99/01 Cobra dyno numbers?? LIGHT bolt on

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
There are a lot of variables involved. SAE or Standard correction, when and how the dyno itself was calibrated and what type of dyno. My one buddy's 01 Cobra dyno'd 21 whp lower than it did on the same exact dyno 4 months earlier just because the shop recalibrated the thing. You really don't see many '99 or '01's going much past 300 whp with just bolt-ons. If you want to go past that you are looking at LT's, cams, port & polish or some sort of power adder.

Dynos are great for tuning and nut-swinging but other than that the real power test is your 1/4 mile trap speeds.
I agree....and I stated that in the thread....he made no mention of any type of correction factors at all. My comment was CAI, MID, CB, TUNE and STD MAYBE 311 rwhp.
Here is some ref with dyno sheets.

My car, BEFORE the fix put down like 254RWHP, after the fix it did a stout 290RWHP, then added some welded Flowmasters (keeping the after fix pipes) and pulled 301RWHP and pulled the car off the dyno and installed an O/R H-Pipe (MAC) and pulled 308RWHP.

I could not find the "after fix" dyno sheet but its posted here some where.

med_gallery_1217_503_60759.jpg

Keep in mind these are some old files....back in early 2000.

Naz
Did you use a MGT as your base file run?..:lol:

Kidding C.

Mine put down 309HP/304TQ with mods in sig.
And you had Alum. DS/FW/shorties.:shrug:

99ElectricCobra

2003 Cobra #1609
Established Member
Any truth to the statement "4.30's will hurt you on the dyno some?"

Someone mentioned it? but I have no way to confirm or deny? I simply don't know:shrug:

totheduals

Established Member
Alot depends on the altitude and how brave of a tune you got.

I made 292rwhp at 1650 altitude. That was with out Headers, pullies or carbon fiber driveshaft. With those 3 on I hope to get to 310rwhp.

So with only exhaust I have never seen or heard of 310rwhp!

Mods listed below

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Alot depends on the altitude and how brave of a tune you got.

altitude has nothing to do with SAE numbers

OP My car made 300/303 SAE with a FR500 catback, Mac Prochamber midpipe and a K&N

EDIT: Just pulled out my little folder with all my dyno sheets and i am sorry to say i lied...those were standard numbers the SAE numbers were 295/299

Last edited:

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
I put made 282 bone stock, so I imagine 310 is not far off with mid pipe and catback. Is this with stock tune or is the car tuned as well? Like previously stated, every dyno and car is going to be different, but I'd say those numbers are definitely feasible.

POISND U

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Established Member
There are a lot of variables involved. SAE or Standard correction, when and how the dyno itself was calibrated and what type of dyno. My one buddy's 01 Cobra dyno'd 21 whp lower than it did on the same exact dyno 4 months earlier just because the shop recalibrated the thing. You really don't see many '99 or '01's going much past 300 whp with just bolt-ons. If you want to go past that you are looking at LT's, cams, port & polish or some sort of power adder.

Dynos are great for tuning and nut-swinging but other than that the real power test is your 1/4 mile trap speeds.

More truth in that post than anywhere else in the thread. Last time I looked, no one races dynos.

To the OP, any 99/01 doing better than 290 with a midpipe and catback is unusual, if not BS.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
More truth in that post than anywhere else in the thread. Last time I looked, no one races dynos.

To the OP, any 99/01 doing better than 290 with a midpipe and catback is unusual, if not BS.

indeed sir

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member

How so? So you're saying anything over 8rwhp more than my car made stock is BS with those 2 mods? I know those mods won't net huge gains, but I would hope for more than 8rwhp.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
My numbers (294.18 rwhp and 295.96 rwtq SAE) are with just a Magnaflow catback, BBK CAI and Alum driveshaft.

:shrug:

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
It varies car to car, shop to shop and dyno to dyno. Some cars have 20k miles some are putting down numbers with 80k or more on the clock. 275 ish is a good conservative number. If you dyno more than that good for you but I would say higher results than that are not typical, especially on the '99s. I wonder all the time how much power I'm missing from having a "fixed" lower intake clogged with 63k miles worth of sucked in oil goo.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
I dont know any Cobra guys with just a midpipe catback. But DC97COBRA's car has that plus a few other things. Still on the stock manifolds and intake manifold and he puts down 317rwhp and can outrun my SS makind almost 330rwhp. 310 sounds a little much for a car with just exhaust but all dynos vary like others say.

My SS put down different numbers(pretty big difference too) on the SAME dyno at the SAME shop on a DIFFERENT day about 7 months later. Dynos vary.

01LaserCobra

Established Member
I have an 01 vert with just installed pypes o/r X and flowmaster cat back, and JLT CAI. I have a dyno tune scheduled for Monday, I'll post my info then

shurur

Established Member
NASVT fixed!!!

General consensus for NA ~320 RWHP with 99-01 DOHC C-Head 4.6L:
K&N filter
OEM Cams
March damper
March hydraboost and WP pulleys
Long tubes
Hi Flow Cats/Cat Delete mid-pipe
Tune (canned..more $ for real tuner tune)

I've even seen ~330 RWHP if your OEM cams are degreed dead on...which is luck of the draw at assembly, as they are assembled by the brass chain links.

As I understand it, this is the reason some get 265 and some get 270+ RWHP stock.

Just having the cams off by a bit makes a difference.

360-370 RWHP:
106060 comp cams properly degreed.
short runner
Tune

west08

Established Member
NASVT fixed!!!

General consensus for NA ~320 RWHP with 99-01 DOHC C-Head 4.6L:
K&N filter
OEM Cams
March damper
March hydraboost and WP pulleys
Long tubes
Hi Flow Cats/Cat Delete mid-pipe
Tune (canned..more $ for real tuner tune)

I've even seen ~330 RWHP if your OEM cams are degreed dead on...which is luck of the draw at assembly, as they are assembled by the brass chain links.

As I understand it, this is the reason some get 265 and some get 270+ RWHP stock.

Just having the cams off by a bit makes a difference.

360-370 RWHP:
106060 comp cams properly degreed.
short runner
Tune

Do you know where the March damper is available? I can't seem to ever find it still in production/ for sale anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread