83 in a 65 San Diego, Ca Cost???

tico915007

Established Member
I got pulled over by a CHP for doing 83 in a 65 on I 8, he has me on radar that was the only ticket he got me with. I have a FL Drivers license, I am military and have never received a ticket in California, my last ticket in Florida was June of 2007. Anyways what kind of Fine and penalties am I looking at? Should I get a traffic lawyer or just show up to court?

Thanks in advance

oldmodman

Established Member
If you are allowed to, request traffic school. You will still have to pay the fine but it will not "go on your record" and be visible to insurance companies.

Traffic school can now be done while online. So the uniform of the day would be boxers, a funny hat, and a beer.

Traffic school generally costs an additional 75 bucks or so.

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/traffic-schools.php

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I got pulled over by a CHP for doing 83 in a 65 on I 8, he has me on radar that was the only ticket he got me with. I have a FL Drivers license, I am military and have never received a ticket in California, my last ticket in Florida was June of 2007. Anyways what kind of Fine and penalties am I looking at? Should I get a traffic lawyer or just show up to court?

Thanks in advance

traffic lawyer, help you avoid points and large fine

edit: the above post is a good suggestion also

Last edited:

Cobra03Mach1

Established Member
its going to be a shit ton and fight it with everything you have.

^^^lol... Just show up to court and ask for traffic school. More than likely they will cut your fine in half and grant you traffic school. My girlfriend got a ticket for doing 50 on a 25 construction zone. She pled guilty in court and asked for traffic school. Her fine was cut too $200 instead of $480 and she took the online traffic school course.

Krwy

Established Member
From what I remember, its $200 for the initial speeding violation, then something like $20 for every 1 mph over. Its gonna be a lot! CA is hurting for money. Check ca.dmv.gov and look up your ticket by the citation number and drivers license. They'll give you an amount if the ticket has been added to the system. You can request traffic school online too

tico915007

Established Member
He wasn't giving me any room cops hate military down here especially Navy it was worse in Virginia and it didn't help that I drive an Evo. Thanks for the advice guys court isn't until April 24

whtgt02vert

turned to the darkside.
Established Member
He wasn't giving me any room cops hate military down here especially Navy it was worse in Virginia and it didn't help that I drive an Evo. Thanks for the advice guys court isn't until April 24

My brother was stationed there at 32nd St base and never had any problems with cops there. Obey the laws and you won't have any cops "hating" on you for serving our country.

BTW def driving or lawyer would be your two best options.

EDIT: My bro was living there while he was 20-22 and was driving an 03 Cobra w/Loudmouths so it's not like he was out driving an econo car.

Last edited:

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
My brother was stationed there at 32nd St base and never had any problems with cops there. Obey the laws and you won't have any cops "hating" on you for serving our country.

BTW def driving or lawyer would be your two best options.

EDIT: My bro was living there while he was 20-22 and was driving an 03 Cobra w/Loudmouths so it's not like he was out driving an econo car.

out here if you look at chp work, they will start righting tickets

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
He wasn't giving me any room cops hate military down here especially Navy it was worse in Virginia and it didn't help that I drive an Evo.
After 21 years on active duty I've never experienced a military member hating cop? Hell many of today's law enforcement types are/were former military. In fact I even got out of a ticket BECAUSE I was active duty at one time!

Bottom line is you were speeding and got caught. Being Navy has nothing to do with any of this. Request driving school, pay your fine, and slow down.

U.M.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
After 21 years on active duty I've never experienced a military member hating cop? Hell many of today's law enforcement types are/were former military. In fact I even got out of a ticket BECAUSE I was active duty at one time!

Bottom line is you were speeding and got caught. Being Navy has nothing to do with any of this. Request driving school, pay your fine, and slow down.

U.M.

This is very true. I have a couple of friends that are part of the PD/CHP here in San Diego. All of them are former military.

Good rule of thumb here in San Diego (probably anywhere) is don't stand out. I drive 80 quite a bit. The cobra is my DD, so it's not like I'm not looked at. Key is to stay with traffic. I would say that 8 times out of 10 the traffic is going 80 with me. I've had a cop pass me many times while I was going 75-80 without so much as a look, but I was always with the flow of traffic.

My assumption (this is just from what I've observed), because I take the I8 to the I5 to get to work every day, is that traffic was much slower than what you were driving at and you stood out so he tagged you.

Sorry about the ticket man. I agree with the first response. Go to court and request traffic school. Sadly it wont' get you out of the money, but insurance will stay down.

Good luck :beer:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I never had a problem in San Dog in the almost 8 years I was stationed at 32nd Street.. next time stop impeding the flow of traffic.......

Users who are viewing this thread