83k mile mystic

mifordman

Established Member
Hey all, been a long time since I've been here, Sold my lightning back in 2014 and haven't fine much with cars since then.

I'm looking at a 04 mytic with 83k miles on it, body and interior are stock aside from an aftermarket radio and wheels. The engine has been refreshed, for lack of a better word, with what I'd probably do if I was in the engine. ARP head studs, diamond pistons, 2.76 upper and a few other things.

My question is, does 33k seem like a good price as long as there are no surprises with the car? I'm ok with the price they are asking but there are lower mile cobras for less money available as well, It's a 6 hour drive from me and mystic prices seems to be higher than most other color terminators but the cost difference seems to vary, widely.

PC03GT

Established Member
It depends what it's worth to you, there is a color tax on these car's

mifordman

Established Member
It depends what it's worth to you, there is a color tax on these car's
For sure! I guess I was, in a round about way, asking if that seems like a fair price, as long as the car is clean and there are no major issues.

01yellercobra

Established Member
*Mystichrome. Mystic is the 1996 color.

The price doesn't seem horrible IMO. I paid 21K for mine a few years ago with more miles on it. But there weren't any other couples for sale at the time and it had everything I had planned on doing to the car done already.

I'll say this, unless you really, really want a Mystichrome, look for another color. I've wanted one since they came out in 2004 so I jumped on it when I could.

PC03GT

Established Member
For sure! I guess I was, in a round about way, asking if that seems like a fair price, as long as the car is clean and there are no major issues.
In my opinion it's a little high, but these car's are not going doing down in price anytime soon. Do your due diligence and make sure everything is what it's supposed to be

Kevinbonds

Established Member
I always say, look for the best example you can find, least number of owners. There is a premium with these cars for a good example. I would pay 5-10k more for a car that I knew had 1-2 owners, had a history and documentation. When you are looking at an almost 30-year-old car you cannot be afraid to pull the trigger when the right car comes along. I am telling you from experience, I over analyze and have lost out on good opportunities.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Blown motor, yeah **** that I'd pass
You have no idea what happened to the motor. I'd get more details before being a hard pass.

My car shot a plug out of the head at 23K miles. Fired the car up and had a misfire. popped the hood and found a melted coil and a spark plug with no threads on it. The little metal cap from the plug fell in the cylinder and left a tiny score on the cylinder wall. Guess what that means, full rebuild. Without knowing the cause, I'd be hesitant to just pass right off the bat.

PC03GT

Established Member
You have no idea what happened to the motor. I'd get more details before being a hard pass.

My car shot a plug out of the head at 23K miles. Fired the car up and had a misfire. popped the hood and found a melted coil and a spark plug with no threads on it. The little metal cap from the plug fell in the cylinder and left a tiny score on the cylinder wall. Guess what that means, full rebuild. Without knowing the cause, I'd be hesitant to just pass right off the bat.
But at 33gs, I'd still pass. A few more thousand can get something nicer, unless this thing is immaculate

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
always kills me how everyone is so quick to brag about their built motor but getting the builder's name is like pulling teeth
I had a friend years ago tell me that he had the engine for his 96 Cobra built. I said cool and asked what parts he went with. His response was "all the stuff to handle 1200hp". I said "ok, but what about manufactures?", in case I wanted to copy his build. Never got an answer on that. And then when he bought a bone stock gen 2 Lightning and told me it was a rocket ship compared to his Procharged Cobra I knew why I never got those answers.

Users who are viewing this thread