose. It sounds like it could be a mechanical or tune issue. Maybe try a different tune/tuner and see if that helps, also drop your pan like others have said and check for material, other things most have not mentioned is that the 6R80 is really finicky when it comes to fluid level. Check your fluid level to make sure is correct, if overfilled the trans will not shift right if underfilled it will not shift right either.

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
if the clutches were ate up from the original tune on the car, no tune is going to fix the problem.

We (lund) have these transmissions more dialed in than anyone. More 8 and 9 second factory auto's than anyone out there.

My car and chris' car at mid 8's shift money. Once the clutches are toasted though, your never going to get those crisp shifts.

I will say this, the 5c with a power adder is a loose converter. I'd personally recommend a 2c or 3c. The spray is going to rip out of the whole to start with. There really isn't a need for that much stall.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
Check the fluid level like 04compgt said, then drop the pan. If nothing seems off, its most likely in the tune.

Your 5c will be very good with nitrous. I had a 3c on the bottle and it was not enough converter. Try another tuner, there have been a few occasions where I have helped some one with a lund auto car shift better.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
you should def be logging the car at the track to dial in the shifts as well if you are tapping the limiter

Ignotbullet

Established Member
Thanks guys for all the comments and help but I think I'm going to sell it and buy a 4r70 or TH400. I'm tired of all this tuning which in the end seems like a guessing game. With a manual TH400 I have a trans break and if it miss shifts it my fault lol.

Users who are viewing this thread