900HP & 1000HP Super Snakes

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Are you serious? No car, NO CAR holds value, maybe your grand kids might get some money back but then you're talking a gem that you didn't enjoy or put miles on.........wow, what fun is that? Buy real estate, in the long run, no comparison.:beer:

I don't agree with this at all. Saying that NO car holds value is just stupid.. Look at original 427's GT350's GT500's etc. Hell look at the Boss 302's or even original fastback mustangs.. They bring the money man.. He is right a well maintained SS will bring money not for a long time but it will.. I can promise you that. Once the old man dies you will the price of 427's GT350's and GT500's sell for even more than what they are now. You can't compare houses to cars either. Completely separate. I'm really not trying to sound like a dick but your statement is incorrect. Cars can and do bring money. It's just holding on to them and keeping them in good condition that is the problem.

zex-srt10

Established Member
Just wait until the 'Ol Coot dies, then we'll see who's laughing all the way to the bank...Those registered Super Smakes, the one's left stock and not abused at the strip/track, will bring a fortune someday.

Now, anyone who buys one of them with the intent of beating the crap out of it at the strip/track, yeah, they're either dumb or just rollin' in cash.

I bought mine with the intent to race it and beat on it. I think it is cooler to race a car that most people keep stock and spend all day washing. I did the same thing with my Z06 two years ago when i put a auto in it just to drag it.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I don't agree with this at all. Saying that NO car holds value is just stupid.. Look at original 427's GT350's GT500's etc. Hell look at the Boss 302's or even original fastback mustangs.. They bring the money man.. He is right a well maintained SS will bring money not for a long time but it will.. I can promise you that. Once the old man dies you will the price of 427's GT350's and GT500's sell for even more than what they are now. You can't compare houses to cars either. Completely separate. I'm really not trying to sound like a dick but your statement is incorrect. Cars can and do bring money. It's just holding on to them and keeping them in good condition that is the problem.

And the GREAT thing about owning a car that maintains its value and sells for more at sale time, the time of ownership can be enjoyed, unlike a stock, bond, t-bill etc. <<No enjoyment there, no touch, smell, enjoy, spin tires, etc., just a number somewhere in a portfolio.<<WOW that sounds like Real Fun.......

A wise buyer (and wise is the key word) can easily own a collector car, enjoy it during ownership and make a profit, sometimes a quite large profit at sale time. Again, the key word, "wise".

You have to do your homework and it really helps to have followed the collector car market for many years to build a knowledge base on what is "hot" and what is "not".<<<This changes too, you have to be wise and also know what to look for, and also what you are looking at on a specific collector car.

So am I reading this Team Shelby thread correctly, the 3.6LC upgrade that I bought for my Super Snake, the one shown in my avatar, is a 800 RWHP blower? not 800 flywheel horsepower?

R

Last edited:

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Just wait until the 'Ol Coot dies, then we'll see who's laughing all the way to the bank...Those registered Super Smakes, the one's left stock and not abused at the strip/track, will bring a fortune someday.

Now, anyone who buys one of them with the intent of beating the crap out of it at the strip/track, yeah, they're either dumb or just rollin' in cash.

The bitching started when the 2003 Cobras came out with a $34.7 sticker. Seems like some people just caint be satisfied with the greatest muscle car period ever.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
What 'owned' ?? You're dreaming, I have 325's and they don't hook......what are 305 street tires going to do?? Oh wait, maybe they'll put on DR's or slicks from Shelby for this 'street' car. Wake up buddy

You don't need grip on the street because street racing is illegal.

You think your tires would do any better on a vette?

WP64

I Couldn't Care Less...
Established Member
I bought mine with the intent to race it and beat on it. I think it is cooler to race a car that most people keep stock and spend all day washing. I did the same thing with my Z06 two years ago when i put a auto in it just to drag it.

