97 cobra air filter

ghoyt87

Established Member
Hey All,

I just picked up a stock 97 cobra. First power mod I would like to make is the air intake. I want to keep the strut tower brace on so I was thinking about keeping the stock intake tube and getting a high flow filter on there. My question to you all is what is the best filter/product for what I am looking for???

thanks in advance

oh and yes, I did a search just wasn't having much luck.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
A K&N will do the job. Good thinking, I haven't added a CAI to mine but from past mustangs they don't do much besides look nice. Welcome and post pictures of it asap!

98fourvalve

Established Member
A K&N will do the job. Good thinking, I haven't added a CAI to mine but from past mustangs they don't do much besides look nice. Welcome and post pictures of it asap!

This OP. You're on the right track going the stock w/filter route. Though I'm not going to lie I wish American Muscle had a cheap CAI for our cars. Damn you oval TB! Anyway!

Post pics ASAP

ghoyt87

Established Member
does the length of the filter matter? I have noticed that some people seem to have shorter filters and others are longer in length

here is a teaser pic for ya...

DSCN1125.jpg

AMWill

Hey All,

I just picked up a stock 97 cobra. First power mod I would like to make is the air intake. I want to keep the strut tower brace on so I was thinking about keeping the stock intake tube and getting a high flow filter on there. My question to you all is what is the best filter/product for what I am looking for???

thanks in advance

oh and yes, I did a search just wasn't having much luck.

ghoyt87,

Congrats on picking up a Cobra! Now for the modding to begin... We do have a K&N filer for 96-01 Cobra's if you're interested in replacing the filter. It's not a bad mod for a few hp and easy on the wallet.

If you have any questions just let me know. Good luck with your new ride too!

Shane

ghoyt87

Established Member
Thanks Shane, I was actually planning on ordering from you all. we will be in contact soon

Noreast

Established Member
Holy shittttt 7k miles!!! There's a 9k miles one here on long island !! I'm running a c&l cold air bc I liked the silver tube lol and it fit under the strut bar but damn too expensive

ghoyt87

Established Member
is there really any gain in changing the stock air tube? does C&L make a product equivalent to the K&N link i posted...

dutch

LOL Europe
Established Member
No, stock tube is fine and NA_SVT pointed out many times. Just a drop-in K&N is perfect. My car came with a C&L and huge filter, and it ran stronger and smoother when I switched back to stock.

SVT CAMR

Established Member
is there really any gain in changing the stock air tube? does C&L make a product equivalent to the K&N link i posted...

Not really. The only way I believe one would see a gain is if they were drag racing and shifting in the upper RPM range with a short runner intake. Even then it would be so so small. I have no track data to back this up but have dynoed the car with stock set up and upgraded filter to all out 4" rai and saw no change at all for better or worse. Save your money for other helpful mods. Best bang for the bucks will forever be the mid pipe and a short runner along with suspension, tires and a short throw and gears. I think we can all agree on that when staying N/A. Sub frame connectors are not to be taken lightly either.

AMWill

Thanks Shane, I was actually planning on ordering from you all. we will be in contact soon

ghoyt87,

No problem! If you don't already have our SVTP forum discount, shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up. Our forum discount is for members with 50+ posts on the forum, like yourself.

Again, if there's anything else I can do just give me a shout!

Shane

Cobra_Kid

Established Member
Not really. The only way I believe one would see a gain is if they were drag racing and shifting in the upper RPM range with a short runner intake. Even then it would be so so small. I have no track data to back this up but have dynoed the car with stock set up and upgraded filter to all out 4" rai and saw no change at all for better or worse. Save your money for other helpful mods. Best bang for the bucks will forever be the mid pipe and a short runner along with suspension, tires and a short throw and gears. I think we can all agree on that when staying N/A. Sub frame connectors are not to be taken lightly either.

Perfectly stated.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread