a/c problem

71catruck

Established Member
So the compressor went out so I flushed the whole system replaced the compressor and accumulator. I put 2oz of oil in the compressor and 2oz in the acculator. It was charged with 2 lb of Freon. If I turn the system on it either dies or will run really rough but will blow cold for a few seconds then will turn off.

71catruck

Established Member
That's what I'm thinking but I'm trying to find a shop that will just put some gauges on it and tell me. They want to start from scratch and drain and recharge.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
or find a 20% off coupon and get some cheap gauges from harbor freight, just make sure to tighten up all the connections on em first and theyre usually ok

71catruck

Established Member
ya i flushed the system and did it in reverse to the flow of the system. yes 105 is to high but what i wasn't thinking about when i typed that was the system wasn't running there for high and low side should be relatively equal. The other switch came in and it helped some, the system ran for 30 sec. or more then turned off. This last time it was charged it was only charged with 1.9 lbs and its suppose to be 2.1 so im hopping the electrical is fixed and it just needs a little bump in pressure know.

71catruck

Established Member
Well I replaced them a few years ago but since that the pump fraged out so bad it pissed the orifice tube past the 45 degree bend in the line. I had to get a new one.

71catruck

Established Member
So I got a set of gauges and the low side was kicking off at 20 psi. I got a bottle of 134a and went to bump up the pressure a little and now the low side reads 80 psi like it's to high.

71catruck

Established Member
Yes but no. It was reading 80 but the compressor wasn't on long enough to let it drop lower. It started at 105 on both sides with the engine off. I turned it on it made it down to 80 on the low side then shut off.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
how much did you add?

was there a reason to cut it off at 80, like did it stop dropping?

71catruck

Established Member
ok so i drained some out so the low side so it was cycling. it would turn on and drop down to 20 then shut off. when it got back up to 42 it would turn back on. the pump was only staying on for a few seconds. the hi side wasnt moving much at all. i would say it was around 115.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
When I went through my A/C installation I called my brother-in-law when I had some short cycling. He owns a couple of tire stores and has worked on A/C systems for a long time. He said it's more critical to fill R134A to target weight instead of pressure. R12 amounts were more easily judged by pressure than R134A. I added ~1/2 lb more based on his recommendation and the short cycling went away. I did have a low pressure switch go bad before like virtual said. At least they're cheap.

b_turbo454

Established Member
If you are still having problems with this, check the orifice tube, even flushing the system will not get the metal flake out of that tube, that will give you your crazy high low side readings too. Typical whenever a compressor goes.

71catruck

Established Member
Ya a good vacume was pulled and I replaced the orafice tube with a new one. It was some kind of crazy new self mettering one that summiteracing sigested so maybe ill pull that out and swap in a normal one. I really hate a/c systems, they seam like witch craft. Thanks though guys.

Users who are viewing this thread