750+RWHP and for how long

mrpork

Established Member
How many of you guys are getting 750+ to the rear tires and how long have you had it. I'm getting some work done to my car come spring and I'm starting to hear a lot of horror stories about guys cars blowing up. I plan on doing some road course with her nothing crazy. Want to make sure I'm going in the right direction. My plan is 10%under drive ported S/C possible upper pulley (depends on my tuner what he says). id's1000,massive T/B C&R dual fan H/E and a 170 thermostat. If i'm missing anything that is important please chime in and let me know.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
I would stay away from smaller pulleys. You can make a good amount of power off of bolt on parts without the pulleys. These cars don't have the strongest rods. A good fuel like e85, cai, tb, exhaust, id 1050x (stainless internals for e85) is your best bet for a safe 750rwhp without swapping pulleys. All it takes it one bad tank of pump gas and a high rpm revs and detonation and there goes 15-20k motor.

paluka21

Established Member
I would stay away from smaller pulleys. You can make a good amount of power off of bolt on parts without the pulleys. These cars don't have the strongest rods. A good fuel like e85, cai, tb, exhaust, id 1050x (stainless internals for e85) is your best bet for a safe 750rwhp without swapping pulleys. All it takes it one bad tank of pump gas and a high rpm revs and detonation and there goes 15-20k motor.

It's interesting that you mention this perspective. While it will certainly be more difficult to hit over 700rwhp without upping the boost, I've considered the Kenne Bell Gimme 5 intake with ported elbow, mono blade throttle body, long tube headers, and x pipe to see if this would get me close to 700rwhp.
With an E85 tune I could see it being *close* with a ported blower.
http://www.revanracing.com/products...-system-by-power-by-the-hour-performance.html

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I don't run canned tunes in either car, or over / under drive pulleys.
Tuned for 93 octane.
The 11 has a 2.9, bought new July 2010.
The 14 a 3.4, bought new Sept. 2013, Kooks LT's on both.
As stated in post # 2, who & how it's tuned matters.

mrpork

Established Member

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I plan on doing some road course with her nothing crazy. Want to make sure I'm going in the right direction.

For a road course car, stock 662hp/631tq is more than enough to get you around the track quicker than most cars that will be on the track with you. Other track oriented cars will be lighter, brake quicker, and turn better than your car, but you will "crush" them in the straights and have no problems passing. In standard 20 minute sessions, you will generate a lot of heat in the engine and brakes. You are on the right track with an upgraded heat exchanger and 170* thermostat, and I would replace your brake fluid with good high temp fluid prior to the event. Smooth is fast, and there is nothing smooth about an overdrive pulley and massive throttle body. Save those mods for street/strip action later. After your first track weekend driving your car, you will see that the weaknesses lie in the suspension and lack of tire grip. A weekend at VIR was the most fun I ever had in my car. Good luck!

mrpork

Established Member
For a road course car, stock 662hp/631tq is more than enough to get you around the track quicker than most cars that will be on the track with you. Other track oriented cars will be lighter, brake quicker, and turn better than your car, but you will "crush" them in the straights and have no problems passing. In standard 20 minute sessions, you will generate a lot of heat in the engine and brakes. You are on the right track with an upgraded heat exchanger and 170* thermostat, and I would replace your brake fluid with good high temp fluid prior to the event. Smooth is fast, and there is nothing smooth about an overdrive pulley and massive throttle body. Save those mods for street/strip action later. After your first track weekend driving your car, you will see that the weaknesses lie in the suspension and lack of tire grip. A weekend at VIR was the most fun I ever had in my car. Good luck!
I'm going to stay closer to the house right now. don't have a trailer just yet for the further trips. Going to go too lime rock in conn first, heard it was a good beginner track.

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
Figure out what fuel you'll run first. I wouldnt make 750whp on 91/93... Not enough octane. I was on E85 @ 750 with10% lower and 2.39 upper

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
Both my previous whippled 2010 and current bolt-on 2013 made 750+whp on 93, and I'm not worried about it one bit. For street driving and the occasional highway pull, it should be fine. I wouldn't do extended pulls, like the half mile, on 93 however. I wouldn't trust a mail order tune at that power level though. If I were to do much more racing, I would have a second tune on higher octane to be safe.

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
id go with a 2.5 upper and not a 2.4 if running pump gas....my car made 725/650 wheel on 112 octane fuse unleaded with the 2.4 pulley no lower, 2.5 should put you a touch over 700 and be able to work with pump gas and lower timing. dont let the dyno sheet decide if your making power, take it to the drag strip and find out an et and a mph that will tell you....ive run 9.90 in my car and have a best of 144.6mph in a near full weight 14 with 350+lb driver...its all about setting the car up correctly not just about power. i know lots of cars making 800+ wheel that can run with me down the drag strip and when they see how basic my setup is they are usually quite suprised.

I would do these things
-billet oil pump and crank gear
-complete exhaust with long tube headers
-cai and tune
-tbody
-373 or 390 gears
-suitable drag or RC tires
-shifter (I run MGW Gen2)
-suspension for intended use either drag or RC or somewhere in between
-tune from reputable tuner

I run the factory stock injectors and stock fuel pumps with NO bap and it handles it just fine at 725/650 race tune...i suspect if i was near 750 id have to go injectors and bap, my goal was to take my car as far as i can on as little power as i can...i always figured mid to low 10's 135ish ....to my surprise i managed to get it down to 9.90 and 9.97 at 137 and 140 mph. Im not a RC guy so I always look at things in my setup in terms of 1/4 mile but most of my mods will suit dual purpose and the car drives like its factory stock when i take it on the street for a cruise or to work or wherever..

Users who are viewing this thread