96 Cobra Sway Bars

xTomKx

Established Member
Are Cobra swaybars different than GT swaybars? Is it worth to upgrade to the eibach swaybars?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
They are definitely better than the GT bars.
I had to remove my rear, so now I need to replace it with one that doesn't mount in the stock location and doesn't cost $300!

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I think they're bigger around. Not necessarily better, but more solid. In my MMFF magazine they have a purple 95 GT that they road race. They switch sway bars with the track conditions, but they mostly use the thinner of their two sway bars IIRC.

This is coming from somebody that doesn't even run a front swaybar- I have my fun at the strip.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I think they're bigger around. Not necessarily better, but more solid.

Mustang Anti-sway Bars

Inside this link you'll find the following quote at the bottom of the page.

"Conclusions: The 27mm Cobra bar sway bar has about 2.4 times the stiffness of a 21mm V6 sway bar and about 1.8 times the stiffness of a 24mm GT sway bar. "

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
if one of the sway bars is missing... like the rear like mine lol.. just get the eibach ones. Theyr a little better and stiffer then the stockers.. but i mean for $150 bucks off tirerack... cant really beat it for a quick replacement..

xTomKx

Established Member
So it looks as

Eibach swaybars

Front: 35mm tn Rear: 25mm sn

Stock:

96-1998 29mm (1.14") 27mm (1.06")

There might be some differences in materials used for both bars and whether they are hollow or solid. But it looks like the Eibach sway bars will make the cobra understeer more than stock.

Last edited:

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
There might be some differences in materials used for both bars and whether they are hollow or solid. But it looks like the Eibach sway bars will make the cobra understeer more than stock.

Not necessarily, the stiffer front bar will keep the body from rolling as much and generating positive camber which is a main contributing factor to understeer. Depending on what spring rates you are at and how much static negative camber you are running up front, a stiffer front bar may or may not induce understeer, but typically a bigger front bar will help more that it hurts with understeer issues because our camber curve needs all the help it can get.

Last edited:

07stuntin6r

Established Member
Reviving old thread.....so is it worth while to upgrade the sway bars on a 96-98 cobra? Or just use the money on LCA, Panhard bar tq arm setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ForcFed93

Established Member
Do everything else first then use sway bars to tune the handling. If you understeer, get a stiffer rear, if you oversteer, get a softer one.

xTomKx

Established Member
Long time since I created this thread. Since then I upgraded the swaybars to Eibach along with the rest of the suspension. Eibach springs, tokico shocks, LCA, UCA, etc. Car handled very well for what it is. Minimal sway in the turns and very predictable.

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
Wow old thread lol. But im not mad about it haha

I had/have eibach ones. The rear is removed and doesnt fit now so the MM adjustable one will be going in its place soon. The front remains Eibach for now and probably will.

Nice find on the list of Ciottis old videos. That would be my car in a few of those. Along with my parents garage at the time for the open exhaust one lol.

He currently resides in Atlanta. He makes alot of videos with drones now.

Users who are viewing this thread