91 GT Open Track Build

91GriggsGT

Established Member
Thanks for the kind words. This definately has been a fun project and like all cars, it will never be "completely" done. Always something you can do. Hopefully in 3 weeks when I get back from work I will get everything tied up other than body and paint, but you don't need paint to go fast.

And fordracer, I definately agree with canyon carving. One of the best is Wolf Creek. Drove that MANY times and love it.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
totally sick!! I should have Griggs watts link by the end of the summer!! i'm super excited!! congrats man and sick ass build!!

Bullitt634

Established Member
This is a SICK build. Congrats on getting so much done. Just curious...you gonna be running that choked down stock MAF? Otherwise, can't wait to see more pics (especially the tedious wiring ones). Thanks.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
that rear end is SOOOOO BAD@$$ as is the entire build. Wonderful craftsmanship!!

91GriggsGT

Established Member
This is a SICK build. Congrats on getting so much done. Just curious...you gonna be running that choked down stock MAF? Otherwise, can't wait to see more pics (especially the tedious wiring ones). Thanks.

For now, it is the stock MAF. As soon as I can get everything squared and the car a little more on the "finished" side, I will swap out the stock MAF. But for now, it starts and runs so I can move it around the shop.

91GriggsGT

Established Member
that rear end is SOOOOO BAD@$$ as is the entire build. Wonderful craftsmanship!!

Thanks for the compliment. One thing I pride myself on is my vehicles, no matter what it is. If I am going to spend money, especially this kind of money, I will spend it once, do the job right, and not cut corners.

Granted, there have been times I was so frustrated with the car that I just wanted to throw everything in and say screw it, but I got a brother that is just like me and just as meticulous and won't let me cut corners either. One thing I have learned from this build is not all cars are the same from the factory, and not all aftermarket parts fit all cars perfectly. So, you have to improvise, fabricate and adapt.

So far, the car is coming together nicely and should turn out pretty good. Most of the big stuff is done, now all little stuff and the details.

I will get some more pics up in 3 weeks when I get back home and start working on it again. By then, my hood should be there, as well as some little odds and ends. I will also try and get some more detailed pics of some of the other installed goodies.

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
Yeah, I am leaning towards having someone look at this. I have seen all kinds of posts about using a scissor jack, deflated basketball / football, and even drilling all the spot welds and replacing the cowl from a donor car. If it was a little banged up, I might look at some of the easier fixes, but this cowl got pretty hammered and may require more than my current auto body knowledge can handle.

yea i was going to drill it out and get a cowl form a donor car too.

body shop said no need, they did use a scissor jack to get it startd they pulled the rest out with the slide hammer,

took them a day... got it back the same day:rockon:

91GriggsGT

Established Member
Figured I would post up some updates. Making some progress now over the last couple months. Hopefully, the majority of the car is going to be done ( if there is such a thing) this weekend. Hopefully.

End of the weekend I will hopefully have some more completion pics.

Working on the wiring

DSCN1379.gif

DSCN1380.gif

DSCN1388.gif

DSCN1391.gif

Few more pics of suspension and inside.

DSCN1393.gif

DSCN1394.gif

DSCN1396.gif

DSCN1399.gif

DSCN1403.gif

DSCN1409.gif

DSCN1415.gif

And finally starting on the cage.

DSCN1416.gif

DSCN1417.gif

Main hoop bent

DSCN1418.gif

DSCN1419.gif

And just a quick front shot. Cervinis heat extractor hood and Tiger Racing carbon fiber front fenders.

DSCN1420.gif

91GriggsGT

Established Member
Well, the car isn't completely finished, but finished enough to run an event. First event was in Cresson TX at Motorsports Ranch on June 19th. Car was awesome. Found some things to work on before the next event and a few bugs to work out, but overall, I was very impressed. Here are a few final build pics and some completion pics.

Took little over a year of blood, sweat, tears and just a few 4 letter words, but worth it.

Enjoy

DSCN1421.gif

DSCN1424.gif

DSCN1426.gif

DSCN1427.gif

And here are some completion shots.

DSCN1429.gif

DSCN1435.gif

DSCN1436.gif

DSCN1437.gif

DSCN1439.gif

DSCN1449.gif

DSCN1455.gif

DSCN1452.gif

I wont clutter up too much more of the post. Here is the link to the full album if you want to check out all the pics.

91 Griggs GT Build pictures by medic246 - Photobucket

91GriggsGT

Established Member
Very cool. Did it perform as good as you planned?

It performed well above my expectations. I was a little easy on it the first time just because I did not have any time to work thru any bugs or issues, but now that I know what needs to be worked on, the next time out I will push it a lot harder.

I couldnt be happier with the Griggs suspension. Money well spent.

91GriggsGT

Established Member
Right now I am just doing open track (HPDE) events. Plan is to run ST2 class. Car was built following NASA/AI specs for the most part. Granted, right now it probably wouldn't pass tech, but only would need to do a few odds and ends to get thru tech.

Will stay with the HPDEs for awhile, then go for my competition license in a few years....maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread