• Yes

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 81 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheHitman™

Established Member
In Europe they actually pay fair wages to people that work at restaurants which means you normally don't have to tip. What's stopping US companies from doing this? Profit margins. They don't have to spend as much on their employees which means they can make more money.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
****, it's been a while since I was sucked into a tipping thread...why not....

In Europe they actually pay fair wages to people that work at restaurants which means you normally don't have to tip. What's stopping US companies from doing this? Profit margins. They don't have to spend as much on their employees which means they can make more money.

The service sucks in Europe. I recently visited like 9 countries, so I think I can say that. I didn't eat at high end steak houses or anything, just average daily meal type places.

Now...I should explain the term "sucks" first. By sucks, I mean it's completely different. First off, sodas do not have free refills, thus no one gets refills. Water comes in a 1 liter bottle thus again no refills. You will see your server sometime after you've been sat...whenever they can get to you. No hurry for them as the have no money to lose. Screw multitasking. After you order, they won't be back till they have your food. Why should they stop by or even look your way? You don't want a refill. You forgot to ask for a side of ________? You'll have to wave someone down probably. Once they drop off your food, they won't be back till they see empty plates. Check up on how your food tastes? They don't care. Then you get your check, and they will bring you change when they can.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
The biggest thing from that article: So if you're bothered by restaurants that add a mandatory service charge to the bill, don't worry: You're paying the same amount, albeit in a different form, that you normally would."

No restaurant is making money hand over fist with the owner sleeping on piles of $100's. A majority of restaurants fail and that's with them keeping the margins as close as possible. So you want every server to make $10 an hour, $15 an hour? Prices will go up. So why not just leave them as they are, and tip properly for good service or nada for horrible service?

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
It always bothers me when I go to a restaurant that automatically adds a tip to the bill. If you're a shitty server my tip is going to reflect that. I actually went to a restaurant once that had shitty service and an automatic tip added to the bill. Never received one refill or a check back from the server after we got the meal. They forgot to add the tip onto the check. I paid the bill and when I went to leave I was chased down by the waitress and manager to pay the tip. Needless to say I'd didn't pay shit. They were throwing a fit.

01GTB

Established Member
Get rid of tipping and you will get rid of good servers. You will essentially turn everything into fast food with a bunch of half-assed employees. Ask any even decent server what they think. If they would like to get rid of the practice it's because they aren't worth a shit at it.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Im all for it. Its a service industry. If youre a great server i will compensate you well. But, if youre horrible, you deserve nothing.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
It always bothers me when I go to a restaurant that automatically adds a tip to the bill.

There's usually a valid reason for this. For big parties, people don't understand that things happen a lot slower. Then at the same time the server is getting slowed down by getting the order for a party of 10, the servers other party of 2 is upset with their lack of super quick refills and decides 10% is fine. Now the server is already out money, and if 18% wasn't included into the party of 10s check, the person paying could think that his coke was also not refilled quick enough, so 10% is also fine. It's not the party of 10 got bad service, but dude chugged his coke as the server started to take the other for 10 people. That's a lot of orders to take, questions to answer, and then that order has to be rang in.

yellow03cobra

Established Member
Get rid of tipping and you will get rid of good servers. You will essentially turn everything into fast food with a bunch of half-assed employees. Ask any even decent server what they think. If they would like to get rid of the practice it's because they aren't worth a shit at it.
I was fairly sure that this was already the case. I can't order the things I want because I know they will be wrong. If I made that many mistakes at my job I would get fired. I don't get tipped at my employer. I get put in a random drawing for doing well because they wanted to cut cost. End it.

VenomVeins

Established Member
I'll bite.

Anyone ever been to Europe or any other country that just pays a high hourly wage to servers/bartenders instead of tips? If it is anywhere OTHER than a resort, the service ****ing SUCKS out loud. It isnt even up for debate....even at the higher end places, you will not get decent service. Why? Because they already get thier hourly wage and dont rely on tips. Refills, warm friendly smiles, and flirting with the hot waitress? Forget about it. Doesnt exist.

The servers here in the US are light years better than europe, because they rely on thier tips to eat and pay bills. There is a MOTIVATION there to make the guest happy and the experience good so that they get a good tip and the guest comes back. In the almost 2 years i spent all through Europe, i got good service twice. TWICE! They could not give a shit for the most part.

Keep it the way it is, and let the cheap asses continue to be cheap....like the poster above me, i want to tip for hot ass, smile, quick service, and the friendly welcome.

yellow03cobra

Established Member
I'll bite.

Anyone ever been to Europe or any other country that just pays a high hourly wage to servers/bartenders instead of tips? If it is anywhere OTHER than a resort, the service ****ing SUCKS out loud. It isnt even up for debate....even at the higher end places, you will not get decent service. Why? Because they already get thier hourly wage and dont rely on tips. Refills, warm friendly smiles, and flirting with the hot waitress? Forget about it. Doesnt exist.

The servers here in the US are light years better than europe, because they rely on thier tips to eat and pay bills. There is a MOTIVATION there to make the guest happy and the experience good so that they get a good tip and the guest comes back. In the almost 2 years i spent all through Europe, i got good service twice. TWICE! They could not give a shit for the most part.

Keep it the way it is, and let the cheap asses continue to be cheap....like the poster above me, i want to tip for hot ass, smile, quick service, and the friendly welcome.

cheap, okay. I've had maybe 2 in america this year that I though deserved more than 10%. I sent my wife out to get a coffee for me and she was told at the window to hurry up and pay because it was cold outside and then came home with the wrong order. This is typical service no matter where I go. Last father's day my family was told while being seated that the server was simply to busy in her area and that we needed to go somewhere else to be served.

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I personally tip quite well at places that I frequent, and will ask for the same server if not sitting at the bar. In doing so, my experience is perfect every time. Server will usually greet us with our drinks and watch our table like a hawk. For me, the extra 5-10% is worth it.

yellow03cobra

Established Member
As a kid my friends and I, a group of 3-4, would go out for breakfast at 2-3 in the morning and tip $20 every time for putting up with us. After a while they started to expect it and the service was poor we didn't go back. I realized in life when I felt my time was worth more money I went out and found a better job and developed a skill. The rest of that industry should do the same.

Last edited:

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
I rarely get bad service, and when I do, I let them know, both with a shit tip and then a big explanation on why they suck monkey balls at their job. I stopped going to Buffalo Wild Wings because the service sucks the big one. When I complained to management, they looked at me like I was in the wrong. When I gave them a bad survey, they sent me a message saying I could have 10% off my next meal. F them.

I bet if you ask the really good servers whether they would like tipping abolished, they would say no. They may get the shaft a few times, but more often than not, they are getting good tips.

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
There's usually a valid reason for this. For big parties, people don't understand that things happen a lot slower. Then at the same time the server is getting slowed down by getting the order for a party of 10, the servers other party of 2 is upset with their lack of super quick refills and decides 10% is fine. Now the server is already out money, and if 18% wasn't included into the party of 10s check, the person paying could think that his coke was also not refilled quick enough, so 10% is also fine. It's not the party of 10 got bad service, but dude chugged his coke as the server started to take the other for 10 people. That's a lot of orders to take, questions to answer, and then that order has to be rang in.
That is understandable. In my experience it was in a chi chi's restaurant in Pittsburgh. There was 4 of us and the place was empty. I think the place is out of business now. Surprising. I usually tip very well. If the restaurant looks empty and you're in the back pissing around, then not so much. There are a lot of great servers out there. There are also a lot of lazy ones. I'm willing to bet the great ones make more money at the end of the day compared to the lazy ones and the lazy ones constantly complain about it lol. You know when you go into your favorite place and cringe when you get that server and wished you had the other one.

Last edited:

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Im all for it. Its a service industry. If youre a great server i will compensate you well. But, if youre horrible, you deserve nothing.

Exactly.

Case in point. Me the gf, my little brother, and my grandmother go to Olive Garden last Saturday.

Waitress walks up: " Here's the specials"
My gf: " Is this...."
Waitress: " Wait.. Stop. Let me start over. Hi I'm Katie. Here's the specials"

Me just sitting there with a puzzled look on my face.

Grandmother: Can I have a salad.
At the same moment.. The waitress pulls out her phone, looks at it, puts it back looks back at my grandmother and says
" Oh did you say something"

She immediately lost her tip, and our complete meal was comped.

The fact that some people in the service industry are so blatantly rude and blinded by " Oh I'm pretty. I don't need to be nice" blows my mind

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
I don't think tipping should be abolished. More like cheap asses should avoid going out to eat and complaining about it.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
If tips were abolished my wife's income would decrease by over 50%! Because she is such a superior worker she rakes in WAY more cash then any of her coworkers. Now if restaurant or bar related businesses' paid a salary based on the exemplary service provided that would be a different matter.

U.M.

Users who are viewing this thread