I'm respect your decision and was in line myself (#22) for the first run of Super Snakes but went a different direction and had Griggs build-up my GT500 for open track, hill climb and TT duty with the knowledge that I wouldn't be keeping the car for more then 5 years. I'm very pleased with my decision and it appears you are happy with yours :beer:

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
So am I reading this Team Shelby thread correctly, the 3.6LC upgrade that I bought for my Super Snake, the one shown in my avatar, is a 800 RWHP blower? not 800 flywheel horsepower?

R

When the 3.6L is used on the 900 hp SS, they make 800rwhp. It looks like the other differences in the cams, valvetrain and headers and tune make up the extra 100hp.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Well here's a twist. First and foremost no rear wheel car over the 600+ mark weighing 2 tons is going anywhere. Has for being worth something all the cars will be relics in 20 years. By that time gas guzzlers will be a thing of the past. Most everything will be hybrids anyway. Will be sad to have a car that you never enjoyed and still have no value. I'm going to grab a few gears and remember the times I had in the Shelby and not keep it in some sort of time vault hoping it will be worth something one day

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
When the 3.6L is used on the 900 hp SS, they make 800rwhp. It looks like the other differences in the cams, valvetrain and headers and tune make up the extra 100hp.

Wow!! I thought my 725 was getting a 75 h.p. upgrade when moving from the 2.8H to the 3.6LC............It sounds like it is a much bigger jump than 75 h.p. :pepper::banana:

R

Last edited:

F8L SN8K

Established Member

I think what he was referring to cars gaining value instantly. The old cars that you see going for "Big" money these days also took a large depreciation hit. The current collector car buyer is why these cars go for the amount they do. Its not strictly a numbers game or how popular the car was new. The current market demands are what drives pricing. Buying a car in hopes that it will make money is a LOT like playing the lottery. Some people win but MOST do not and lose money. So to lessen risk you must buy a car that is already gaining value. BUT then your ROI(Return on Investement) is greatly deminshed. The only 2 cars I can think of that the owners were able to sell the cars for more then what they bought them for almost instantly and that was the Enzo(because of having to be invited to buy one which killed supply to the people that demanded them) and the Mighty MAC. Maclaren F1 that is simply the most pure supercar that its legend can not be denied. Even the cars that have great returns are actually have mediocre ROI when compared to other items in terms of investing. Doing the math a person would have been much MUCH better off taking the money spent on buying a Boss 302 in 69/70 and putting it in Roth IRA/Mutual Fund. Mind you thats based on a car we KNOW its worth now.

And the GREAT thing about owning a car that maintains its value and sells for more at sale time, the time of ownership can be enjoyed, unlike a stock, bond, t-bill etc. <<No enjoyment there, no touch, smell, enjoy, spin tires, etc., just a number somewhere in a portfolio.<<WOW that sounds like Real Fun.......

A wise buyer (and wise is the key word) can easily own a collector car, enjoy it during ownership and make a profit, sometimes a quite large profit at sale time. Again, the key word, "wise".

You have to do your homework and it really helps to have followed the collector car market for many years to build a knowledge base on what is "hot" and what is "not".<<<This changes too, you have to be wise and also know what to look for, and also what you are looking at on a specific collector car.

R

I agree with you partially on enjoying the cars because its physical and emotional attachment we has Americans develop for our cars. That Emotional attachment is actually what gives the cars the power to go up in value. Now the way I enjoy cars is to drive them when I feel like, race them at the track and modify them to my liking. All of the things I do to enjoy cars destroys the value of them. To me its not fun to drive the cars to and from car shows and let sit covered in the garage to sit in it and clean. BUT that is just me and how I view automobles. To me if I'm trying to have fun with making money on investments I actually would like to invest into something that is greatly making me money with a much better ROI. Make money to the best of your abilty and buy ANYTHING car you want to enjoy it ANYWAY you want and not scared about getting a scratch on you money maker. Cars are not investments. They are Hobbies and necessities. Some cars do have a ROI but they are the exceptions not the rule. Regardless of whos name is on them. Todays youth will be the buyers at the Auction blocks(and Barrett Jackson is hyped and not true market value for most) in 40 years. What are the cars they(mass) are currently drooling over but can't afford?

R1Lello

Established Member
You don't need grip on the street because street racing is illegal.

You think your tires would do any better on a vette?

Ah......hello, did you miss the whole point of this thread? 900-1000 for what reason, it's being sold as a street car.......so you can spin at 90 mph and bounce off telephone poles?? Hello

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
hello, did you miss the whole point of this thread? 900-1000 for what reason, it's being sold as a street car.......so you can spin at 90 mph and bounce off telephone poles?? Hello[/QUOTE]

So true. Yes it takes skilled drivers to control these cars but I think that is just ricdilious. Hell you can barely keep them straight at stock levels. Cars are nothing but dyno queens. I see no purpose in owning one at all. Not to knock it but for being practical it's not. What can you really do with it besides nail the gas and play guard rail pinball

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
hello, did you miss the whole point of this thread? 900-1000 for what reason, it's being sold as a street car.......so you can spin at 90 mph and bounce off telephone poles?? Hello

So true. Yes it takes skilled drivers to control these cars but I think that is just ricdilious. Hell you can barely keep them straight at stock levels. Cars are nothing but dyno queens. I see no purpose in owning one at all. Not to knock it but for being practical it's not. What can you really do with it besides nail the gas and play guard rail pinball[/QUOTE]

-----------------------------------------------------

But you have to admit that it is nice to control the right pedal and pin yourself back in the seat (almost to eye bleeding acceleration levels) while not quite getting to the pinball stage. In todays world of ever growing horse power, what really is practical? A new Mustang GT will do most anything that the performance enthusiast needs, but there are those who want more, beyond what the factory offers, even at the 550 level.

At these higher horse power levels, there are some who respect the power and carefully enjoy it, and then there are the ones who are stupid.

R

Last edited:

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
So true. Yes it takes skilled drivers to control these cars but I think that is just ricdilious. Hell you can barely keep them straight at stock levels. Cars are nothing but dyno queens. I see no purpose in owning one at all. Not to knock it but for being practical it's not. What can you really do with it besides nail the gas and play guard rail pinball

But you have to admit that it is nice to control the right pedal and pin yourself back in the seat (almost to eye bleeding acceleration levels) while not quite getting to the pinball stage. In todays world of ever growing horse power, what really is practical? A new Mustang GT will do most anything that the performance enthusiast needs, but there are those who want more, beyond what the factory offers, even at the 550 level.

At these higher horse power levels, there are some who respect the power and carefully enjoy it, and then there are the ones who are stupid.

R[/QUOTE]

Agree- If you don't display respect then one will get hurt!

I love the fact that one can purchase a high horsepower car and have fun with it.

For me-spinning the tires at 80+ in my vette is priceless........

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member

R

Agree- If you don't display respect then one will get hurt!

I love the fact that one can purchase a high horsepower car and have fun with it.

For me-spinning the tires at 80+ in my vette is priceless........[/QUOTE]

--------------------------------------------------

I don't mind a controlled spin at lower speeds, but I really enjoy taking the car just to the point of spinning, but not quite. At this point of power exhibition, a 550 horse car is not going to give the same thrill as a 725 horse car, or 800, or 900. As the power goes up, the thrill also goes up, that is if you enjoy performance in an automobile. It is just a fact of life.......

R

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
The bitching started when the 2003 Cobras came out with a $34.7 sticker. Seems like some people just caint be satisfied with the greatest muscle car period ever.

AMEN...To that this is the best muscle cars time of all. From all the big 3. Just take a look at the HP line up from all 3. Be gratefull this won"t last forever. Im driving and keeping my Shelby forever , if I can. This car is a lifetime keeper ....maybe Ill pass it down to my brothers kids.

Users who are viewing this thread