8th graders dont know who Malcolm X is ??

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
Yes, the movie was fantastic. However, any product of Hollywood is going to be of questionable historical accuracy. I've never researched him much to be honest, but I've known what his cause was and what he did since I was probably in 5th grade. I'm only 26 by the way. I truly thought everyone knew of him.

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
97greensnake said:
ALOT of these kids walk around this school singing rap songs and claiming to be "GHETTO" but live in good neighborhoods and would sHIT themselves if they ever saw a gun. They not only lack a sense of this countries history but the history of the very thing they claim top be and love. RAP MUSIC. Ive brought up groups like PUBLIC ENEMY, NWA, Ice T. and a few others and these kids have NO idea what im talking about ???

MTV is to blAME!!

I know! That's always cracked me up. I don't even like rap music but i'm well aware of the history of it. MOST rap songs have samplings (rip offs) from much older songs that these kids aren't even aware of.
These rap "artists" should be thankful though; it's these rich white kids putting them in their Benz's and bling.

1999WhiteSVT

STLMustangs.com
Established Member
JD_2001_svt said:
Yes, the movie was fantastic. However, any product of Hollywood is going to be of questionable historical accuracy.
especially when it is directed by spike lee.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
SVTCobra 97 said:
im 19, and Ive heard of the man, but i dont really know a whole lot what he did.

He hated MLK Jr. first of all. He wanted to pysically fight the white man in order to gain equality. I think I heard somewhere that it's thought that he might have been part of the assasination of Martin Luther King Jr. still. He was the leader of the Black Panthers as well.

He was a dick, and if anything should be taught only to show how big of a dick he was.

Got5onIt

Mean Green Nation
Established Member
Malcolm X had a troubled youth like many young black men of that time period. You guys seem to forget what went on in this country less than 50 years ago. :rollseyes
He was a great speaker and a key cog in the growth of the Nation of Islam in the United States. Malcolm X's popularity grew among the black community because he preached that minorities had a right to fight back. He preached white's had no right to physically or verbally abuse anyone based on skin color. If they did, retaliate in the same manner.
On the other side of the coin, if issues were brought up in a peaceful manner, then they should be handled in a peaceful manner.

His impact would've been greater had the Nation of Islam not murdered him.

And for those people who think he's a dick ---> How would've you reacted if you grew up in his same conditions? He was a direct product of society back then. Who's really to blame?

Dr.King stressed his people to take the higher road and Turn the Other Cheek.
Malcolm X taught his people that things will never change if you don't fight back.

Now which "ideal" do you think would get instant results and see instant gratification? Malcolm X is solidified in history for these very reasons.

Last edited:

Easy

Live Fast Die Fun
Established Member
SVTCobra 97 said:
im 19, and Ive heard of the man, but i dont really know a whole lot what he did.

thats pretty sad that the only thing you know about him is that you've heard his name before. :read:

Luckyeod28

major league infidel
Established Member
Who the hell cares about Malcom X? Why is there nothing else that could be learned? So what, ask the kids if they know any of the other famous RACISTS in American history.

Malcom X was a RACIST.

Luckyeod28

major league infidel
Established Member
What do mean version of history? MLK was a realist who just wanted some equality. Was he perfect, NO but who is? Malcom X wanted to lead a violent revolution against white "devils". How can you even compare the two.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Wow. Some of you guys in here are no worse than the 8th graders that prompted the thread. Here's a quote from his biography:

A new awakening
That same year*, Malcolm went on a pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia. The trip proved life altering. For the first time, Malcolm shared his thoughts and beliefs with different cultures, and found the response to be overwhelmingly positive. When he returned, Malcolm said he had met "blonde-haired, blued-eyed men I could call my brothers." He returned to the United States with a new outlook on integration and a new hope for the future. This time when Malcolm spoke, instead of just preaching to African-Americans, he had a message for all races.

Luckyeod28

major league infidel
Established Member
But most of his message for white "devils" was, either his way or revolution. Kind of like a lot of muslims today, always with war.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Luckyeod28 said:
But most of his message for white "devils" was, either his way or revolution. Kind of like a lot of muslims today, always with war.

Again, with the crap.

This was the message spoon-fed to him by the Nation of Islam (NOI), whom Malcolm eventually denounced as a fraudulent organization after he travelled the world and realized that the NOI was no better than the KKK. The NOI then tried to kill him in many attempts, including firebombing his car.

Think of it as similar to the message that's being spoon fed (incorrectly) to you, whenever you see a militant black asshole wearing his image on a shirt.

Got5onIt

Mean Green Nation
Established Member
PSI87 said:
My understanding is MLK was actually a pretty bad character too. It just depends what version of history you hear.

King had a troubled past like many young black men of that racially intense era. He matured into a great and influential man. By your statement it seems you really don't have an understanding. Read up on him and get the full picture.

Luckyeod28

major league infidel
Established Member
So its crap that he himself kept trying to lead violent demonstrations? Spoon feed me that.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Luckyeod28 said:
So its crap that he himself kept trying to lead violent demonstrations? Spoon feed me that.

Apparently, being in the armpit of NY has spoon-fed you something else. Look up the timelines of when he was a protest-monger and his pilgrimage in 1964, where he got some enlightenment, which you are sorely in need of.

warcat

Established Member
Malcolm shmalcolm, who cares?

It's people like him, and many others, who perpetuate the "I've been wronged" crap that keeps racism alive. Just move on. My kids don't even know the difference between a black person or a white person. All they know is boy or girl. My oldest is going to be 5. I've kept that kinda crap away from them, and I plan to keep on.

But I'd bet good money that most black kids know they are black, and that they have been wronged by the white man. Racism is perpetuated by the black man himself.

Last edited:

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
warcat said:
Malcolm shmalcolm, who cares?

It's people like him, and many others who perpetuate, the "I've been wronged" crap that keeps racism alive. Just move on.

Is moron being taught officially in the schools nowadays? Reading still is, I hope, because my posts that clearly show THAT HE DID, INDEED "MOVE ON" are apparently being treated like the flipping huge mole on your Aunt Martha's nose...you know it's there, but you pretend it isn't.

SnkBtn99

Speeding bullet!!
Established Member
I think he was as important to the history of this country as Abraham Lincoln or any other large figure.

I surely don't think I would ever put these 2 in the same sentance.

Why do you feel he was "just as important"? What the hell did X ever do that was so note worthy?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread