8th graders dont know who Malcolm X is ??

97greensnake

cUban cRime wAve
Established Member
I'm a sub for MDCPS (miami) and today there was a question on a test that read.. "Pilgrims landed on ____ rock" and i told the student to think about one of Malcolm X's most famous quotes "we didnt land on plymouth rock, plymouth rock landed on us" and the student looked at me and says "malcolm in the middle?".

I didnt think he was serious. but he was...

They are 8th Graders ?! shouldnt they know who he is ??

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
I figured the school systems of today worshipped figures like Malcolm despised figures like Columbus. Guess I was wrong.

tehnick

Inconsiderate Prick
Established Member
8th graders have more important things ahead of them in school, such as skipping class to get high. :idea:

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
instantmassege said:
Not really, who is he anyway?

I bet if you asked 100 white student 8th graders who Malcom X was, maybe 10% would know. There are many many many leaders in this country over the years, the schools don't have time nor the priorities to teach it all.

I could be wrong, but there is .02

instantmassege

LS WHAT?
Established Member
dtheo said:
I bet if you asked 100 white student 8th graders who Malcom X was, maybe 10% would know. There are many many many leaders in this country over the years, the schools don't have time nor the priorities to teach it all.

I could be wrong, but there is .02

Why do you say white students? you think african american students were taught by their parents? Students could have learned about him elsewhere.

97snaketrplB

97greensnake said:
i told the student to think about one of Malcolm X's most famous quotes "we didnt land on plymouth rock, plymouth rock landed on us" and the student looked at me and says "malcolm in the middle?".

"We all love Yoohoo, especially Yoohoo with a little rum"

"What's rum?"

"You don't know what Rum is?"

"Rumplestilskin?"

warcat

Established Member
I'm 32 and I don't know who that is. I think there was a movie or something about him a few years back? Who is he, what did he do? And why is his last name X?

I'm sure some of you will take offense to my above remarks, but I'm actually not kidding. I really don't know.

instantmassege

LS WHAT?
Established Member
warcat said:
I'm 32 and I don't know who that is. I think there was a movie or something about him a few years back? Who is he, what did he do? And why is his last name X?

I'm sure some of you will take offense to my above remarks, but I'm actually not kidding. I really don't know.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

97greensnake

cUban cRime wAve
Established Member
i asked my next class and i got
- a comic book hero
- the best football player ever
- the guy that invented crack ?? (wtf)
- an african american musician

i think learning about Malcolm X and the civil rights movement is ESSENTIAL to anyones education. I think he was as important to the history of this country as Abraham Lincoln or any other large figure.
i just thinks its wrong that these kids know every detail about Jessica Simpon and Kevin Federline's life than have a simple understanding of who MALCOLM X is ....

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
bluevilevo8 said:
"We all love Yoohoo, especially Yoohoo with a little rum"

"What's rum?"

"You don't know what Rum is?"

"Rumplestilskin?"

I'm glad I read this while I was eating, now I get to wipe my monitor off. :lol: :lol: :lol:

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Sad. Very sad. These are our "future leaders" right?

I think more and more public schools are focused on saying that someone passed through their system, than actually educating someone while IN their system.

azgardia

Wanderer
Established Member
carrrnuttt said:

I think more and more public schools are focused on saying that someone passed through their system, than actually educating someone while IN their system.

Up in NYS they teach whats on the test, nothing else not enough time.

PSI87

Banned
Why don't kids know about Malcolm X? Tell me, do they ask questions about Malcolm X on the FCAT? There's your answer right there.

Last edited:

EnglishAdam

Established Member
carrrnuttt said:

Absolutely right. I find it incredible that Americans can be so ignorant of their recent history.
Mind you, in saying that, all your history is comparatively recent. There's what? About 250 years worth? You could cover that in one semester.
Then again, it could be your public school system.
My friends in Houston have 2 daughters aged 14 and 16. They are not stupid but they know nothing. My daughters who are the same age find it virtually impossible to converse with then unless its about Britney Spears or similar. Their lack of general knowledge is truly scary.

Ok cousins, get your schools sorted out :poke:

warcat

Established Member
No comments on my comment?

I guess you thought I was kidding. Doesn't matter. I don't need to know who malcom x or y or z or whatever his name is anyway. Not important to me.

Users who are viewing this thread