95 R Battery dying

Jason95R

Established Member
Hey Guys,

I have 95 R that doesn't get much seat time. I replaced the battery in the fall of 2016 with a Motorcraft. (didn't have the original battery when I bought the car) I have a trickle charger hooked to the battery when I'm not driving the car.

Last night I was going to go to a local show/cruise and get in to start the car and nothing. Barely even a click. I tried to jump it with my Chevy Tahoe and still nothing. It seemed to crank over about a half a turn and then nothing again.

Any idea as to why this would happen? Maybe just bad luck and a bad battery from the factory? I'm sure the battery will be replaced by Ford under warranty but it's still pretty frustrating.

What do all of you do for cars that don't get driven all that often? I thought the trickle charger would solve this problem but it hasn't. Should I look into getting one of the twisting quick disconnect knobs instead and just disconnect and let it sit when not in use?

Thanks in advance.

nmp1

Established Member
I keep my cars on a battery tender with no issues.

I doubt there is enough of a drain somewhere that the trickle couldn't keep up so it's probably either a bad battery or the charger is not working correctly.

TFStang

Established Member
You may just have a bad battery...not unheard of. If you replace it and it happens again, then I would replace the trickle charger as well. If that doesn't work, obviously there is something else going on. You could always just disconnect the battery if the car is sitting for any duration.

Jason95R

Established Member
Thanks guys. I'm going to go to the local dealer and have them replace the battery. Like I said it's less than a year old. I'll see how that goes and then if it dies again I'll buy a new trickle charger.

If those aren't the problem then I will have to start back at square 1.

Thanks again.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Fortunately, the 95s shouldn't be draining the battery if off. As mentioned, no alarm? Otherwise, all comments are spot on.

Tom

Jason95R

Established Member
No aftermarket alarm. Can't think of anything else that would be draining it. I haven't had a chance to get to the dealer and replace the battery yet. Hopefully I can get there tomorrow or Thursday and will know more then.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread