91 GT Open Track Build

91GriggsGT

Established Member
Those were a bitch. Between a die grinder, cut-off wheel, hammer, body saw and multiple cuts from sheet metal and more than just a few choice words......It wasn't a day at the beach. Actually, if i would have been able to work on it non stop it would have been probably 5 days, a week at the most.

It did take some effort to beat some metal into submission. I had already welded the undercar subframes so it was a little more difficult for the inners. Then with the bulkhead stiffiners and all the welding, I got probably a month minimum into those suckers.

But, now that I have done one, the next will probably be a little smoother going.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
It performed well above my expectations. I was a little easy on it the first time just because I did not have any time to work thru any bugs or issues, but now that I know what needs to be worked on, the next time out I will push it a lot harder.

I couldnt be happier with the Griggs suspension. Money well spent.

That's great news. I'm used to being on the other side. lol
Spend alot of money, blood sweat, etc and still let down. lol

Any issues with brake/power steering fluid boiling?

Last edited:

91GriggsGT

Established Member
No issues with brake fluid boiling. Running Motul RBF600. No brake fade or mushy brakes. I do need to work on the lines a little I think. Not sure I was getting real even wear.

As far as power steering, I am running the stock pump, line, and cooler, but put on a 3.8 liter p/s pulley. Just plain cheap O'Reilly fluid, but next time out, I am going to flush and run Redline.

91GriggsGT

Established Member
Well, I took this thing out again finally. Ran the 3.1 CCW at Motor Sports Ranch in Cresson TX. The bugs I encountered the first time out seemed to have been corrected. No noises or vibrations that were out of the ordinary.

Here is a short video. I did not push the car anywhere near its limits. I know it has a lot more to give, just trying to find the limits.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJr61FJkywI"]YouTube - MSR 3.1.wmv[/nomedia]

steeda21

Mr. T
Established Member
That hood looks so awesome!! Looks absolutely perfect man. Should do some Maier racing wide fenders and you could do 335s with some ccws all around lol

Amazongt

AKA maxstang AKA max97v6
Established Member
All the hard work paid off it looks like. Your fab/welding skills are amazing. Something I wish I knew how to do a bit better. That video got me all giddy too. Hopefully mine will be ready to get out there next year.

91GriggsGT

Established Member
Well, it has been a while, thought i had better update this. Finally got the car painted and back on track. I went down to Texas World Speedway this past weekend, and the car did not disappoint one bit!!

IMG_5856.gif

IMG_5860.gif

IMG_5862.gif

DSCN0005.gif

DSCN0006.gif

DSCN0007.gif

DSCN0009.gif

Still working on some in-car videos. Will hopefully get a couple posted up in the next day or 3.

96Blacksunshine

Established Member
Car looks great! I was at TWS this weekend also. I believe I have a few pics of this car leaving the staging area. Ill post them up if you want me to.

91GriggsGT

Established Member
That would be awesome! We were so busy I did not get a chance to have anyone take pics and I don't think the photo people were at the track last weekend.

MysticKhobra

Established Member
The front end looks awesome! Where did you get that chin spoiler for the car? If I ever get another fox body I would love for it to look like that regardless if it was a track car or not. Why is that the front wheels stick out so far like that? I love it, keep up the good work!!

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
What a great build, thanks for sharing! I've been toying with the idea of selling my Bullitt and building a fox for auto-x racing and just getting something else for a DD....hmmm....

91GriggsGT

Established Member
The front end looks awesome! Where did you get that chin spoiler for the car? If I ever get another fox body I would love for it to look like that regardless if it was a track car or not. Why is that the front wheels stick out so far like that? I love it, keep up the good work!!

Actually, the "chin spoiler" is a piece of garage door base plate that you can pick up at Lowes.

As for the wheels sticking out, I am running just around -3.0 camber since it is still a strut suspension up front. If it was an SLA, it would be closer to -1.0ish and not as noticeable. Basically, improves cornering.

MysticKhobra

Established Member
Very interesting, so theoretically any fox with that much camber will stick out like that or is it a combination of camber and control arm setup. -3.0 is a little much for a streetcar but looks sick, makes me want to sell my cobra and do another fox body.

91GriggsGT

Established Member
Very interesting, so theoretically any fox with that much camber will stick out like that or is it a combination of camber and control arm setup. -3.0 is a little much for a streetcar but looks sick, makes me want to sell my cobra and do another fox body.

Yeah, -3.0 will be really noticeable. The front track is also wider than stock because the K-member, A-Arms, Coilovers, spindles, tires, etc.

Probably would not run this on the street, although I have seen some out there running that much camber, but you start looking at tire wear too.

The most street this car sees is going to the track while loaded on a trailer.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Really nice build! You did a great job both selecting and installing the parts you got. Quality stuff!:rockon::beer:

I saw you at TWS too... at least I think I did. LOL
I was only there on Saturday spectating. I do remember seeing your number.
Quite a few Foxes out there that day.
I saw that one of the instructor Fox cars had an agent 47 front end on it!:eek:

Had I seen this thread prior to going there, I would have come over and said hi.

What run group did you run in?
Have you scaled and corner weighted the car yet?
How did the total weight turn out?

How is the front pad wear now that you are getting faster in it?
Are you starting to get pad taper or no?

Users who are viewing this thread