8th graders dont know who Malcolm X is ??

Second2last02

Established Member
I was dating a High School teacher last September and her students didn't know anything about Sept 11th. One of here students thought that the French flew the planes.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Please, as if the English school system is any better. The public school next to my private school in London held some of the most barbaric mouth breathers on earth. Leave London and you'll find even more cockeyed and ruddy faced sheep ****ers than you will in Mississippi.

It's easy to say your frame of reference is better when you're attached by rail to a land mass encompassing dozens of different countries and subsequently cultures. That said, it's hard to not find fault with a school system that still determines you go to plumber school if you don't leap to whatever "vowel" level is appropriate. Bit archaic no, ye monarchists?

Personally, I think our lack of historical obsession balances the good and bad. Alot of Europe is perpetually stuck in centuries old squabbles and bitching that hold zero relevance to moving forward, rather than obsessing backward. My preference is that people be taught foundational ideals, rather than focusing on individuals.

Sort out your nation of 55 million alcoholics cousin ;-)

EnglishAdam said:
Absolutely right. I find it incredible that Americans can be so ignorant of their recent history.
Mind you, in saying that, all your history is comparatively recent. There's what? About 250 years worth? You could cover that in one semester.
Then again, it could be your public school system.
My friends in Houston have 2 daughters aged 14 and 16. They are not stupid but they know nothing. My daughters who are the same age find it virtually impossible to converse with then unless its about Britney Spears or similar. Their lack of general knowledge is truly scary.

Ok cousins, get your schools sorted out :poke:

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
What's pathetic, is that I went through school in Oklahoma; one of the WORST school systems in the US, and I know who he is and thought everyone did.
I don't think it makes one stupid for not knowing of Malcolm, just surprising. Especially considering the current idolization of black figures among today's youth. Weird.

Easy

Live Fast Die Fun
Established Member
JD_2001_svt said:
I figured the school systems of today worshipped figures like Malcolm despised figures like Columbus. Guess I was wrong.

they do worship malcolm x, king, ann frank, etc.......from what i remember it was more like columbus was a dumbass thinking he was in asia until he died. but oh well :-D

EnglishAdam

Established Member
Bwa ha ha. Was that a little close to the bone for you?
Absolutely, we have a lot of idiots attending our schools who are incapable of learning but then you kind of lost me with your alcoholic sheep that talk funny at plumbers school (whatever that is) diatribe.
Look mate, that post was not intended as a "my country is better than yours" flame war. I'm just calling it like I see it.
I've lived and worked in the US and I've lived and worked in England. FYI, my mother is English and my father is from NC so I see both sides of the coin.
On the whole, as far as I can see from my experience, the US public school system is slightly more screwed up than the British one as far as the curriculum goes.

97greensnake

cUban cRime wAve
Established Member
JD_2001_svt said:
I don't think it makes one stupid for not knowing of Malcolm, just surprising. Especially considering the current idolization of black figures among today's youth. Weird.

ALOT of these kids walk around this school singing rap songs and claiming to be "GHETTO" but live in good neighborhoods and would sHIT themselves if they ever saw a gun. They not only lack a sense of this countries history but the history of the very thing they claim top be and love. RAP MUSIC. Ive brought up groups like PUBLIC ENEMY, NWA, Ice T. and a few others and these kids have NO idea what im talking about ???

MTV is to blAME!!

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
poopnut2 said:
Malcolm X was a militant asshole. Lesson over.
That's all I know about him, and that there was a movie about him too.

97greensnake

cUban cRime wAve
Established Member
warcat said:
That's what I was thinking. I thought he was a violent killer type, but didn't know for sure.

what ?> violent maybe but not KILLER . dude, Denzel Washington was in this movie called "MALCOLM X" came out in 1992 and directed by Spike Lee. rent it, you wont be dissapointed! i promise

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member
instantmassege said:
Why do you say white students? you think african american students were taught by their parents? Students could have learned about him elsewhere.

I honestly dont white parents take the time to educate their kids about african american heritage. I think its the same the other way around. Yea, you could say they might learn it else where but here in the midwest its not pushed as much in the classrooms. This is how the world is, it is what it is, whether its wrong or not. 1-8th grade is mostly concepts and the basics of society teachings, I'd hope that highschool is more in depth in regards to american history, that is why I said an 8th grader is probably not well informed about Malcom X and his era. Sorry.

youngster

Established Member
im a good student honor roll all my life currently a junior in highschool and honestly never heard that name before i clicked this topic.

warcat

Established Member
Sounds like a great guy. All our kids should learn about him. From those few excerpts Mr. X is a freakin thug. Woohoo, let's all make him out to be something special. I hope in the end of the book/ movie/ his life, he was killed. And had no children.

slowGT2k

Established Member
I saw the movie and still dont know nor care what he did. Honestly it doesnt bother me that i dont know who he is. but what i read on that post. He hates whites? I dont think id what my children learning about hate, Doesnt matter if your white, black, hispanic, or asiain or what ever it is you are, teaching hate will only produce it.

Bullitt995

Will race for food
Established Member
Second2last02 said:
I was dating a High School teacher last September and her students didn't know anything about Sept 11th. One of here students thought that the French flew the planes.

Didn't they?

kasee 03

Menudo Eater
Established Member
PSI87 said:
Why don't kids know about Malcome X? Tell me, do they ask questions about Malcome X on the FCAT? There's your answer right there.

Correct, if it's not tested, it's not taught. Unfortunately, even if it IS in your state curriculum teachers, administrators, superintendents won't care about historical figures much(or anything else for that matter). A school's scores and overall rankings according to state assesment are more important.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Malcolm X might have been a thug in his early years, but I guarantee you, that before he was assassinated, he was more enlightened than most people posting in here, including me.

Note that before he died, he finally saw the light and went AGAINST the militant Nation of Islam, which is why they assassinated him.

It's sad really. Even the black people I know that wear Malcolm X this and that don't know what he really stood for in the end - he was the antithesis of Dr. Martin Luther King in the beginning, but almost became like him at the end - with a rifle (he feared for his and family's life for good reason).

And no, I'm not black. I just choose to learn things.

Users who are viewing this thread