'95 "R" Fuel tank replacement

brianz426

Established Member
Bret,
Rings went out via UPS ground to Glenn on Monday. They are scheduled to be delivered by the end of day Friday 7/20/12. PM sent

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Bret, I had some vehicle logistics issues so the shipment got pushed back until this morning. Before packing I removed the bladder/foam and my spare cell didn't have the fuel level sending and pump units. Total pieces shipped was the canister, straps, and all rings/fittings.

bret a ewing

Established Member
Todd and Brian, great job.
I'll give Glenn a couple of days to look it over, he should then have a good idea as to the fabrication, time line and price.
Thanks a bunch guys.

Best, Bret.

n2fords2003

Established Member
Todd or Bret, I talked with Glenn today to see where he is at because I got a car I cant drive due to the fuel leak. He said he could have a tank made within a week but he is waiting for someone (maybe on of you two) to send him the pump and assembly. Is anyone aware of this?

Also he is contemplating doing a 04 cobra type sump and the factory or aftermarket hats will work with it. He says this type of sump working real well and he uses it for the road race guys he builds custom tanks for. This seems like a good idea to push. For the purest, it would be in the top of the tank and no one would ever know.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Not sure what you are talking about on the 04 sump but the R cell has a sump built into the bladder with one-way ball valves. Was this going to have a provision for inserting foam? Or, at least rigid baffling internally to help with sloshing?

Tom

bret a ewing

Established Member
Hi Tom,

Yes, there will be baffles and a sump area around the pump.
2nford - I sent Glenn hi-res pictures of the pump breather, sump area of the cell and the level float. He said he would let me know if he wanted the pump itself, I just picked up the QD removal tool to get the lines off.
Best, Bret.

n2fords2003

Established Member
Hi Tom,

Yes, there will be baffles and a sump area around the pump.
2nford - I sent Glenn hi-res pictures of the pump breather, sump area of the cell and the level float. He said he would let me know if he wanted the pump itself, I just picked up the QD removal tool to get the lines off.
Best, Bret.

Bret, Gleen told me that the pictures would not be enough and had already requested the pump from you. Thats what he is waiting on.

I understand that there are baffles in the 95 tank. Glenn was just saying that he believed that the 03/04 cobra baffle and pumps where a better setup and that they could be used in his tank instead of the 95r design.

I only called Glenn to get an idea of time. Im not sticking my head in on design. I will take whatever. But on the backside if Glenn tells me that on my tank I can have the 03/04 sump and baffle then Im going that route.

brianz426

Established Member
Todd or Bret, I talked with Glenn today to see where he is at because I got a car I cant drive due to the fuel leak. He said he could have a tank made within a week but he is waiting for someone (maybe on of you two) to send him the pump and assembly. Is anyone aware of this?

Also he is contemplating doing a 04 cobra type sump and the factory or aftermarket hats will work with it. He says this type of sump working real well and he uses it for the road race guys he builds custom tanks for. This seems like a good idea to push. For the purest, it would be in the top of the tank and no one would ever know.

Guys,
I looked through all my spares, I do not have a pump and assembly I could send. Currently my car is running and driving with it's originals.

bret a ewing

Established Member
No worries Brian, Glenn called me yesterday evening, I will be sending him my pump today.

Best, Bret.

Last edited:

bret a ewing

Established Member
Update.........called Glenn yesterday afternoon.

The tank design has been cad-cammed-documented for future use. Currently, the guys in the shop are cutting the pieces for the tank and will start welding monday.

Glenn said a working model should be ready by Tuesdayish.

Now would be the time to alert fellow '95 R owners who may be interested in this type of replacement tank.
I will ask Glenn to post pictures here on SVT, of the final product........in his spare time;-):)

Best, Bret.

bret a ewing

Established Member
Here are some pictures of the completed tank. I think it looks pretty sweet.

IMG_000220Small.jpg

IMG_000120Small.jpg

IMG_001720Small.jpg

Last edited:

bret a ewing

Established Member
I talked to glenn, he quoted the price at $669 plus shipping which I belive is very reasonable, especially when compared to replacing a fuel cell.
Todd will get the first and I will get the second tank, it looks like it takes about a day or two build them. I will let you all know how the install goes, I will ask Todd to do the same.

Best, Bret.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Well done

Im in, and I know of 2 others that are likely in. your efforts are appreiciated, and hope the install goes smooth, and I will be buying one. Dont plan to install untill I have to, but will have it on the shelf for when I have to.

Im sure you will, but let us know how the install goes...

Any chance the 00 will be done as well??

bret a ewing

Established Member
Im in, and I know of 2 others that are likely in. your efforts are appreiciated, and hope the install goes smooth, and I will be buying one. Dont plan to install untill I have to, but will have it on the shelf for when I have to.

Im sure you will, but let us know how the install goes...

Any chance the 00 will be done as well??

Will do.

......and yes, I'm sure Glenn will be able to construct an "00 tank, he will need a blank cell and all the attachments for the operation.

Best, Bret.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
That looks great!

The 00R tank is the same other than the front, lower edge has a 45* angle to clear the IRS.

Tom

n2fords2003

Established Member
I got the third one. Paid last week and shipping is estimated to be the end of this next week. Ive been unable to drive my car for months

svtguy

Established Member
That looks great!

The 00R tank is the same other than the front, lower edge has a 45* angle to clear the IRS.

Tom

The tank as a few differences over the 95R tank. Here a pic of the 00R tank.

Paul

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
The tank as a few differences over the 95R tank. Here a pic of the 00R tank.

Paul

Who built that tank?

The 00R cell I had was identical to my 95R tank other than the front edge. This one has a relocated float location forward and an oblong vent plug at the top. It does have the front edge angled.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread