A little longer than temporary storage...

Anabolic

Banned
sure think im crazy, wait and see your oil look like jello after not touching it for 3 years.. or the filter how it won't come off... only thing you should keep full if NOONE'S going to be touching it for 3 years is everything BUT the oil...
oil breaks down over time
if you have someone loyal to go there every month and start it then leave the oil in it

if not, listen to these guys or take my advice..
drain the oil, add gas treatment/stabilizer to your tank, buy 7qts and place it inside the car with a new filter (so noonewill have to red tape it) disconnect the negative on the battery, place all four corners on jackstands and get a sealed encloser or a controlled garage so it's not exposed to moisture....

if you have someone to go and start it once a month (actually do.... not say) then listen to these guys!

Last edited:

AKcobra

Established Member
Man I feel bad for you. I lived in Fairbanks, AK for 17 years. Brutal winters, summers can be nice if it's not smokey from forest fires.
Find someone you can trust to start the car periodically and maintain it. Gonna be a long 3 years for you.

black 10th vert

Established Member
sure think im crazy, wait and see your oil look like jello after not touching it for 3 years.. or the filter how it won't come off... only thing you should keep full if NOONE'S going to be touching it for 3 years is everything BUT the oil...
oil breaks down over time
if you have someone loyal to go there every month and start it then leave the oil in it

if not, listen to these guys or take my advice..
drain the oil, add gas treatment/stabilizer to your tank, buy 7qts and place it inside the car with a new filter (so noonewill have to red tape it) disconnect the negative on the battery, place all four corners on jackstands and get a sealed encloser or a controlled garage so it's not exposed to moisture....

if you have someone to go and start it once a month (actually do.... not say) then listen to these guys!

Ok, I'm calling BS on that statement. I personally have seen cars that have sat for 20-30 years, and yes they seize up, but the oil doesn't turn to jello - the gas does. I would never drain the oil, or recommend anyone do that - especially since most of us run synthetics which are way more stable than conventional oils! You are asking for a world of hurt if anyone tries to start the car without checking, or if you yourself forget after that period of time!

AKcobra

Established Member
If you need help with anything in Fairbanks pm me I have a lot of connections up there. Might be able to help you out or point you in the right direction. Get your autostart (you will need it) at street sounds from Harold. Great guys!

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I will most likely be storing the car for 3 years seeing as I don't normally travel back to the states on my vacation time.
Longest I have stored my car is a year so it sat covered in my garage. long term I cant give you a lot of advice.

However, when you get to alaska NEVER, EVER say you "don't normally travel back to the states on my vacation time" or anything close to it. Alaskans like Hawaiians do not take kindly to someone that gives the impression they don't consider them "in the states". Refer to them as the lower 48 if you want to make a distinction LOL! if you go to hawaii refer to "the contenental 48" or something along those lines.

Anabolic

Banned
Ok, I'm calling BS on that statement. I personally have seen cars that have sat for 20-30 years, and yes they seize up, but the oil doesn't turn to jello - the gas does. I would never drain the oil, or recommend anyone do that - especially since most of us run synthetics which are way more stable than conventional oils! You are asking for a world of hurt if anyone tries to start the car without checking, or if you yourself forget after that period of time!

lol so you guys are only basing your "CALL OF BS" towards me based on your own forgetfullness? :lol:

don't leave the oil in a car that sits for 3 years and give yourself a sign so you wont forget.. ok then red tape it

black 10th vert

Established Member
Hell no, I was calling BS on your statement of the oil turning to jello after 3 years!:lol:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Hell no, I was calling BS on your statement of the oil turning to jello after 3 years!:lol:
i just tossed about 8 quarts of 8 year old oil (unopened) a couple of 8 year old opened and some use oil that had been sittin in a bottle for 8 years ... NONE of it had turned to jello. Maybe I forgot to add the jello powder, after 8 years I really don't remember. All of it was either synthetic or synthetic blend.

Monster Mach

Established Member
Bring it to ny... ill drive your car daily for you :)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Anabolic

Banned
you guys need jello powder to rub on your heads to cure your numb skulls...

sure leave your broken down oil in the car sitting for 3 years and then start it up. i'll favorite this post and come look for an update in 3 years on how your advice blew his car up

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
you guys need jello powder to rub on your heads to cure your numb skulls...

sure leave your broken down oil in the car sitting for 3 years and then start it up. i'll favorite this post and come look for an update in 3 years on how your advice blew his car up
it won't blow his car up. first thing you do when you get ready to take it out of storage is drain the oil, and put new oil and a new filter on. sheesh. but either way it won't turn to jello.

mr-proper

Established Member
what s the problem??? just take it with you!!! driving your OWN cobra in ALASKA?? you travel the world, you may enjoyed too! why would you store it for 3years?? if that car means something special to you, then take it with you! and update us with some nice pictures of your cobra and the alaskan scenery

dont forget you only live once
so go ahead and enjoyed the crap out of it :beer::rockon:

Last edited:

Monster Mach

Established Member
Lol at the oil turning into jello... iv got oil that's been outside in a milk jug since my dad was alive (so 14 years) its not jello... its seperated... but not jello... remember most of that oil.. was in the earth for millions of years.. the additives arnt going to make it jiggle

AKcobra

Established Member
what s the problem??? just take it with you!!! driving your OWN cobra in ALASKA?? you travel the world, you may enjoyed too! why would you store it for 3years?? if that car means something special to you, then take it with you! and update us with some nice pictures of your cobra and the alaskan scenery

dont forget you only live once
so go ahead and enjoyed the crap out of it :beer::rockon:

Not worth it to take the cobra. Crap roads, no local tacks in Fairbanks, and generally to cold to drive it. Nearest track is in Palmer, limited open weekends, and quite the trip from Fairbanks to Palmer.

Monster Mach

Established Member
14 years is longer, but another indicator to drain/change oil upon returning in 3years

Exactly.. if anyone wants pics ill pour some into a jug and take a few of 14 year old new york climate oil

Users who are viewing this thread