96-98 Cobra vs 99/01 Cobra vs. 03/04 Mach1

mach1dsg

Established Member
redrooster said:
I think this is true. The 96-98 heads have the best flow #s of all the heads but lack the low speed velocity=torque. I know for a fact that Aaron Archer was running 96-98 heads on his car and was the fastest supercharged mod in the world at one time.

i know there is a chart floating around the net showing the flow ratio of almost every ford head. 03 cobra heads are the ones that flow the best, i think they beat the 96-98 and 99/01 cobra ones, stock vs modded ones.

there has to be another reason, maybe cams????

JSHTROD

Established Member
mach1dsg said:
i know there is a chart floating around the net showing the flow ratio of almost every ford head. 03 cobra heads are the ones that flow the best, i think they beat the 96-98 and 99/01 cobra ones, stock vs modded ones.

there has to be another reason, maybe cams????

The 96-98's undoubtedly flow more air. With two intake ports for every cyl, the tumble port heads cannot dream to flow as much.

This is why in all out race big boost/applications they chose the 96-98 heads.

In under 8000rpm or huge boost applicatios, the tumble ports are MUCH better.

Jason

mach1dsg

Established Member
JSHTROD said:
The 96-98's undoubtedly flow more air. With two intake ports for every cyl, the tumble port heads cannot dream to flow as much.

This is why in all out race big boost/applications they chose the 96-98 heads.

In under 8000rpm or huge boost applicatios, the tumble ports are MUCH better.

Jason

i found this chart, yes, they flow better than the 99 and i guess better than the 01 cobras, also better than the one in 05 gt

138_0406_flow_chart_z.jpg

i'm going to try to find one showing the 03 cobra heads.

Last edited:

mach1dsg

Established Member
Jason, i'm sure the 96-98 heads are not the best ones, they're good, but they're not flow as well as the ones in the 03/04 mach1 - 03/04 cobra.

i'm still trying to find that post, in the meantime here is something for you to read from modularperformance.com

"The biggest differences between a 96-98 Cobra and a '03 Mach 1 (I hate the magazines for making the comparison because driveline wise it's not even close) are that the earlier model uses the twin port B head in conjunction with it's own long runner intake equipped with IMRCs. These are not the best N/A heads because of their excess intake port volume, and the fact that fuel only cleans the primary port not the secondary--which can and will clog with carbon after as little as 8k miles, hindering flow.
The '03 Machs have what is essentially a convoluted 99/01 Cobra intake (lose the shaker and gain some HP) atop '03 DOHC heads whch are an improved/higher quality casted 99 style tumble port head. The 03/04 heads feature a slightly larger (177cc vs. 160cc) intake port than the FR500 heads they seemed to have been patterned after, save the FR500s dry exhaust port vs. the '03/04s wet port, and the short turns are much improved from the factory. The 03/04 exhaust port is absolutely huge compared to previous years. For comparisons sake, the 03/04 exhaust port begins where a stage II ported 99/01, 96-98, Navi (they all share the same small exhaust port) ends. I've heard numbers approaching 250 cfm @ .500" lift on the exhaust after a decent port wth stock exhaust valves.
The 3.55 gear helps a little vs. the previous years 3.27s, and though the Navi intake cam helps midrange it kind of hinders top end. Though again, not as much as the intake. The slight compression increase is almost negligible at .15+ in the Mach's favor too. The 03/04 heads are the best mod heads this side of the '00R/'05GTs."

Last edited:

cobra2798

I have no car
Established Member
Quatrocky said:
Very nice info. There's a magazine article i have where there is a 2001 Cobra Vs a 2002 Camaro SS. They dynoe'd both of the cars and the Cobra put down 240 rwhp, what a joke. The SS put down like 268 rwhp. Heres the link.

http://www.stangbangers.com/01_CobraVsCamaroSS_Article.htm
WOW! Im glad i didnt buy that 01' cobra, that thing is a dog or was running on 6 cylinders when they did that dyno :( Ive never seen one that bad! Mine put down 46 more rwhp bone stock that car was a joke!

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
So what should an owner of a 96-98 like me do to improve flow? I really like the body style, but don't want to shred the engine to change things. Not to mention that the modular engines are kinda intimidating to me, since I am just a parts swapper at best.

Interspy24

Established Member
Hersheyman said:
So what should an owner of a 96-98 like me do to improve flow? I really like the body style, but don't want to shred the engine to change things. Not to mention that the modular engines are kinda intimidating to me, since I am just a parts swapper at best.

With your current mods, I'd do as follows:

1. Step up to 4:30 gears (There's a reason we all have them)
2. Get longtubes and an o/r pipe
3. Tune

After that, it's just how fast you want to go and if your wallet agrees...

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
umachme said:
Like the new Stang! I just read that for $2100 in mods they got the '05 to run a 12.45 - I would like to see that! Man thats great for the mustang world! Not so much for all these "keep up with the jones" people though.

If a mach can't run mid 12's with $2100 worth of mods.....the builder needs to close his business. Or the owner of the mach needs to learn how to mod. ;)

JSHTROD

Established Member
Interspy24 said:
With your current mods, I'd do as follows:

1. Step up to 4:30 gears (There's a reason we all have them)
2. Get longtubes and an o/r pipe
3. Tune

After that, it's just how fast you want to go and if your wallet agrees...

I'd add underdrive pulleys to that list.

:rolling:

mach1dsg

Established Member
Hersheyman said:

don't worry about the flow of your heads just know.
like the other guys told you, get 4.30's, LT's, O/R x Pipe, Pulleys and a tune. you would drive a totally different beast after this mods.
later on if you decided to get crazy, get the S/C, cams,ported heads and such.
but for now, you have cheaper options, and guaranted, your car would run 12's providing you don't burn the crap out of your tires, so, add dr's at least to the list :)

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Last edited:

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I do plan to get an X-pipe w/cats (want to keep it legal) but haven't decided between Magnaflow or Bassani. I really liked the Magna X I had on my 5.0, but I hear they hang really low on SN95 Cobras. I might go 4.10's instead of 3.73's I was planning. I am building more of a road course car verses a drag strip car. I hear the Steeda pullies are the best cause they are replacement instead of piggyback style. After all that add a tune and I should be in the 12's???
mach1dsg said:
don't worry about the flow of your heads just know.
like the other guys told you, get 4.30's, LT's, O/R x Pipe, Pulleys and a tune. you would drive a totally different beast after this mods.
later on if you decided to get crazy, get the S/C, cams,ported heads and such.
but for now, you have cheaper options, and guaranted, your car would run 12's providing you don't burn the crap out of your tires, so, add dr's at least to the list :)

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Interspy24

Established Member
Hersheyman said:
I do plan to get an X-pipe w/cats (want to keep it legal) but haven't decided between Magnaflow or Bassani. I really liked the Magna X I had on my 5.0, but I hear they hang really low on SN95 Cobras. I might go 4.10's instead of 3.73's I was planning. I am building more of a road course car verses a drag strip car. I hear the Steeda pullies are the best cause they are replacement instead of piggyback style. After all that add a tune and I should be in the 12's???

I used a upr o/r x-pipe because I got a killer deal on it. Unless you're worried about polluting, get the o/r pipe. We don't have emissions or any testing here in Oklahoma. :coolman:

We can't stress it enough man, don't fear the gear. 4.30's are perfect for a n/a car. Most guys with 4.10's wish they had gone more. I was putting most of my mods on the car to also have it as a open track car. It's even easier because I could leave it in third for the majority of the events I went to and it did fine. You're really not shifting that much more, just more torque multiplication. :)

Steeda pullies are fine, paired with your cai and an o/r pipe (longtubes if you have the money) you should feel a good increase.

mach1dsg

Established Member
Hersheyman said:

follow what interspy told you, if you don't need to pass emissons,just go with an off road x pipe. since 96-98 cobras peak higher in the powrband, 4.30's would be an excellent gear. i never trusted the gears before, until i drove my friend 03 gt this past sunday. he has LT's, mac or h pipe, crapmaster 40 series, cai, diablo predator and 4.30's. this cars pulls like crazy, and it doesn't go to 6800rpms like our engines, so, i could only imagine our cars with such gears, now i know why people say don't fear the gear, i'll go with 4.30's as soon as i have the money ,trust us, gears makes wonder on this cars :thumbsup:
yep, you would run 12's with those mods, just remember about the tires, trust me, you would eat the stockers within a month :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread