91 GT Open Track Build

91GriggsGT

Established Member
haha, no, I guess not. I wanted to get a few things done, and it kinda snowballed from there. The suspension was pretty rough to begin with and I figured instead of doing things twice, sack up, spend some money and do it right. Body wise, it will stay the way it is. At least I can run it on the track once the mechanical is done. Appearance will be later.

Vinyl

Your HIDs blind others
Established Member
haha, no, I guess not. I wanted to get a few things done, and it kinda snowballed from there. The suspension was pretty rough to begin with and I figured instead of doing things twice, sack up, spend some money and do it right. Body wise, it will stay the way it is. At least I can run it on the track once the mechanical is done. Appearance will be later.

Good idea about the body. Plus later on you may run to run flares and would need to paint them anyways.

I'm starting a similar pile of parts here to do it all at once like you did. :-D

91GriggsGT

Established Member
Yeah, looking at probably using some fiberglass flares to begin, and eventyually move to carbon fiber ones. For now, just going to cut the fenders to get the clearance I need up front.

What are you starting to build?

Vinyl

Your HIDs blind others
Established Member
Yeah, looking at probably using some fiberglass flares to begin, and eventyually move to carbon fiber ones. For now, just going to cut the fenders to get the clearance I need up front.

What are you starting to build?

My sixth 99-04 GT. This time a Saleen. :rockon:

I didn't even know they made carbon flares for the Mustang! The only place I know of for flares is Maier Racing. Are there others?

91GriggsGT

Established Member
Very nice! The carbon fiber ones for the front are actually the whole fender, but you can get carbon fiber flares for the back.

Vinyl

Your HIDs blind others
Established Member
And who makes those carbon parts?

I wonder if they make any 99-04 parts.

91GriggsGT

Established Member
Chicane23

This is who I deal with for almost all of my parts. He also sells the fiberglass and carbon fiber fenders and flares, and I think it is thru tiger racing if i am not mistaken. I know the guy from Tiger Racing was at Hallett during the Mid America Shelby meet and we were talking to him about making dive planes for the fox bodies.

tntcobra

Established Member
A friend of mine built his own flares. He runs 275/40/17s with no issues. He built a custom template once he had the wheels & tires.

Projects click on the '88 GT pictures pages to get an idea of what was involved.

91GriggsGT

Established Member
Well, it's been awhile since I updated this thread. Seems money goes out a lot quicker then it comes in when doing a project like this. Here is a list just off the top of my head of things that have been done, and still needing to be done:

Fluidyne 2 row aluminum radiator
Canton 2qt Expansion Tank
Edelbrock Performer RPM 2 lower (and soon to be upper as well)
BBK Fuel Pressure Regulator
Painless wiring harness
Relocated the p/s pump
Shorty headers
MM Steering shaft
BBK Off Road X-Pipe
Relocated the battery
Edelbrock 70MM Throttle Body
Steeda EGR eliminator bracket
SN95 Cobra Steering rack
Griggs K-Member
Griggs SN95 Heavy Duty Lower Control Arms
Koni D/A Coil Over Front
Cobra Front Disc brakes
Cobra Rear Disc brakes
5-lug Conversion
Ford 8.8 with 3.73 gears and 31-Spline Torsen T2R diff
Moser 31-Spline rear axles
ARP wheel studs all the way around
Seam Welded the interior and painted interior
MGW Short Throw Shifter
MM Clutch adjuster
MM Quadrant
MM Caster/Camber plates

Here is some I still have to install:

Agent 47 front brake cooling kit
Griggs World Challenge Rear suspension / Watts Link
Koni Coil Over rears
Multiple guages
Dash

Here are some pics:

Working on the wiring
DSCN1334.gif

More wiring inside plus inside is seam welded and painted

DSCN1338.gif

Driver Side torque box cut out

DSCN1339.gif

Passenger side torque box still needs cut out

DSCN1340.gif

Prep work for ducting in radiator

DSCN1345.gif

Rear End just waiting for suspension

DSCN1346.gif

Rear suspension Griggs World Challenge Watts Link with Koni Coil Overs

DSCN1342.gif

Thats all I have for now. Lots of tedious stuff right now, but hopefully will have pics of the rear supension installed and maybe sitting on the ground by the end of the year.

Last edited:

91GriggsGT

Established Member
Wow, can't believe its been almost 6 months since I updated this post. Where has the time gone?? Well, in the last 3 weeks, MAJOR head way was made on this project of mine. I went from working on a car sitting on jack stands, to actually starting it and hearing the car run!! I do apologize for not updating more frequently so I will try a little harder.

Here are some progress pictures thru the last few months:

Driver side floor pan cut for inner subframes

DSCN1351.gif

Bulkhead stiffener tacked in place waiting for final weld in

DSCN1353.gif

Passenger side

DSCN1354.gif

Both sides

DSCN1356.gif

Now here is a big jump. Sorry I don't have more pictures of the actuall rear end install, but it is kind of hard to stop and grab the camera when you get on a roll and are making really fast progress.

DSCN1357.gif

DSCN1359.gif

Griggs Watts Link

DSCN1369.gif

DSCN1370.gif

DSCN1373.gif

DSCN1372.gif

Quick shot of inside. I know it looks rough, but thats the idea. I wanted to get all the wiring roughed in and make sure it is working before the final " snip and crimp" if you will.

DSCN1368.gif

Engine bay - Again roughed in

DSCN1377.gif

DSCN1364.gif

And finally, here are a few shot of the car ACTUALLY OUTSIDE in almost a year :

DSCN1362.gif

DSCN1360.gif

DSCN1367.gif

Ok, now before anyone asks " Why the hell do you have PVC pipe on the car??", basically that is my redneck radiator. I didn't want to hook a $400 Fluidyne radiator up and send a bunch of debris thru it, so, the redneck radiator. Made it ALOT easier to flush everything out of the motor, which surprisingly, was very clean to begin with. Better safe than sorry I guess.

Anyway, that is all I got for now. If I have time today, I will clean up the inside a little more and snap some pics of the completed inner subframes.

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
Also, If any body repair folks stop by, I could use some advice on how to fix this:

DSCN1245.gif

DSCN1278.gif

I guess one of the previous owners had the cowl hood fly up and put some nice damage on this piece. :bash:

Any ideas????

i had a fox back in the day... the body shop pulld it out with a slide hammer

91GriggsGT

Established Member
i had a fox back in the day... the body shop pulld it out with a slide hammer

Yeah, I am leaning towards having someone look at this. I have seen all kinds of posts about using a scissor jack, deflated basketball / football, and even drilling all the spot welds and replacing the cowl from a donor car. If it was a little banged up, I might look at some of the easier fixes, but this cowl got pretty hammered and may require more than my current auto body knowledge can handle.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Absolutely bad ass! I want to something similar with a notch when I have the money to do a project, though I want to keep it street legal for some canyon carving goodness!

Users who are viewing this thread