A Build of a Different Color- 1989 Jeep Comanche

Zemedici

Established Member
Gave her a quick wash. She looks soooo much better. The majority of the paint (save the hood and roof) seems to be saveable.

IMAG0043_zpsoewig2vh.jpg

She looks good! I like her. Black or chrome wheels would be awesome. :beer: The turn signals are extremely bright though...

mysteed

Established Member
She looks good! I like her. Black or chrome wheels would be awesome. :beer: The turn signals are extremely bright though...
Thanks, I'm hoping to try some paint restoration this weekend. Bright silver wheels are planned for now and the turn signals will get swapped out with the 97+ Cherokee swap.

mysteed

Established Member
Well... we're back... in the car again.

This past Sunday the wife & I embarked on, what was supposed to be, a 2 hour drive to the little town of Social Circle (southeast of Atlanta) to get a set of 5 wheels off of a 2014 Wrangler with less than 1000 miles on them. Well the trip started fine except for the traffic (typical Atlanta even on a Sunday), and the GPS kept going bonkers due to poor coverage.

IMAG0112_zps9j9pqx3k.jpg

I should have known that Malcom's Chaos Theory would come into play during this trip. We made it a few miles down I-20 before we had a tire completely blow out with almost no warning.

IMAG0076_zpsm3zybofz.jpg

Thankfully I had my spare and tools with me so with cars buzzing along in the lane next to me (thanks fellas for moving over!) I got the spare tire changed successfully and off we went. Or at least so I thought till we made it 200 yards down the road and the spare decided to go completely flat.

IMAG0075_zpseaq6set0.jpg

At that point I had to steel my pride and call my father for assistance. Unfortunately my mother had borrowed his truck that morning so he had to go to the shop & borrow the shuttle vehicle to come and rescue me. Fortunately for us the standard Mustang wheels from 1994-2004 fit the Comanche so with the aid of a decent jack and a spare off of my Cobra we were able to make it back home. I am still waiting on my wheel adapters to come in before I can put the new wheels on the truck.

mysteed

Established Member
I put on the new wheels after my adapters came in and came to the realization that I will need to lift the truck at least 2" in order to maintain the full lock to lock steering. I could have cut the fender lines and flairs a lot, but that wasn't an option in my mind. I have the rear lift parts already procured and am waiting on UPS to deliver my front lift.

Current state of the truck:
IMAG0115_zpsnh79vcfr.jpg

Fast forward a few weeks:

God help us, we're in the hands of engineers

Once I added the wheels and tires I had in my last post I realized that I needed to lift the truck at least 2" in order to not cut my fenders a lot to clear the wheels. Obviously when lifting a Jeep there are just a ton of choices for lift height and even more ways to do so. After doing a lot of research I decided on Chevy S10 drop shackles in the rear and coil spacers in the front, which ends up being about 2" of lift overall with the truck. I figured that since I was already tearing down most of the front suspension to install my front coil spacers I should go ahead and make a few upgrades. I replaced the front brake lines (they were rotted out) with longer lines from the YJ, I replaced the front sway bar end links with one from a 97 F350 (beefier and longer in length), I replaced the front and rear shocks with longer Monroe OE Spectrum ones, and I replaced the rear center brake line with a longer one from a YJ.

Before:
IMAG0115_zpsnh79vcfr.jpg

Here is the lift after it's had a few days to settle:
IMAG0128_zpscscovpiz.jpg

Since I first got the MJ I've put about 600 miles on the truck and it has since developed a small oil leak at the oil pan. So I need to get that fixed as well as set the alignment. MY painter is finally back in town so hopefully I meet with him this week to discuss painting options for the truck.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
I put on the new wheels after my adapters came in and came to the realization that I will need to lift the truck at least 2" in order to maintain the full lock to lock steering. I could have cut the fender lines and flairs a lot, but that wasn't an option in my mind. I have the rear lift parts already procured and am waiting on UPS to deliver my front lift.

Current state of the truck:
IMAG0115_zpsnh79vcfr.jpg

Fast forward a few weeks:

God help us, we're in the hands of engineers

Once I added the wheels and tires I had in my last post I realized that I needed to lift the truck at least 2" in order to not cut my fenders a lot to clear the wheels. Obviously when lifting a Jeep there are just a ton of choices for lift height and even more ways to do so. After doing a lot of research I decided on Chevy S10 drop shackles in the rear and coil spacers in the front, which ends up being about 2" of lift overall with the truck. I figured that since I was already tearing down most of the front suspension to install my front coil spacers I should go ahead and make a few upgrades. I replaced the front brake lines (they were rotted out) with longer lines from the YJ, I replaced the front sway bar end links with one from a 97 F350 (beefier and longer in length), I replaced the front and rear shocks with longer Monroe OE Spectrum ones, and I replaced the rear center brake line with a longer one from a YJ.

Before:
IMAG0115_zpsnh79vcfr.jpg

Here is the lift after it's had a few days to settle:
IMAG0128_zpscscovpiz.jpg

Since I first got the MJ I've put about 600 miles on the truck and it has since developed a small oil leak at the oil pan. So I need to get that fixed as well as set the alignment. MY painter is finally back in town so hopefully I meet with him this week to discuss painting options for the truck.

It's crazy that wheels and a small lift make such a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread