A funny, true story some of you might laugh at.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So back in the late '70s, I was the Scout/Pack Master for a group of about 20 cub scouts in town. My son was one of them. We planned a weekend overnighter at a Boy Scout campground in northwest Connecticut. While I was planning the weekend events with my adult volunteers, I remembered stories I had heard about "snipes" back when I was a Boy Scout. A snipe was a fictitious bird that could snap at you, but you could catch them in a bag while clicking long sticks together.

So at the end of the first day at the camp, we were getting the young kids primed for the snipe hunt we planned at dusk by telling "stories" of snipe encounters. Woodpeckers we could hear in the distance were said to be snipes. Heck, one kid so believed my stories that he told the other cub scouts that his grandfather owned a zoo and kept snipes in a large cage. LOL. We passed out "catch" bags and sticks to the kids, and started to get ready to line them up outside the camp cabin.

I had to visit the bathroom for a quick pee, and as I was standing there this little kid (James) about 7-8 years old came up behind me. He was whimpering so I asked him what was wrong. He said quietly, “Mr. Arthur, I'm afraid of the snipes. They're going to bite and hurt me. I don't want to go to the field in the dark to catch them.” He had caught me by surprise, but I really didn't want him to go to the field being so afraid. So I said, "James, there is no such thing as a snipe. It's a make believe bird. We're just going to go to the field and bang sticks together, but nobody is going to catch or see any snipes because it's make-believe." James started smiling and thanked me for telling him. I told him to not tell anyone else so that it wouldn't ruin the fun for the other kids.

We started walking to the open field which was about 100 yards away. As we were walking, I couldn't help but notice that James was walking close to me. When we got about halfway there, I felt a tug on my jeans. It was James. I looked down at his face and noticed in the dim light that he wasn't smiling. I said, "James, what's the matter?" His reply was classic. He said, "But Mr. Arthur, what if you're wrong?" I burst out with laughter. We shortly thereafter arrived at the field and the kids had a blast clicking sticks together and trying to catch snipes in their bags. None were caught, of course, but it was a fun night! I think James even had a good time.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
reminds me of my step sister when she was little...

We've got a skeet thrower mounted in a wooden box and just open the front and rear doors when you wanna use it. Her dad went to open it up, she ran up and yelled at him "stop you'll let all skeet out", apparently she thought they were some kind of bird :ROFLMAO:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Good job not tormenting the boy by keeping up with the "dangerous hunt" storyline.

Also, did you accidentally copy in part of another story at the end?

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Great story.

Our snipe hunts usually involved a new kid. Said new kid would be sent up in a tree to "call in the snipes". So we'd show him how to make a snipe call (yelling and sounding like a dumb ass) and send him on his way. The story was that we'd be in the forest waiting for the snipe to come in. Once he got up in the tree, we all left. lol. We could hear the kid yelling, usually, for hours. lol. Then they'd catch on. It was a riot.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
For a few seconds I thought you were about to say you went camping in Dudleytown.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Good job not tormenting the boy by keeping up with the "dangerous hunt" storyline.

Also, did you accidentally copy in part of another story at the end?
LOL. Yeah! I had pasted that to use as an example of how I might write out my own experience with the kids. I forgot to remove it. Duh! Good catch.

There was a bit more to my story than I posted because I didn't want the story to be too long. What we didn't know that night was that a Boy Scout troop from our town was there at the same time. They knew we were going to go to the field, so about a dozen Boy Scouts were hiding in the woods on the edge of the field, and when my Cub Scouts arrived and started their snipe hunt, the Boy Scouts started screaming from the woods, scaring the hell out of the younger boys. My Cub Scouts ran blindly through the woods along the field, two of them falling into some water and got soaked. Nobody got hurt, fortunately, but it was a hilarious night I'm sure those Cubbies never forgot.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
At our scout camp we took the kids through the woods at night down to a big dock. The stars reflecting in the water was just incredible. Then one dad would come up out of the water onto the end of the dock in a Bigfoot costume. Those of us not with the kids set up a perimeter to catch the kids running off the dock so they wouldn't get lost in the woods.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
Being an outdoorsy type in my youth along with being a hunter, knew that snipe actually existed as a shorebird that was hunted in marshes. Didn't get me with that one when I was in scouts.

Users who are viewing this thread