94 Cobra w/ 2.1L Kenne Bell on the Dyno!

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I finally had the opportunity to run my Cobra on the dyno since installing my 2.1L Kenne Bell kit a few months ago and I am VERY pleased with the results!

CLICK on the pulls for the videos!

Run 1: 320 rwhp / 355 rwtq
Run 2: 321 rwhp / 356 rwtq
Run 3: 320 rwhp / 349 rwtq

I'm amazed that all three runs were so consistent given the nature of the non-intercooled KB to heat soak. I'm running 6#'s of boost on a stock fuel system with a 75mm throttle body, off-brand CAI, off-road H-pipe and a Flowmaster catback. Stock motor, untuned. We only pulled the car to about 5,200 RPM's because it started to lean out at the top so there was still even more power left on the table.

For comparison, my first '94 Cobra had all the same bolt-ons as my current one and in addition aftermarket headers, just no Kenne Bell. It put down a best of 250 rwhp / 295 rwtq. With the blower that's a +70hp & a +60tq gain.

I picked the kit up for $1,800 second-hand off of a Corral member and suffice it to say it was the best bolt-on I could have possibly purchased for the money :banana:

GcQP2j6.jpg

IMG_7294_zps7edb246e.jpg

IMG_7295_zps318b60c8.jpg

WPRJgzb.jpg

photo credit to TonyUMD

Last edited:

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
Those are some great numbers! If I hadnt bought my 4V Cobra, I would've slapped a blowzilla on my 94. Just dont split the block. lol

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Very nice!

I would suggest to upgrade the MAF, injectors and pump if not already in the plans.

Last edited:

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Those are some great numbers! If I hadnt bought my 4V Cobra, I would've slapped a blowzilla on my 94. Just dont split the block. lol

Thank you! I don't intend to run any higher than 9# with the stock bottom end but for now I'm content with the numbers and I will focus on improving other areas of the car before I go further with the power.

Very nice!

I would suggest to upgrade the MAF, injectors and pump if not already in the plans.

Thanks man. I do currently have a set of 42# injectors sitting in a box. Eventually I'll pick up a MAF and a pump to run higher boost but at that point I would also have to get a tune so the money starts to really add up. I'm going to keep it this way for a while.

How did you get by with no tune? I guess the 4v are different?

They may be. Kenne Bell provides an FMU with my kit which increases the pressure of the stock injectors. It's specifically designed to be used on a stock fuel system, untuned. All I needed after installing the kit was a narrowband to see that when I'm in boost the gauge was in the green. What's great is the car drives like stock, idles like a baby and rips when I open it up.

KoBra_98

TT04 98KoBra 70Boss302
Established Member
How did you get by with no tune? I guess the 4v are different?

actually if you use the kb kit for the 4v , it also comes with a chip with a canned tune and the fmu also. I know 2 people that have the 4v kit and run it as it came and it runs like stock and idles perfect. of course they are all on the stock 6 to 8 psi pulleys too. if you ditch the fmu and run bigger inj and a lightning maf then you def need a tuner. the 4v kit also includes a boost a pump too. just FYI. back on thread, nice numbers for 6 psi!

Last edited:

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
actually if you use the kb kit for the 4v , it also comes with a chip with a canned tune and the fmu also. I know 2 people that have the 4v kit and run it as it came and it runs like stock and idles perfect. of course they are all on the stock 6 to 8 psi pulleys too. if you ditch the fmu and run bigger inj and a lightning maf then you def need a tuner. the 4v kit also includes a boost a pump too. just FYI. back on thread, nice numbers for 6 psi!

Thanks for the input. Even with 5.0L Kenne Bell recommends just the use of their BAP for up to 10#'s they don't recommend going higher on a stock block so I may go that route with a 9# pulley. And yeah I was very pleased with the numbers considering that I would have paid a lot more money to do heads, cam and an intake and I'm making the same if not more power on my setup. The dyno operator was impressed at how much power I was making with a bone stock motor.

BLK93GT

Established Member
Nice man!!! I am an old school Kenne Bell guy, I ran 11's with a 1.5L year ago on a 91 GT(friend's car I built and drove)

90mm L MAF and 42lbers with a 340lph pump and good tune would be perfect! Don LaSota would be the guy to talk to about a tune. I used a Kenne Bell chip back then due to lack of options.

The torque is awesome as is the instant boost. 9lbs is totally fine with a good tune and supporting fuel.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member

Thank you!!

I would deff do a heads cam intake setup and step that blower up to 10-12 psi :)

Nice man!!! I am an old school Kenne Bell guy, I ran 11's with a 1.5L year ago on a 91 GT(friend's car I built and drove)

90mm L MAF and 42lbers with a 340lph pump and good tune would be perfect! Don LaSota would be the guy to talk to about a tune. I used a Kenne Bell chip back then due to lack of options.

The torque is awesome as is the instant boost. 9lbs is totally fine with a good tune and supporting fuel.

Thanks for the input guys! I actually found a lot of helpful information on LaSota's website that I used when installing the Kenne Bell. The setup you mentioned is exactly what I'm planning to do I already have the injectors sitting in a box. All it is right now is time and money. I'm a full-time worker and a full-time college student and unfortunately I live in an apartment which means I can only do the basic work myself on my car. Otherwise I would install the heads and a cam myself but I don't have the means to do so.

My goal is to reach 400rwhp safely and make it a nice riding street car with some sticky tires.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
Thank you!!

Thanks for the input guys! I actually found a lot of helpful information on LaSota's website that I used when installing the Kenne Bell. The setup you mentioned is exactly what I'm planning to do I already have the injectors sitting in a box. All it is right now is time and money. I'm a full-time worker and a full-time college student and unfortunately I live in an apartment which means I can only do the basic work myself on my car. Otherwise I would install the heads and a cam myself but I don't have the means to do so.

My goal is to reach 400rwhp safely and make it a nice riding street car with some sticky tires.

I hear you im in the same boat, the problem with that blower is they make low power numbers and heat soak due to only having a 1.5,1.7 and 2.1 kb for blowers on 5.0 pushrods, they seem to make alot of torque and not matching horsepower, so I would say heads cam setup on 6-9 psi should make around 400-450rwp you might squeak out 475-500rwhp on 10 -12 psi, but problem is seems thats the most your going to make is 400-450 max with kb pushrod setup..

Somebody needs to make a adapter for the newer larger intercooled tvs, kb 2.4 or 2.6 size blowers or a 2.3 whipple blower for are pushrod cars I want to do a tvs blower on my 95 5.0 :) :banana:

Last edited:

BLK93GT

Established Member
I hear you im in the same boat, the problem with that blower is they make low power numbers and heat soak due to only having a 1.5,1.7 and 2.1 kb for blowers on 5.0 pushrods, they seem to make alot of torque and not matching horsepower, so I would say heads cam setup on 6-9 psi should make around 400-450rwp you might squeak out 475-500rwhp on 10 -12 psi, but problem is seems thats the most your going to make is 400-450 max with kb pushrod setup..

Somebody needs to make a adapter for the newer larger intercooled tvs, kb 2.4 or 2.6 size blowers or a 2.3 whipple blower for are pushrod cars I want to do a tvs blower on my 95 5.0 :) :banana:

With heads/cam and ported lower you can get maybe 450rwhp if you have a perfect setup. Most have usually been in the high 380-390hp wise. If you want a dyno queen a Kennel Bell pushrod setup is not a good choice. You have to look at the average hp and area under the curve.

With Edelbrock heads/1.7 rockers/Holley Systemax 1 lower and supporting fuel mods at 7lbs boost my friend's car made 346/384 to the wheels. It was probably a little heat soaked. I ran it at the track with 10-11lbs and ran 11.75@119, this was back in 2002 and using the 1.5L that didn't even have a bypass.

Most guys do custom air to air setups there is a huge thread on corral.net about them. That makes a huge difference bit a lot of work. You can't an inter cooler setup any other way unless you wanted to have a 8" cowl hood and custom an intake/intercooler to sit under the sc.

Btw someone has installed a 2.6 I believe but did it air to air.

Last edited:

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
With heads/cam and ported lower you can get maybe 450rwhp if you have a perfect setup. Most have usually been in the high 380-390hp wise. If you want a dyno queen a Kennel Bell pushrod setup is not a good choice. You have to look at the average hp and area under the curve.

With Edelbrock heads/1.7 rockers/Holley Systemax 1 lower and supporting fuel mods at 7lbs boost my friend's car made 346/384 to the wheels. It was probably a little heat soaked. I ran it at the track with 10-11lbs and ran 11.75@119, this was back in 2002 and using the 1.5L that didn't even have a bypass.

Most guys do custom air to air setups there is a huge thread on corral.net about them. That makes a huge difference bit a lot of work. You can't an inter cooler setup any other way unless you wanted to have a 8" cowl hood and custom an intake/intercooler to sit under the sc.

Btw someone has installed a 2.6 I believe but did it air to air.

Nice thanks for the info, If i do a kb I want a 500+rwhp setup, so I would need to deff do a custom intercooler and a larger blower im sure maybe a 2.2 or 2.4,2.6 size kb I wonder if you can use the vortech or porcharger intercooler front mount with them ...hmmmm

BLK93GT

Established Member
Nice thanks for the info, If i do a kb I want a 500+rwhp setup, so I would need to deff do a custom intercooler and a larger blower im sure maybe a 2.2 or 2.4,2.6 size kb I wonder if you can use the vortech or porcharger intercooler front mount with them ...hmmmm

It is a lot of fab work for sure as you have to modify the sc inlet and outlet. The 1st guy to do it actually did it on a 95 Cobra and made some good power. Here is the link to corral.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/mem...-bell-fox-air-air-intercooler-build-list.html

KBintercooler051.jpg

Last edited:

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
hmm looks like the super coupe 3.8 liter eaton m90 setup with all the pipeing, one thing is for sure kb setups are ugly on are pushrod cars to long of blower snout and looks out of place compared to on the mod motor cars!

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
I've been following 92rohcp's thread on Corral for a while now. I had actually spoken with him a few months ago about shipping my blower out to have him do the cutting and welding but it's a bit out of my price point at this time.

Users who are viewing this thread